Near deaf girl with a hearing guy

Jessa6625

Reaction score
Its hard for me to be with a hearing guy because he doesn't understand what's going on with me. He thinks I am crazy for saying that I am going deaf when he knows that I have a really bad hearing problem. He thinks this is a joke. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Its hard for me to be with a hearing guy because he doesn't understand what's going on with me. He thinks I am crazy for saying that I am going deaf when he knows that I have a really bad hearing problem. He thinks this is a joke. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Practically every young girl who arrives here after watching a few episodes of Switched at Birth...

:wave: Jessa, I've had that happen to me before, but mainly with family and friends. I can't tell you about relationships because I've never dated, but if it is really bothering you, you need to talk to him. I know that when people think I'm crazy that I call myself hoh even though 'APD is a learning disability' (which it is both those things), they scoff at me and it really messes with my head. I don't want the same for you, I suggest you calmly reiterate how you feel about his rude behaviour, and hopefully he'll listen.

I hope this helps! :fingersx:

Last edited:
Your boyfriend and you would take turns driving car with turbocharged engine and then boast what cool ride you have. Poof!!! Neither of you will be thinking about hearing loss.

I think joke is too strong a word. I think your boyfriend probably just takes it lightly at the moment. He likes you and it is not a big deal for him.

I have many friends who say the same thing(they are good at support), but there are some honest ones who will tell me I'm only getting about 50% of a conversation.

To be sure, men don't think as intensely about conversation as women. Yea, we like conversations, but it's not a deal breaker if a woman can't communicate well.

On your side, you need to take care of the fact that you are going through some changes. Sign up for a relay service and take some ASL classes.

You'll be fine. Life doesn't end here.

Jessa6625- i have this problem too some hearing guys are great support and learn sign to commuicate but others dont understand we feel alone when dont know whats being said try to explain it ask him to take asl classes with u if he doesnt then he is not supporting u and what u are going thru. Good luck :)

if you dont love him dont stay with him..Anything that cause distress to someone is not a joke

Thanks... Just have had problems with this before

Yeah, unfortunately some people need to be told a hundred times before they 'get it', and even after you show all physical evidence, they just say, "oh. sure you're going deaf..." Some people have to be told several times until they get it, others may never understand. But as long as you know and understand that you have a hearing loss and you are telling the truth and you are NOT crazy, nothing else really matters. If someone can't take the time to understand you, then they aren't worth your time. If you really want to make him understand, fully explain again how you hear and what helps to better communicate with him.
Keep me posted, I hope everything works out! Praying for you! :)

Back