National ID cards

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
We aren't the only country that may get national ID cards. UK and some other countries are looking into that, too.

Wednesday March 29, 07:38 PM

LONDON (Reuters) - The government is set to introduce national identity cards to combat fraud and terrorism from 2008 after the House of Lords agreed a compromise deal with the Labour party on Wednesday.

The planned biometric cards, which will carry fingerprint, iris and face recognition technology, are the world's most ambitious, say experts, and could be used as a model for other countries, including
Advertisement

the United States.

Critics say they are unworkable and costly and argue they infringe civil liberties.

The compromise, over the degree of compulsion, will be a relief to Prime Minister Tony Blair, who has been dogged by sleaze allegations and questions over his future in the last few weeks.

His authority has been waning since he said he would not seek a fourth term at the next election, due by mid-2010.

The House of Lords had repeatedly rejected the government's ID card plans but has now accepted a compromise under which people applying for a new passport will have an opt-out until 2010 although their details will be put on an ID card database.

"I am delighted that we have been able to give our backing to (this) amendment," said junior interior minister Andy Burnham.

He said it ensured that everyone who applied for a passport would have their biometric information placed on the register while it also alleviated the concerns of those who had argued the cards should not yet be compulsory.

Labour has long had plans to introduce ID cards, which it says will help tackle identity theft, abuse of the state benefits system, illegal immigration, organised crime and terrorism, although the measure has hit fierce opposition.

In its policy blueprint for last year's election Labour said it was committed to introducing identity cards, initially on a voluntary basis. Since then it sought to link the scheme to passport applications.

It will be the first time Britons have carried ID cards since they were abolished after World War Two.

ID cards are used in about a dozen European Union countries but are not always compulsory and do not carry as much data.

The House of Commons, is expected to formally approve the House of Lords decision later on Wednesday.

I don't trust National ID card, because of privacy violation. What happened to Americans' Bill of Rights ?

CyberRed>> How is it a violation of privacy? It is just like your state's driver license?????? Your birthdate and all those information are on that card. What's the difference between that and the national card??

:ugh:

Or did I miss something?

gnarlydorkette said:
CyberRed>> How is it a violation of privacy? It is just like your state's driver license?????? Your birthdate and all those information are on that card. What's the difference between that and the national card??

:ugh:

Or did I miss something?

GnarlyDorkette :

I would like to explain why I don't trust National ID card. That National ID card will turn into a " de facto " National ID card. And, it won't stop terrorists, but will infringe on Americans' traditional liberties. The National ID card will allow the Government to monitor your movements & track your medical and financial transactions. Chaos have also had the effect of insurin' the free movements, rights, and free choice of individuals against errors in the system. Abstract fears that have been cited include :

- that people will be de-humanized by being reduced to codes;
- that the system will enhance the power over individuals of particular organizations and the State;
- that high-integrity identification embodies an inversion of the appropriate relationship between the citizen and the State;
- that the system is a hostile symbol of authority;
- that society is becoming driven by technology-assisted bureaucracy, rather than by elected government;
- that exemptions and exceptions will exist for powerful individuals and organizations, and that the system will entrench fraud and criminality; and
- that such identification schemes are the mechanism foretold in religious prophecy (e.g. 'the Mark of the Beast').
All this information is mandated by the federal gestapo.

All those information also go to the National New Hires Program for
databasin', then to the Federal Parent Locator Service,
then to the IRS, Dept. of Commerce, Dept. of Labor, Dept. of Human
Services, Social Security Administration, etc., etc. Then your bank,
cable TV company, public utility company, etc. have to report back
to the National New Hires Program. This is Federal Government requires
that employers report information on all newly hired employees.

Imagine Hitler with a database ? Hmm ?

And, lastly - please, don't call me a " paranoid " or what ever. I am peelin' my eyes open and watch, because I keep the bible in mind when it don't tell lie to tell like it is when the truth unfolds. Ok ? This is all for me to watch out for. :)

Every person sees/believes different.

ID card sounds like a great idea :thumb:, can't wait to hear the decision being approved :fingersx: Please do keep us update Seq ....

CyberRed said:
please, don't call me a " paranoid " or what ever.

Sorry CyberRed, but I don't recollect calling you paranoid-- if you are jumping the gun to assume that I will call you a paranoid person-- then you are wrong. Never assume anything about anybody, especiallyme. Don't say that I will call you stuff; and I won't call you paranoid. Deal? :)

You have presented a interesting argument but has the government already tracked our movements? After all, they do keep track of our LIBRARY card's usages by sending red flags if we borrow books about terrorism or home-made bombs... Hmm... maybe we shouldn't carry any cards at all ! Forget credit cards, Forget driver's license, forget it! Let's live under an anarchy!

:) I am sorry but I honestly don't see any difference between what our government is doing to us-- by checking our credit, our library usage, our rap sheet if we got one, the countries we go with our passports-- to the future scenario of having a national card.

You may interpret the national card to be patriotic-- that you are finally carrying an *American* card! To justify the fact that all states in this country are indeed UNITED to stand TOGETHER....

CyberRed said:
I don't trust National ID card, because of privacy violation. What happened to Americans' Bill of Rights ?

Hey W!! Got a question here, your majesty!! Can you answer before we start getting petitions to impeach you?

NOT to "keen" on the idea.
I mean, it's not national because its voluntarily.
But seriousily no one/no thing is ever going to SOLVE the problem
Every system/human has its flaws.

I think the world needs to accept that fact.

gnarlydorkette said:
Sorry CyberRed, but I don't recollect calling you paranoid-- if you are jumping the gun to assume that I will call you a paranoid person-- then you are wrong. Never assume anything about anybody, especiallyme. Don't say that I will call you stuff; and I won't call you paranoid. Deal? :)

You have presented a interesting argument but has the government already tracked our movements? After all, they do keep track of our LIBRARY card's usages by sending red flags if we borrow books about terrorism or home-made bombs... Hmm... maybe we shouldn't carry any cards at all ! Forget credit cards, Forget driver's license, forget it! Let's live under an anarchy!

:) I am sorry but I honestly don't see any difference between what our government is doing to us-- by checking our credit, our library usage, our rap sheet if we got one, the countries we go with our passports-- to the future scenario of having a national card.

You may interpret the national card to be patriotic-- that you are finally carrying an *American* card! To justify the fact that all states in this country are indeed UNITED to stand TOGETHER....

Hi Gnarly -

I am sorry - it wasn't you that call me a paranoid. It was someone else from this AD that kept callin' me that. It is why I said not to call me, it doesn't mean that I am screamin' to cry out as bein' paranoid when this scenario could happen. I am seein' this world has changed alot. And, of course I knew that we all will face a big change. Some people will fight for their rights, some don't by acceptin' it ( to surrender their freedom to them ).

* American * card ? lol I don't think we are callin' this country an America country to call this card an American. I am callin' this country an " AmeriKa - it could change this America into a " Communist " country. It doesn't matter how you or people view it. It's just the way I see it by how things have changed so much - this will weak Constitution or maybe, someone will say - " Oh, that Constitution is too old ( old-fashioned ). It needs to change. " Eh ?! Change under who ? Modern-Illuminati men ? You see those people who signed their names on Constitution ? Ok, who will sign on a " New World Order " Constitution ? Or shall I say " United Nations " Constitution ? Hmm ?

I don't support United Nations - sorry to say, sweetie...
Some people don't care about givin' away their freedom for somethin' that they need to protect them. It's full of crap. I just don't buy it. One day, you will be surprised that the cops will be usin' so called an " X-ray" or somethin' to scan people's homes to see what people are doin' inside the houses. Is it a violation of privacy ? To me, yes it is. Things will change and there will be no privacy everywhere. I know sometimes, I think something else, because they are too deep - sometimes, I don't explain it in order to understand a whole picture, because they are too BIG to understand the whole conception.

jazzy said:
Will it helps us to prevent identiy theft?

I don't think so UNLESS if, you ask for a microchip device thing under your skin, then, you are free from worry.

It will not free a soul from worry when one dies.

pek1 said:
Hey W!! Got a question here, your majesty!! Can you answer before we start getting petitions to impeach you?

:lol: Impeach me ? I was just askin' " What happened to Americans' Bill of Rights ? "
Who took God's land away from us when there's no ONE nation under God ? :-\

Sorry, I am with cyberRed. It is true and I am not blind to this world to what is happening. Maybe I should stop using credit card, library card, so forth. They are keeping track what you do everyday. I remember someone told me this in the past ( i would say 10 or so years back) and I wouldnt be surprised.

LMM has nothen to hide from nobody. If some sorry soul steals her identiy,
Boy do I feel sorry for them! LOL
I have see what happens to people that make LMM piss. Not pretty sight!
One time not long ago, on a other board, someone try claim they deady ill. Ask for prayer's. LMM took time out to wish person get better and in her thoughts. LMM was very concern of the person. LMM then read more of the person's reply. She did resreach in her own way, That computers, books etc. can't teach you. She ask her sister to call this person. {Which poster never give their name, or in their pofile} We found out this person was a kid, remind you perfect health kid! The kid try say she never said anything, LMM e-mail screen shots of the message board. Then the parnets believe LMM told her they were sorry! Sorry after they didn't believe her! This kid parnets still let her get online without they watching her! She even a member on this site! How LMM knows?Again, LMM have her own way! LMM can find out about people without paying some website to find out about them, No not even the free people search's. There is only 2 people LMM have taught this too. Because its compact in her brain..LOL
Just remember, Someone out there can find out who you are, what your credit stands.Sometimes even your SSN. Depends who they are! You don't even have to use a computer, For LMM to know about you!
Just let you know be on toes every minute!

LMM

United States is NOT the only one going for National ID, just to remind some of you. United Kingdom is working on that along with some other countries, too.

Yup, I am aware of that this USA country is NOT the only one - other countries, too. I agree. :)

CyberRed said:
:lol: Impeach me ? I was just askin' " What happened to Americans' Bill of Rights ? "
Who took God's land away from us when there's no ONE nation under God ? :-\

CyberRed, What I asked was not aimed at you? Note I asked, "W." Short for George W. Bush, president of the United States, where the Bill of Rights as become a square of toilet paper under his regime. Sorry you misunderstood.

Believe it or not, as liberal as I sound, I'm not in favor of many liberal items, such as abortion and gun control. To me, gun control is not missing one's target. ;) Driving sober ;) and not letting one's daughters get drunk and join the military instead of doing what they're doing now :)

Back