'Nazi guard' deportation blocked

sara1981

Reaction score
'Nazi guard' deportation blocked
BBC NEWS | Americas | 'Nazi guard' deportation blocked

An 89-year-old man wanted in Germany on war crimes charges has been released from custody after his deportation from the US was blocked.

Earlier, US federal agents had detained Mr Demjanjuk at his home in Ohio, carrying him out in a wheelchair.

But a US federal appeals court granted an 11th hour stay of deportation after Mr Demjanjuk's family argued that he was too ill to be transported.

He is accused of being a guard at the Nazi death camp Sobibor in WWII.

Mr Demjanjuk denies the charges, claiming that he was captured by the Germans in his native Ukraine during the war and kept as a prisoner of war.

He was arrested at his home earlier on Tuesday and taken to a federal building in Cleveland, from where he was expected to be flown to Germany.

But the 6th Circuit US Court of Appeals intervened to prevent the deportation while it examined the case further.

A spokesman for Mr Demjanjuk's family said they were "delighted" by the decision.

"It's just a shame that Mr Demjanjuk had to go through the hell that he went through once again this morning," said Ed Nishnic.

Mr Demjanjuk's son, John Demjanjuk Jr, said if the "madness and inhumane action" of deportation was not stopped his father would die in hospital in Germany without standing trial.

He also criticised the manner of the arrest, saying the government had not kept a promise to give three to five day's notice of their arrival and to collect his father in an ambulance.

The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency has said it will continue electronic monitoring of Mr Demjanjuk and will "work co-operatively with the Department of Justice and the government of Germany to effect [his] removal".

Israeli trial

Mr Demjanjuk arrived in the US in 1952 as a refugee, settling in Cleveland, Ohio, where he worked in the automobile industry.

In 1988, Mr Demjanjuk was sentenced to death in Israel for crimes against humanity after Holocaust survivors identified him as the notorious "Ivan the Terrible", a guard at the Treblinka death camp.

Israel's highest court later overturned his sentence and freed him, after newly unearthed documents from the former Soviet Union indicated that "Ivan the Terrible" had probably been a different man.

Mr Demjanjuk returned to the US, but in 2002 had his US citizenship stripped because of his failure to disclose his work at Nazi camps when he first arrived as a refugee.

In 2005, a US immigration judge ruled that he could be deported to Germany, Poland or Ukraine.

Germany issued a warrant for his arrest last month, and his family have been fighting to prevent him from being deported ever since.

He faces charges of aiding the death of 29,000 Jews.

I don't like to see them live unpunished not matter how old and sick.

Their victims never got the chance to get old. :(

:mad2: He should have been deported back and then put in prison for what he did to the Jewish people. 29,000 Jews, and he gets to get away with it? UNACCEPTABLE!

I do not care that he is ill and frail. Many Jews in death camps were VERY ill and frail due to starvation and they died. They SUFFERED at the hands of this man and other NAZIs.

I will not blame Mr Demjanjuk. Who made him to do it??? He did nothing wrong on the USA soil for long time.

Almost 30 years ago, I worked at Pacific Bank in Seattle. Someone told me little story about old guy and his U-Boat. I learned that my co-worker was nazi - He was captain of U-Boat. She made me very upset and my stomach got sick. She learned that I am jewish. Took my time to think about our many workers did not know that I am Jewish.

Next day, I accept and forgave him. He did nothing wrong with our people at workplace. Later, he knew I am jewish. Still good friend with him.

I told him (ex-nazi uboat) that my mom's family tree (most females) were end up at Jew Camp. Also, my father's "far" family tree were Nazi Soldiers. Old guy felt bad to hear what is my story. I smile. Then, he smile, too.

No reason to hate someone from long time ago.

Perhaps he would feel better after a shower....a gas shower.

Where is Liebling on this one?

How do the German people feel about this?

Video of John Demjanjuk shows him walking without assistance.

Videos of John Demjanjuk walking briskly indicate he is healthier than he has claimed and is fit to be deported to Germany for helping the Nazis kill Jews, federal prosecutors said late Thursday.

Prosecutors released tapes that show the 89-year-old Demjanjuk getting in and out of a car without help April 6 -- a contrast, authorities say, to the man who groaned in apparent pain as agents carried him from his home April 14 in a wheelchair.

Video of John Demjanjuk shows him walking without assistance - Metro - cleveland.com

oldman.jpg

I read Today's Cleveland newspaper. It said that John Demjanjuk is faking some of health problems to stay US. His doctor never said he cannot fly to Germany. I believe that he should be deported to Germany now but I will wait to listen what s happened to next.

Well, if he never make it to federal court in Germany or Poland. If he dies, he'll be in God's court anyways.

Oh damn, I want him out of US.

Unfortunately, death penalty in Germany is illegal.

Yes, Foxrac is correct.

Death penalty is illegal in most Europe countries including Germany.
What will they do with him if they get him deported to Germany then?

Liebling, What do the German people think about this? Do they think US is protecting him?

I think we're being too gullible here and we need to clamp down on finding these ex-Nazi's and have them tried for the their crimes, old and frail doesn't even come in to the equation at all given the barbaric nature of Nazi Germany against Jews and other people they considered a lesser race. Women and children starved to death, brutal experiments were performed on camp victims, men were literally worked to death, if they collapsed they were forced back up to continue working or were shot on the spot. Many Jews had to dig their own graves against their will. They knew what they were digging, when finished with their grave they stood naked in the cold air, shaking from the cold and the fear, and were shot point blank and fell into their grave.

I say someone needs to kidnap this guy and give him the exact same treatment he gave the Jews as an officer in the Nazi army. Starve him, beat him, conduct 'experiments' on him, force him to work until he collapses and when he's all spent up, have him dig his own grave, then strip him down naked then shoot him point blank.

Back