NCDOT transportation board to hear proposal on mileage tax

One of the reasons I left NC...seems I was taxed to death!...Road Tax?...When I moved back to NC from Florida, never heard of it....And a lot of the Roads in NC are awful!....Where's the $$ going?....Got sick of it, along with Property Tax....:shock:

Florida doesn't require inspections either...and heard that our Tag Renewals (the cost) will be a lot lesser this year....

Maybe they'll change it like NC did ... they did away with the windshield inspection sticker years ago and just do electronically with the DMV and switched it around where the inspections are due at the same time tag renewal is due. So if the tag is expired chances are the inspection is expired too.

That would be nice, that sticker is hard to get off my front window, the angle and the dash make that a challenging job. Up until a few years ago, Virginia still had county stickers in the front window, next to the large yellow state inspection sticker. The county sticker was to make sure you paid your county property tax on the vehicle.

I also hate the whole front license plate thing Virginia has, but that is another topic entirely.

One of the reasons I left NC...seems I was taxed to death!...Road Tax?...When I moved back to NC from Florida, never heard of it....And a lot of the Roads in NC are awful!....Where's the $$ going?....Got sick of it, along with Property Tax....:shock:

Florida doesn't require inspections either...and heard that our Tag Renewals (the cost) will be a lot lesser this year....

Highway use tax ... it sucks ... they go by the book value of the vehicle/trailer to base it on ... not what you actually pay for it ... I bought a used 4x6 utility trailer in 2012 for $250 but they said it doesn't matter still charged me almost $80 for it all using a higher tax rate. And county taxes come due a month after you renew the tag.

Let's say that a person lives in NC, but pads on most of their miles driving in SC or VA. NC would be "stealing" a lot of money from different states. You see, those drivers put miles and wear outside NC. For that reason, I'm not for mileage tax.

I don't think anyone is for mileage tax except for the government ... someone mentioned it on an earlier post they need to reduce taxes and cut the budget ... find ways to spend less instead of taxing people to death ...

Seems that no matter how much we get taxes or how higher taxes go up, government continues to go broke. Ridiculous.

Let's say that a person lives in NC, but pads on most of their miles driving in SC or VA. NC would be "stealing" a lot of money from different states. You see, those drivers put miles and wear outside NC. For that reason, I'm not for mileage tax.
This is true- especially for those who work in SC (Columbia mostly)- I knew a few co-workers who lived in NC but worked in SC.

No windshield stickers anymore? Whoohoo! I still have the the NC one from 8 years ago the last time I lived here on my car- I couldn't get the damned thing off. I didn't live in GA and AZ long enough to have to get inspections there then of course SC no inspections. I know that I won't need an inspection THIS year but will when it comes time to renew next year (If I am still living here in NC...:/).

Truth be told I'd rather live in a state where either I can use public transportation more or I have a close friend to help me with driving...

Emissions inspections have been abolished in FL since as long as I can remember relocating to Tampa. But an incentive is offered to those who own a hybrid vehicle unrestricted use of HOV lanes regatdless of number of people occupying a car.

Emissions inspections have been abolished in FL since as long as I can remember relocating to Tampa. But an incentive is offered to those who own a hybrid vehicle unrestricted use of HOV lanes regatdless of number of people occupying a car.

Yes, they abolished in 2000.

Back