Naida Hearing Aid and Echo on Phone

JCostello

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am writing on behalf of my father who is in his mid-eighties and has profound hearing loss. He has worn hearing aids since his 20s. In the past year, he's been through a difficult time with a pair of Naida hearing aids that were malfunctioning. He finally received a new pair and they seem to be working well for him, but when he speaks on the phone, the person on the other end hears everything they say echoed back to them. So, while my dad is able to communicate better now, communication is significantly impaired for the person he is speaking to on the phone. For instance, if I say, "How did your appointment go?", I hear that question echoed back loudly. If he answers immediately, I am struggling to hear what he is saying over top of my own echoed back voice.

If anyone has had experience with this, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

J

That's down to the phone, nothing to do with the Naidas.

I've got that problem at the moment on my cell and its turned out to be my case making to problem.

I originally hoped it was my phone but both my sisters experience the same thing and we're all calling from land lines. (I have issues with echos on my cell too.)

The problem can be the weather, signal, your walls, all sorts of thing can cause this.

If you can hear it when your dad? phones you up, the problem is his phone and nothing to do with any of your phones.

When I use FaceTime I can hear no echo but my family members can.

The problem can be the weather, signal, your walls, all sorts of thing can cause this.

If you can hear it when your dad? phones you up, the problem is his phone and nothing to do with any of your phones.

When I use FaceTime I can hear no echo but my family members can.

OT But it just occurred to me again. With all the different countries the people on here come from it is a chance to learn different versions of English! I have never known of anyone in the US to use the phrase "Phones you up" for example.

OT But it just occurred to me again. With all the different countries the people on here come from it is a chance to learn different versions of English! I have never known of anyone in the US to use the phrase "Phones you up" for example.

If you hear it when your dad phones you up = if you hear it when your dad rings you up!!

phone you up and ring you up = the same thing.

If you hear it when your dad phones you up = if you hear it when your dad rings you up!!

And I would expect: If you hear it when your dad calls you. Rather than either of your examples.

I just notice how many different ways the same thing can be said but yet everyone (or almost everyone) gets the meaning!

I would probably be more likely to say "call you up" :D

I am wondering if there are better options for my dad for using a phone. Has anyone used the Phonak landline? Also, can anyone recommend a closed caption phone? Would this be available through his hearing aid clinic?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. My dad grew up in the 1930s in a very poor family, lost his mother when he was 9, was sent to live with his aunt during the war. When I was growing up, we never spoke much about my dad's hearing loss. It wasn't an issue of shame, but, as a family, we weren't proactive either. We speak up for my dad and make sure we face him head on so he can lip read. I worry that he almost at the stage where hearing aids just aren't enough. I feel that we should have learned sign as a family a while ago, but he shows little interest. He's 85 and had some significant health issues in the last few years. I think we can do better in terms of technology though. I am encouraging him to use Skype which he is open to, but we need a solution for when he is dealing with people for home services, repairs, etc.

What is he using now? Knowing that would help as a starting point.

I'm seriously looking in to the new Phonak landline as the sound going into both hearing aids will help me greatly.

Never really used a landline phone via voice in my whole life but I think the Phonak landline will work.

Jane, he is using a panasonic portable phone. If you need further details I could get them. The echo seems to worsen when he turns up the amplification on his aids, but I don't think that is the cause (i.e. it is there before he has turned up the applification.) So, this new Phonak phone is out in January? Does anyone know the approximate cost?

I do not know where you are at. Here in the US you can get the CapTel phone very reasonably or free. It is pretty good in that it has a big screen and captions everything that is said while having full audio. Maybe not exactly your solution but it is easy to use. See www.captel.com

Back