Name of city/state in sign

Originally posted by kuifje75
Some states I don't know signs for, I tend to fingerspell the abbreviations. Like RI for Rhode Island, MD for Maryland, etc...
for RI, it is fingerspelled R-I, so you got it right ;)

Originally posted by GoldenLeaf74
Newfoundland = sign of seal with 2 hand on hip almost same as Russia.

Seal is famous around in Newfoundland. :D

I like that sign, so neat! :mrgreen:

Originally posted by Oddball
Do you want to know about OHIO in dirty sign language?
Use "O" in SUNRISE sign, "H" in hurry sign, "I" in intercourse sign, "O" in SUNSET sign.
:twisted:

yes, I hear that one long time ago in late 80s. Of course, my big bro went there and learn something then told me about it.

Originally posted by allisonjoy
for RI, it is fingerspelled R-I, so you got it right ;)

It got to have real sign language than rather have bore damn fingerspelling! :madfawk:

As Ally says, RI is simple enough. My town I recently moved from was easy Middletown. The next town, Newport is just NP. One rich town named Barrington is the sign for snob, but with a B. Most of the 39 towns in RI have a sign I believe.

Originally posted by illustrator
It got to have real sign language than rather have bore damn fingerspelling! :madfawk:
:fu: what can I do?! Sue me?!

And, matt, yep - most of other cities/towns in RI has a sign for it.

Originally posted by illustrator
man, that's suck... I hate to keep spell all thru for state or city. :|

:fu: Gotta show some respect toward Oklahoma.

Here my hometown "Chickasha" in Oklahoma and its sign name is:

fc5bafad.gif

Originally posted by allisonjoy
:fu: what can I do?! Sue me?!

And, matt, yep - most of other cities/towns in RI has a sign for it.

what about sign in... "rock-island" I think it's neat sign language. :D

HAWAII - make a circle around your face with H, like beautiful. The deaf natives there prefer that sign to the "hula" sign. We think that hula sign is quite ridiculous. LOL Java did you know that sign?

Kailua, Hawaii - Make 7 motion with K. Like Philly.
Kaneohe, Hawaii - Make 7 motion, but change from K to N.

MARYLAND - I've always used M-D, too.
Hagerstown, MD - like hard of hearing. HH.
Frederick, MD - Shake F in midair in front of your chest.
Columbia, MD - Shake C in the same manner as Frederick.
Wash DC - I've always used D-C.
Baltimore - sign like HH, but it's "B."

VIRGINIA - V-A

NORWAY - "N" making this strong motion: /\ once. I learned this sign from the Norwegian deafies I met.

Trondheim, Norway - kinda like "period" sign for Moscow.

Austria - Sign is like "bones" with two fingers being clawed (like sign for problem, but the fingers are a bit spread apart). I think you just tap the fists together a few times.

LOL on the London thing.. yeah I learned that, also.

British/England - according to a couple of british deaf artists that came last year at Deaf Way 2, the sign was like "lesbian" on the chin, but the L is not so rigid.. just embraces the chin. You know what I am talking about Waz?

ITALY - shake hand while you make a C shape but show only the index finger and the thumb and the rest closed in a fist... it's to show the pennisula of Italy.

RUSSIA - kinda like the "dry" sign... but it's on the chin, not under the chin, and your index finger is used.. the rest in a fist. Act as if you are wiping something off your chin, like at one swipe and then shake it once... darn hard to describe this sign haha anybody help out?? Oh hey, I learned this sign from a roommate who was from Russia.

SCOTLAND - "4" making a pattern on your shoulder.

IRELAND - like potato sign, but you make a small circular motion and land those two finger tips on the other fist's top.

I dont know the current sign for Philippines... but I remember as a child in Hawaii, we had two signs to describe that... "Fox" then two hands both making a smooth arch on your shoulders at once. Or they just say "Fox." Later, a couple who visited Philippines, said the sign was just "P" on a fist. Tap it a few times.

Cleveland, Ohio - "C" touching your right shoulder then left

Akron, Ohio - the "X" hand shape brushing the side of your chin

Madison, Ohio (my pitiful hometown) - Like government, but with an "M"

Columbus, Ohio - "C" shaken in front of your shoulder

Cincinatti, Ohio - "C" brushed under the chin

Mentor, Ohio - same sign as "bird"

Some international signs I know:

Paris, France - both hands with the 2 handshape face eachother and move in and up in the shape of the Eiffel Tower

China - left hand makes a "G" and right index finder taps it so it almost makes an "A" shape

Japan - make the sign for vagina and then touch your fingers to your thumbs like you're trying to pinch something

Australia - 8 handshape with palms facing down and flick middle fingers, like a kangaroo hopping (I love that sign)

Egypt - make a pyramid with the B handshape

Originally posted by Sydlie
Cleveland, Ohio - "C" touching your right shoulder then left

Akron, Ohio - the "X" hand shape brushing the side of your chin

Madison, Ohio (my pitiful hometown) - Like government, but with an "M"

Columbus, Ohio - "C" shaken in front of your shoulder

Cincinatti, Ohio - "C" brushed under the chin

Mentor, Ohio - same sign as "bird"

Some international signs I know:

Paris, France - both hands with the 2 handshape face eachother and move in and up in the shape of the Eiffel Tower

China - left hand makes a "G" and right index finder taps it so it almost makes an "A" shape

Japan - make the sign for vagina and then touch your fingers to your thumbs like you're trying to pinch something

Australia - 8 handshape with palms facing down and flick middle fingers, like a kangaroo hopping (I love that sign)

Egypt - make a pyramid with the B handshape

Madison--I thought use of "crabby" sign near the face. I know Clevelanders use that sign for Madison. By the way, I am Cleveland native.

Mayfield- Use "M" sign and rub upward your nose (like snob sign).

Parma- use "P" sign and touch each breasts.

Gates Mills- Fingerspelling GM

Middleburg Hts.- Fingerspelling MH (because fingerspellling whole letters is too much)

Yeah, I've seen the crabby sign used for Madison, too, and I've seen the sign for "angry" then "son". Generally I fingerspell it because there are so many signs no one ever knows what I mean if I use one. The "M" like government is just the one I like the best.

So, while I've got you here, Oddball, are you going to Parma BW3's this weekend?

IRELAND = can also be signed as "harp," kind of hard to explain...

WALES = "W" face forward, move down

SCOTLAND = Like a bagpipe, move your right arm up and down as if you were controlling a bagpipe air movement

ENGLAND = Liza got that one, looks like Lesbian, but not really.

FRANCE = "F" face foward, move to right

GERMANY = "D" on top of head

DENMARK = "3" (sideways, facing to body) shaking to right

POLAND = "S" touching each breast

CZECH REPUBLIC = sign as if you were signing "GRASS" in ASL

LUXEMBROUG = both hands "L" then changing to "x" as it joins together as in "problem"

SWITZERLAND = "C" making a cross on the body

AUSTRIA = Same as Liza

YUGOSLAVIA = "Y" as to sign "king"

SLOVENIA = Like "Always" but with "V" near head.

SLOVAK REPUBLIC = Like "Gallaudet" but with "3" not "G"

BULGARIA = sign as if someone has a long mustasche

GREECE = make a cross with both index fingers, or "G" on nose

SPAIN = hard to explain this sign... both hands "A" facing to body near left shoulder, then twist the As as to face forward, or second sign, "X" for both hands on shoulder, joining together in front of body

ITALY = Like "G" but a wide G, shaking from up to down.

UKRAINE = like signing a mustache then sharp movement to down

MONACO = like "marine" in ASL, flat "C" on bottom of neck

PORTUGAL = "X" moving from top of nose to chin

NORWAY = draw a N with "N" like Liza said

SWEDEN = like "pet" but a bit different

FINLAND = "glass"

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i know wat u mean Liza, there is other sign for England as i will try and make a clip for that..

Lol if u want to know a sign for mine- its sort of funny. Cortland is signed as in "boring" but with an C if u know what I mean? :lol:

*doh* no one did MN =X From a left handed person who has a dominant right hand when signing:

Minneapolis - tap the letter D on the left frontal shoulder with right hand twice (i know the story behind this.. lol)
St Paul - like the ASL version of government (with your index finger as opposed the the "see" version with the letter G) but use S-P with the middle finger touching your temple.

Most suburbs have their own signs, like most states. A lot of the western-mpls suburbs are snobby places so they use the first letter of their names, while signing it like snob: Edina, Bloomington, Eden Prairie (just EP at the nose), Minnetonka.. *thinks* theres more, i know. Hopkins, is signed like jump, with your right hand jumping away from the left with "legs" you know? *stabs self* I'm rambling.. I've lived here too long.. =X

Back