N5 Available for Older Users (before 2003?)

sheila022

Reaction score
Hey guys,

It's time to re-visit this forum again. Does anyone know if N5 is available to older users like me who was implanted in 1993 or before 2003?

I'm wearing the dinosaur 3G ESPRIT model...for long time. I really want to upgrade to N5 as I heard it's so much better.

Thanks!

Wirelessly posted

Sign up for cochlear community and they should tell you. I have a feeling they will take any before 2003 because I read somewhere that they won't be accepting Freedom trade in. Usually they take trade for people with older implant model. I could be wrong though because i was reading briefly and don't know where I read it at.

orders can start to go in for the Nucleus 5 upgrade for Nucleus 24 recipients on April 1st :)

Cool, I was kind of worried it would be delayed again. Do you know how long it takes to process the orders?

not sure but the faster you get your order in I'm sure once its officially released people will get their upgrades processed from the time they ordered them

Wirelessly posted

Sign up for cochlear community and they should tell you. I have a feeling they will take any before 2003 because I read somewhere that they won't be accepting Freedom trade in. Usually they take trade for people with older implant model. I could be wrong though because i was reading briefly and don't know where I read it at.

Any info about the trade in? I have 3G ESPIRIT. Would be great if I can trade in that for N5.

Wirelessly posted

I had 3G once. Anyway heres some information about trade in but that COULD change once N5 come in, especially when if it will be available for all model. https://www.cochlearupgrade.com/faq.asp

Wirelessly posted

Ah, Cochlear N24 internal...if you dont have that, you may not be able to have N5 ... I have N24

I am guess you have N22

Last edited:
I think Nucleus 22 is for those who were implanted before 2005, like me, right?

Wirelessly posted

Yes, but it is advertised N5 FOR N24. I have N24 and was implanted in 2003

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

But you can upgrade to Freedom and you should so you get warranty and you will be able to trade in for N5 before it becomes obselete (sp?) I am afraid by the time N5 come out for N22, they won't accept 3G trade in, but you can always save your money and wait.

Last edited:
fuck, that's going to cost more money. I'll just see if I can get my insurance to cover the N5 when it's time for it.

Not cool we have to wait so long just to get the N5. NOT COOL!!!! WEAK SAUCE!!!!

am thankful that is something I don't even worry about.
And you're super lucky. Hardly anyone with hearing aids/CIs can function without really good health insurance. Even Medicaid doesn't always cover HA or CIs.

Back