NANOTECHNOLOGY:Viral Workhorses

Codger

Reaction score
2005 Make sciam.com your homepage > Free Trial Issue & Gift >>

NANOTECHNOLOGY
September 02, 2002
Viral Workhorses
Emptied of their infectious nucleic acids, viruses make surprisingly adaptable tools for nanoengineers
By Anne M. Rosenthal

HANDY TOOL for nanoengineering: the Cowpea chlorotic mottle virus (CCMV) displays a soccer-ball pattern of the five-sided (turquoise) and six-sided (red and green) viral capsomeres in this computer image determined by x-ray crystallography. The capsomeres are composed of protein subunits with identical amino acid chains. In CCMV, there are three slightly different chain configurations or shapes of the proteins, represented by the three colors.

A virus, essentially nucleic acid clothed in a protein coat, or capsid, is well designed for its lifestyle as a cellular parasite. Targeting, packaging and delivery have all been optimized over billions of years of evolution. To search out target cells, the viral coat incorporates recognition and docking sites for specific cell types. To stabilize its negatively charged genetic package, a virus may carry a remarkably high positive charge on the capsid interior.

And once it arrives at its destination, a virus delivers its genes into the interior of the targeted cell, where it usurps cellular machinery for viral purposes. Now researchers are taking advantage of these viral systems to develop clever nanotechnology applications in medical imaging and drug delivery, as well as new approaches to building electronic devices (see sidebar: "Viral Nanoassemblers for Electronics").

Mark Young and Trevor Douglas, both at Montana State University, Bozeman, in conjunction with Jack Johnson’s group at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, Calif., spent a number of years sleuthing the structure and assembly of viruses. They focused on the well-studied Cowpea chlorotic mottle virus (CCMV). The viral coat of CCMV, like that of many viruses, is composed of identical protein subunits that self-assemble into a quasispherical shape known as an icosahedron.

This geometry forms the largest volume of a given size that can be constituted from identical subunits, notes Young. The subunits are organized into five-sided and six-sided capsomeres, which are arranged to form a pattern similar to that on a soccer ball. CCMV has gated pores that open and close according to the chemistry of its surrounding environment.

This is what I was recently discussing as a possible key to cancer treatment and cure. And someone recently said U.S. Scientists were idiots? All the good ones are in Europe and Asia? BTW, the Scientific American article is from 2002. Old news.

Codger said:
This is what I was recently discussing as a possible key to cancer treatment and cure. And someone recently said U.S. Scientists were idiots? All the good ones are in Europe and Asia? BTW, the Scientific American article is from 2002. Old news.
To clarify this 'misinformation'. I didn't say that. I was saying that large percent of top scientists are foreigners in USA (German, French, Swedish, etc) because of donations. Example: Who invented/created the Atomic Bomb? Foreigner.

But Bush's presidential position changed everything. More and more of foreigners (top scientists) moved back to their native countries or stay and get the donation from their countries instead of USA. There is a excellent article at http://www.skeptic.com/ which cover about that one (I will post that one soon, it is a-must article to read)

btw, to my understand that Mark Young is a foreigner. I saw his work/name before in one of nanotechnology books I read sometimes ago.. I definitely need to find that information in one of the books to verify whether if I am right or wrong.

Magatsu said:
To clarify this 'misinformation'. I didn't say that. I was saying that large percent of top scientists are foreigners in USA (German, French, Swedish, etc) because of donations. Example: Who invented/created the Atomic Bomb? Foreigner.

Scientists Who Invented the Atomic Bomb under the Manhattan Project:

Robert Oppenheimer? J. Robert Oppenheimer was born in New York City on April 22, 1904.

David Bohm? David Joseph Bohm (December 20, 1917 - October 27, 1992) was an American quantum physicist born at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

Leo Szilard? Leo Szilard (1898-1964), a native of Budapest and naturalized US citizen.

Eugene Wigner? Eugene Paul Wigner, born in Budapest, Hungary, on November 17, 1902, naturalized a citizen of the United States on January 8, 1937.

Otto Frisch? Otto Frisch was born on October 1, 1904 in Vienna, Austria. He received his doctorate degree in 1926 from the University of Vienna. He worked first at the universities of Berlin and Hamburg but was dismissed under German racial laws in 1933. He settled in Birmingham, England in 1939. In 1943, along with many other scientists that had been exiled from Germany, Otto Frisch was naturalized as a British citizen, and was permitted to work for the Manhattan Project as part of 'The British Mission'.

Rudolf Peierls? Rudolf Ernst Peierls (1907 - 1995) was a German-Born British physicist. The son of a Jewish businessman, he moved to Birmingham, England when Adolf Hitler came to power in Germany. In 1939, he started working on atomic research with Otto Frisch and James Chadwick. Peierls joined the Manhattan project in 1943.

Felix Bloch? Felix Bloch was born in Zurich, Switzerland, on October 23, 1905.
Upon Hitler's ascent to power, Bloch left Germany in the spring of 1933, and a year later he accepted a position which was offered to him at Stanford University.

Niels Bohr? Niels Henrik David Bohr was born in Copenhagen on October 7, 1885. During the Nazi occupation of Denmark in World War II, Bohr escaped to Sweden and spent the last two years of the war in England and America.

Emilio Segre? Emilio Segrè was born in Tivoli, Rome, on February 1st, 1905.
In 1938 Professor Segrè came to Berkeley, California, first as a research associate in the Radiation Laboratory and later as a lecturer in the Physics Department.

James Franck? James Franck was born on August 26, 1882, in Hamburg, Germany. After the Nazi regime assumed power in Germany, Franck and his family moved to Baltimore, Maryland.

Enrico Fermi? Enrico Fermi was born in Rome on 29th September, 1901. In 1938, Fermi was without doubt the greatest expert on neutrons, and he continued his work on this topic on his arrival in the United States. In 1944, Fermi became American citizen

Klaus Fuchs? Emil Julius Klaus Fuchs was born in Germany in 1911. He was interested in politics and became a member of the German Communist Party. As the Nazi's power grew in Germany, the Gestapo began rounding up Communists, forcing Fuchs to leave his country or be imprisoned. Fleeing through France, Klaus Fuchs made his way to England, where he resettled. By 1940, the war in Europe had escalated and Britain began to fear for its national security. All Germans in England were taken into custody and placed into internment camps, where they were to be held until the end of the war. In 1943, Fuchs was transferred to the Columbia University in New York City where he began to work on the Manhattan Project. He was later convicted of spying and sentenced to prison in England.

Edward Teller? Edward Teller (original Hungarian name Teller Ede) (January 15, 1908–September 9, 2003) was an Hungarian-born American nuclear physicist of Jewish descent. He was known colloquially as "the father of the hydrogen bomb." In 1935, Teller was invited to the United States to become a Professor of Physics at the George Washington University, where he worked until 1941.

Albert Einstein? The physicist Albert Einstein did not directly participate in the invention of the atomic bomb. But he was instrumental in facilitating its development. Albert Einstein was born at Ulm, in Württemberg, Germany, on March 14, 1879. In 1901, the year he gained his diploma, he acquired Swiss citizenship. He became a German citizen in 1914 and remained in Berlin until 1933 when he renounced his citizenship for political reasons and emigrated to America to take the position of Professor of Theoretical Physics at Princeton. He became a United States citizen in 1940

Codger, I hope you realized that most of them are foreigners... I sincerely hope.

Unless your ancestors on both sides are Native American, you are a foriegner too. Yes, some of them were Europeons who fled to America to escape the Nazis and then became citizens. Does that make them foriegners? Or does that make them Americans. My grandmother on my father's side came here from Ireland and became a citizen before the depression.. Was she a foriegner? My father? Me? I was born in California, but I never lived there after I was one. I went to live in Arkansas. Then later I lived in Florida. Now I live in Tennessee. So am I a Californian, Arkansan, Floridian, or Tennesseean?
Yes, some great minds have come here for the freedom we offer. And they have invented, studied, built, and are Americans.

Well, I can debate about that but your latest post in my topic leave me uncertain.. the last thing I want to 'offend' you with my opposing viewpoints.

Peace out.

Edit: Oh yes, you do have a good point but it didn't leave me no space to debate with you :)

I just realized something. With nanotechnology, you could increase the grown of breasts and asses! :naughty:

Magatsu said:
rofl. or penis :D
Yep! Heh!

What is in the asses and breasts? Some women develop them less. Some others develop them more. If we could find a way to "feed" these things so that they grow more, we'd really have fun. This would be a big plus for those in the "BE" fetish. ;)

VamPyroX said:
Yep! Heh!

What is in the asses and breasts? Some women develop them less. Some others develop them more. If we could find a way to "feed" these things so that they grow more, we'd really have fun. This would be a big plus for those in the "BE" fetish. ;)
Oprah butts? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Back