NCLB, what?

posts from hell

Reaction score
In these days.... Money talks. We need to pay our teachers better.

Money totally talks. Saw a documentary that shows the difference between public education in Germany and public education in America. Germany has no teachers' union and the funding is attached to the student, not to the school district. So, the more students a school attracts, the more money it makes. This generates competition for quality teachers that would attract the students.

In America, public schools get fundings no matter what the quality of their education and/or teachers are. This generates no competition to attract top quality teachers. Private schools depend on quality of education and facilities to attract students and make a profit therefore the best private schools tend to have the best quality teachers.

Of all of Bush's disastrous bills, NCLB is probably the one that has had the farthest reaching effects. If NCLB is not completely scrapped and done away with, the vast majority of the next generations of children graduating from public school are going to be dumber than a horse's ass. We will really start to see the damage in the next few years, as the first generation of children who entered school as NCLB took effect begin to graduate from high school.

:hmm: But maybe that's the point? Create a large, low-intelligence workforce to do menial labor and not understand intellectual discourse? Nice and docile.

Just like in China.

Of all of Bush's disastrous bills, NCLB is probably the one that has had the farthest reaching effects. If NCLB is not completely scrapped and done away with, the vast majority of the next generations of children graduating from public school are going to be dumber than a horse's ass. We will really start to see the damage in the next few years, as the first generation of children who entered school as NCLB took effect begin to graduate from high school.

:hmm: But maybe that's the point? Create a large, low-intelligence workforce to do menial labor and not understand intellectual discourse? Nice and docile.

Just like in China.

That is what I am worried about for my son. I teach him at home in the evenings because I know that the schools are teaching to test.

At my school, we dont have that pressure so I can be creative withhow I teach my students. Thank goodness!

Money totally talks. Saw a documentary that shows the difference between public education in Germany and public education in America. Germany has no teachers' union and the funding is attached to the student, not to the school district. So, the more students a school attracts, the more money it makes. This generates competition for quality teachers that would attract the students.

In America, public schools get fundings no matter what the quality of their education and/or teachers are. This generates no competition to attract top quality teachers. Private schools depend on quality of education and facilities to attract students and make a profit therefore the best private schools tend to have the best quality teachers.

This is much like it is in Alberta (not sure about across Canada). Although we do have teachers unions, school budgets are based on enrollment - a certain dollar amount is allocated in care of each child (amounts vary according to grade). Your school loses kids, the funding decreases for that school.

Back