myth about vrs going away

Exaggerating yes, VRS isn't going nowhere and that's a fact, says Purple, Convo, ZVRS and other VRS providers. SVRS remain the only one who said VRS is going away.

Did you ask them... Purple, Convo, ZVRS... in a worse case scenario, will they be ready to take all customers from sorenson and prepare to go to tier 3 for most of the minutes? Are they prepare to handle 2 minute answer rule? are they prepare to accept all calls? They will scream that they can't run under that proposed rate of 3.89. ;) thats the downfall. its not a myth... its a extremely high probablity cause and effect of FCC restricting our funtional equvalency throught telecommuncations. They are just sugar coating all of this to get customers.

tsk tsk... look ahead not look right now.

Did you ask them... Purple, Convo, ZVRS... in a worse case scenario, will they be ready to take all customers from sorenson and prepare to go to tier 3 for most of the minutes? Are they prepare to handle 2 minute answer rule? are they prepare to accept all calls? They will scream that they can't run under that proposed rate of 3.89. ;) thats the downfall. its not a myth... its a extremely high probablity cause and effect of FCC restricting our funtional equvalency throught telecommuncations. They are just sugar coating all of this to get customers.

tsk tsk... look ahead not look right now.

Would VP-200s even be working, assuming the worst case came to light?

Question. Is the situation actually that the FCC has made new rules with guidelines that you listed above? In other words, does it mean for ANY relay service to stay in business they have to:
- accept all calls
- answer in 2 minutes or less
- not charge more than $3.89 per call.

Is that correct?

Question. Is the situation actually that the FCC has made new rules with guidelines that you listed above? In other words, does it mean for ANY relay service to stay in business they have to:
- accept all calls
- answer in 2 minutes or less
- not charge more than $3.89 per call.

Is that correct?

First of all iHuman, its not new rules with guidelines. I'm referring to the new rate proposal where the domino effect will impact.

if you review the speed-of-Answer and 24/7 requirements for VRS at Video Relay Services

...Now VRS providers must answer 80 percent of all VRS calls within 120 seconds...

In worse case scenario, if all sorenson customers is no longer able to use sorenson's services. will the other exisiting provider able to maintain that speed-of-answer?

Again, the same website I had made reference to on answering all calls, FCC have made clearly that Preferential Treatments of Calls is prohibited. Again, the provider have the opportunity to decline additional calls because of they have to keep under the tier minutes... hence they can reject the calls so they don't go to Tier 3 where they can't make the ends meet.

Its not $3.89 each call they make... its $3.89 per minute on the calls they interpret between two parties. If you have read some of the comments by the various VRS industries that have been submitted to the FCC and they already clearly stated that they can't function under the new rate of Tier 1 and Tier 2... now with big difference in Tier 3, its highly doubtful that they can continue taking in more calls.

hope this clears up :)

Sorenson's message to the public was, in my professional opinion, interpreted incorrectly. Ron Burdett says that VRS will go away (ASL sign MELT), but the captioning says, "VRS as we know it will go away". Now I'm confused because both these utterances don't necessarily mean the same thing. What Ron said means, literally, VRS will cease to exist. But what the captioning says is that VRS will only cease to be what we know of it today. It doesn't make sense that Sorenson would be so bold to say that VRS will "go away". What I think they mean, and believe so myself, is that these new FCC rates will impact the VRS industry in a very big way. Do we want to see innovation, improvement, and better service/technology? Do we want to see this service, not only the service Sorenson provides, but other VRS companies too, evolve into something better? I believe that with the rates they're proposing, we'll see things get worse, not better.

Back