My video question from magician to magician (About hearing again with CI) - Subtitled

RonJaxon

Reaction score
I figured I'd share this with you all. Maybe some of you will find it interesting. First let me explain what this is.

As some of you know. I'm a magician. I started in magic at about the same time of my life that my hearing decreased to deafness. Last year I got my CI activate.

This is a video question to Jeff McBride who is a world class magician and owns the "Magic and Mystery School" where he teaches magicians (Both beginners and pros). Well he started a virtual version of his magic school where he has live broadcasts each weak and magician send him video questions and he replies to them on the live broadcasts.

So that's what this is. Me, a deaf magician who can hear with the CI now, asking a professional magician and magic teacher for advice on an issue of my magic. But it has to do with my hearing again. So that's why I figured I'd post it here as well. Because in it I talk about my experience "Hearing again" and I know there are some in here who are thinking about getting a CI or just got one.

I hope you enjoy it. I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on what I say.

It is subtitled

Ron Jaxon

Good to see you posting here again sir!

Wow your speech is pretty fantastic considering how long you were deaf. Incredible.

Well done! Love the video!!

that's amazing, U know?
I might've lost my hearing from birth probably, (I'm a mystery)

I am surprised you cannot think of ways to incorporate your wishes into an act. Hmmm. It is not a criticism, mind you, but heck, I can think of ways, using trees that you can cut and restore, birds, boxes hitting the floor (or not), etcetera. I would love to know what the reply is, if you get one! I love magic but am not skilled enough to show it to an audience. Kudos to you, and keep us updated.

Thanks guys.

First I'll address my speech. Thank you for the compliment. Keep in mind that my hearing didn't decrease to deafness till my late teens and early twenties. So I was a pretty good speaker at one time. Over the 20 years I was deaf I obviously developed some slurred speech. But everyone tells me it wasn't that bad. My friends tell me that at first they heard it. But after knowing my for a short time they didn't even hear it anymore. But the last year being able to hear my own speech has definitely helped my speech to improve. Many people have been telling me that lately. I don't notice it. But people who haven't seen me in a while they I talk to them again tell me they can tell a big difference. As an entertainer, that's great to know it's helping with that.

On the matter of finding a way to incorporate this into my act. That wasn't really what I asked about in the video. I do have a few ideas for how to incorporate the "Magic of hearing again" into my act. The question was really more about how to go from performing a show of comedy then ending with something that isn't comedy. Something emotional in this case.

When a good entertainer (Not saying I'm great but I try.. :) ) you have to think about transitioning between one act in a show to another. For example a singer singing a love song, then a rock song, then a country song. They'll need to transition from one to the other somehow. For example after the rock song they might tell a short story about their grand father farm, then a country song fits next and so forth.

In may case, I've spent the entire show being pretty much a stand up comedian that's also doing magic. Suddenly I want to end with an act that's not comedy at all. So, I was just asking what he might recommend for the switch form one style to another. I have ideas for this as well, but I figured more brains are better then mine alone. LOL

Thanks again.

Ron Jaxon

Back