Need a help...

Silentwolfdog

Reaction score
I am working on a paper for my grad school.

I am working on my own autoethnography as one that is an outsider of two cultures, deaf and hearing.

I am wondering as whether if you know any good journal sources or know books in related to deaf people, ones who are not in either deaf or hearing culture/world? I am guessing I am referring to those that are small “d” deaf instead of Deaf. Someone who lives between both worlds but could never really fit in either one.

Seems like that group is not often discussed in comparison to groups that are Deaf or those that are oralist of some sort.

I would like ones that got facts, history, stories, and theories such as how those people were affected growing up being that way probably because they weren't accepted or that they can't accept either one. Anything like those would help making it more literature-like for my paper beside my own experiences.

Thanks!

Dancing Without Music might be a useful book resource for you. For an ethnography, you might also consider Damned for their Differnce: the Social Construction of Deafness as Disability. If you run short on resources, you can also use other cultural studies and synthesize them with studies for the deaf experience.

Back