Name Signs

sierraiman

Reaction score
**I'm pretty sure I posted this in the right place but if not feel free to move it. Sorry!**

I was given a sign name years ago but the group of friends that gave it to me all moved away for college (pause for sadness :() and I was wondering if I would keep this name sign and use it when introducing myself if/when I meet new Deaf people or if I would let them give me a name sign? Also, if I were to move to a different state would I keep my old name sign or be given a new one?

I hope this makes sense and thank you for any help!

Varies so much based on area. But generally I have never changed sign names that someone has. So I'd say use your current one and if you get a new name sign you can adjust to the situation/circumstance or change your existing name sign,

We have two (married) teachers whose sign names are based on their maiden names.

i have one that sticks.i wear heavy dark spesks and that how i sign name

Varies so much based on area. But generally I have never changed sign names that someone has. So I'd say use your current one and if you get a new name sign you can adjust to the situation/circumstance or change your existing name sign,

Thanks so much!

i have one that sticks.i wear heavy dark spesks and that how i sign name

That does sound like a name sign that would stick around. My old one isn't very unique like that and I have some more physically distinguishing characteristics so we'll see if I get a new one based on that I guess.

We were taught that your sign name can change as your life circumstances change.

One cultural aspect I was taught was about moving to a new town. If there was already a deaf member of the new community who was well known, and had the same sign name as the newbie, the newbie was expected to change his name.

We were taught that your sign name can change as your life circumstances change.

One cultural aspect I was taught was about moving to a new town. If there was already a deaf member of the new community who was well known, and had the same sign name as the newbie, the newbie was expected to change his name.

i think that would be case here

One of our teachers (who is also an experienced terp and with a namesign of her own) warned against being too eager to get a namesign of your own too quickly in case in your area it sticks. What might seem like a cool and funny namesign now when you're a wacky student/young person might not be professional or appropriate later in life.

This might be a difference between where Reba lives vs my teachers.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Reba said:

That's how it is throughout Canada as well ... If you move you are the one that would be expected to change/modify name signs.

The exception might be someone famous with a well known/used name sign - they'd keep their name sign regardless of location.

That follows what I learned too.

My first ASL teacher, who was a CODA and RID terp had one name sign when I was taking her class. Five years later I was telling someone who my ASL teachers were and used her name sign. The person had no idea who I was talking about until I fingerspelled her name.

"OH! That's not her name anymore. She got married and has a baby now her name sign is...."

I never knew about it until I moved to a new school. My sign name is "J" on the middle of the chest and all the students called me "JB". I asked why and they told me they already have another student with "J" on the chest. Since I was new and she wasn't, I had to deal with a new name sign.

My Deaf friend will be volunteering at my work soon. Should I allow him to make name signs for our coworkers? Or could I make some myself? I read awhile back that it's a thing that only Deaf/HOH can make name signs.

My Deaf friend will be volunteering at my work soon. Should I allow him to make name signs for our coworkers? Or could I make some myself? I read awhile back that it's a thing that only Deaf/HOH can make name signs.

Not everyone actually NEEDS a name sign. There are plenty of Deaf people who's name is fingerspelled their entire lives!

IF for some reason your Deaf friend feels the need to create a name sign for some of the co-workers, then it's up to him to do that.

Thanks! I know that not everyone needs a name sign. I just think it's a unique aspect of Deaf culture. I felt quite honored when my friend gave me my name sign, I just didn't know if it would be viewed as rude if I made up a name sign myself.

Thanks! I know that not everyone needs a name sign. I just think it's a unique aspect of Deaf culture. I felt quite honored when my friend gave me my name sign, I just didn't know if it would be viewed as rude if I made up a name sign myself.

I wouldn't make up signs yourself - if your Deaf friend feels some people need a name sign, he'll assign them a correct one. Otherwise, just spell their first name, or their initials :)

Back