Mystery of the Dodge Shadow....

GenghisJohn

Reaction score
Firstly, forgive my complete ignorance when it comes to cars...I know NOTHING about cars other than they usually have 4 wheels and most use fuel...

Here's what's happened:

Last week my wife and I were traveling to town for something or another and we noticed that we needed air in the tires. We hit a few different places to look for air and on the last stop we were turning around in the parking lot and the car died.

It has been dying earlier that day, especially when idling so we would have to hold the break and accelerator to remedy that and it was fine...

My brother changed the ignition switch, starter relay, ignition relay, tested the starter (which is good) and changed the battery. Nothing. It won't even attempt to start as if the battery is dead. The lights come on, headlights and dome light, the emergency flashers work, the door dings when open but the battery indicator on the dash says the battery is dead.

Before we changed the ignition switch, if I put the key in and jiggled it, the dash controls would work, the battery indicator would say the battery was charged but now nothing.

It's a 1990 Dodge Shadow and I believe we're officially stuck. I was thinking something along the lines of the ASD switch but...I'm a complete idiot.

1) Go to your local Walmart and get a Slime tire pump....$15, it connects to your battery, and use it to inflate your tires.

2) Dude, that car is 23 years old....time to throw it in the recycle bin and get something else. Your car is worth maybe $500, and after you put $1000 of repairs into it, it is still worth $500....unless it is in mint condition and you live in the South somewhere.

Up here in the northeast, anything older than 20 years old is usually not on the road anymore....(the exception would be Derek, though)

Unfortunately it's my primary mode of transportation. When I get a chance I'll be sure to get a car that you approve of :).

Anyone have any actual advice on this issue?

1) Go to your local Walmart and get a Slime tire pump....$15, it connects to your battery, and use it to inflate your tires.

2) Dude, that car is 23 years old....time to throw it in the recycle bin and get something else. Your car is worth maybe $500, and after you put $1000 of repairs into it, it is still worth $500....unless it is in mint condition and you live in the South somewhere.

Up here in the northeast, anything older than 20 years old is usually not on the road anymore....(the exception would be Derek, though)

Why me??? Even I would not want to attempt to turbocharge this one!!! I agree with Green427. Get rid of it!!!

Because you love old cars like 1977-1979 Impala or Caprice wagon and old rust Jeep so they don't have turbocharge as stock.

http://www.alldeaf.com/auto-talk/111029-your-favorite-4-x-4-vehicles-1970s.html

Now, you would not want Impala/Caprice/old Jeep because they don't have turbocharge?

Some Dodge shadow models have turbocharge.
:roll:

Those Impala/Caprice wagons and old Jeeps are so special that I won't mind if they weren't turbocharged. Others are pretty boring to me. They need to be spiced up!!

Check alternator voltage output per The Highlander. If ok then check electrical drain like interior lights stay on maybe glove box light... If no electrical drains found then check bulk engine computer harness connector for corroded terminals, locates on the top of tranny/engine. I believe your car have a 2.5 L 4 in-line cylinder with TBI...I've not seen it around for long time. Maybe I have free time to look up the repair information for u.

Re: "mystery dodge shadow"

The mystery is how you kept it running this long. :giggle:

Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of Chrysler?

Alternator may be bad, so as battery drains it's not getting recharged and the car isn't putting out enough juice to keep it going. You'd be able to start the car with a jump, but it wouldn't last.

Back