My status...

RisinDragon

Reaction score
I want to apologize for not being around in the last week. I am not sure what the coming weeks are going to be for me.

To give a little history,

About 3.5 years ago, my mother started working at a restaurant I've worked at for a few years. She would work during the afternoon shift then I'll relieve her and worked my shift from 3 to midnight. Since she hadn't worked for many years, she was complaining about her legs. Typical response if you haven't worked on your feet in a long while. I gave her a kiss and she went and drove home. She lived 30 minutes from where I worked.

I worked my shift, closed up the kitchen, had a single drink at the bar then left work to head home to my apartment.

On my way phone I got a phone call from my stepfather. By now it's 1am. I answered my cellphone, and he told me that my mother had a stroke. I stopped at the hospital to see if I could gather more information. The ER nurse would not give me any information because my stepfather told them to only talk to him. I was pissed and the nurse knew I was. I could not blame her, so I left and went home.

The following morning, I went to a friend of my mothers since she was at my mothers house with 2 other firiends. To see if she knew what happened. She told me that my mother must have had a stroke at work. Because she came home all loopy and was walking into the wall when she tied to head for the bathroom. Then I remembered my mother complaining about her legs, but I didn't know any better. My mother's 3 friend were really concerned so they called my stepfather at his job around 5pm. They told him that think she was having a stroke. He told Nini that he'll be home from work at 8pm. My stupid stepfather choose to work instead of leaving his damn job and have my mother wait for 3 hours.

After she told me this, I replied "how come nobody called me?" She said "nobody thought to call you". Then she started to cry. She realized she called the wrong person. Because, I would have left my job in a heartbeat to get my mother to the hospital. To me, my family is more important than anything else in my life.

At this point I lost all respect for my stepfather.

I headed to the hospital and my stepfather was there in the room. I pinned him to the wall and lift him off the ground. I neared choked him to the point of him passing out. I told him either the doctors talk to me or he will be dead before my mother. He knew he was in a very bad position.

I was able to talk to the doctors and gathered my information. Because she had to "wait" 3 hours, she ended up with 5 bloodclots on the left side of her brain. Her entire right side was paralyzed. She was lucky she didn't die.

I moved out of my apartment and moved back to my mothers house to help take care of her.

Fast forward today.

2 months ago my mother had another stroke. She went from responsive to non responsive vegetated state. We didn't think she was going to survive. 3 weeks later something change and she was responsive and talking. But I noticed that she couldn't remember family members or certain key information. Her memory was effected. Over time she was able to remember more. But she was never going to remember everything. We had her at a nursery home for physical therapy and then she was able to come home 2 weeks ago.

We had an appointment early this past week for my mother to have carotid artery surgery. Her right artery was blocked 90%. She went for her appointment and the surgery went well. 6 hours after her surgery was done she had a stroke. This time she had a bloodclot on the right side of her brain. Now she paralyzed on the right side of her body.

Both of her hands are locked up. There is no way she can feed herself. I had to feed her dinner Friday night. While feeding her she told me she doesn't want to live like this and she's scared.

I have no idea how I am going to be able to care for her. I have been scared shitless about what to do since she won't be able to walk with her cane. I think we are going to have put her into some sort of 24/7 care. But I know my mother would rather die than live out her life in a nursery home.

It has been a very stressful this past week for me.

I am very sorry to hear about your mother. My best wishes to both of you.

Last edited:
My condolences...all I can say is hang in there. Can't blame you for being angry with the stepfather.

I'm so sorry to hear all of this.

The 24/7 care sounds like a must-do at this point -- and hopefully that can be temporary? Or has it been determined that there is not much possibility of improvement, ever?

Is there insurance coverage? If so, she may be able to get in-home nursing care.

Hang in there.

It's a very sad story...and I could give you a million hugs for being there for your Mother....Bless you!...Will be thinking of both of you...

i am sorry...i dont know if in the States you have Stoke assocation they chariety,i would thought you did,they be one first places to turn to...in uk we got something called Headway again states should have similar things...
your Luthran church also good they have nursing people,and 'right to life'also help..as for your step-father he sounds total arse and you need to get some legal ground rules or your rights with your mum could be compromized.
best wishes

Wirelessly posted

You are a great son , for stepping up to the plate to take care of your mother. It will be a challenge for sure to care for your mom. Take care of yourself as well. You might need to help her with feeding , bathing and grooming. I am glad to hear she survived.

Sadly most of us go through this with our own parents. It is probably the hardest thing you will ever have to do. Most definitely take care of yourself. Sounds like you need to get some help so I hope you can find some. Your mom knows that you are doing your best.

Hi RisinDragon,

First I don't think you ever have to apologize for not being on the board.

Mainly, I am so sorry that this is happening to your mother. That is so awful that your step father did not put her first and go to her quickly, like you would have. I don't want to say she is lucky after what she's gone through, but I still want to say she is lucky to have you.

This whole experience sounds exhausting and overwhelming. I hope you are ok, and that you can hang in there, take care of yourself while you are helping her.

Good luck Risin. All of us are thinking of you and your mother.
:grouphug:

Sorry value your especially family heart warm in heart. your mom alway love your son. your strength heart, then mom watch you..... Sorry hear your feeling stress pressure.

Mother was placed in another hospital today that has the Therapy Sessions she needs. They are going to try to work with her and see if she can get some function of her left hand. She can move everything up to her elbow. So that was a good sign. a week ago she couldn't move her elbow, now she can.

They are also going to try to see if she can walk at least 15 feet. Pretty much the distance from her recliner to the bathroom/bedroom.

My stepfather really changed his attitude around lately, a little. After all this time, now he's trying to do 'what's right'. I really wanted to say 'it's a little to late'. But I am cutting him some slack. My feelings on the entire thing is not going to change. He still has a piss poor attitude and lately he's been getting a little more aggressive about things going on in the house. His attitude is 'she's your mother, it's your job to take care of her'. I responded with "I didn't take the vow of 'in sickness and health, til death do us part'". That really pisses him off, but I really don't care. My mother and him been together for 35 years, and this is how he is? I really don't get it. I should be in my own home, having a family of my own. But I don't, all because of his ignorant attitude.

At times I just want to throw the towel in and pack my stuff and move out of the state and stay 'F... You All!' and just leave. But I wouldn't do that to my mother. The frustration I have to deal with. *grrr*

Since my mother had her stroke 3.5 years ago, she went and got medicaid/medicare. Along with AARP. There is no way medicaid/medicare will pay for in house nursing care.

Since this latest stroke. Her memory has been effected big time. She can't remember anything. She called home one night at 10.15pm. A nurse held the phone while she talked. She said that 'Gary didn't come see her'. I told her that he was there earlier before he went to work. Then she said 'My mind is screwed up, I can't remember anything.'

Gave me flashbacks after I graduated from HS, working my job and living with my grandmother. She had Alzheimer's along with Lymphoma. My mother and I shared the roll of taking care of her until she died in Oct 1996. Would go check on my grandmother and she would ask 'Who are you?'. At least my mother is not that bad, she does know who i am. She just can't remember things that have happened recently.

So, so sorry this is a very difficult situation. I know the last thing you need is spending more time with all of this. But, maybe a support group with others going through the same may help. There are many of us who are watching our children leave the nest and our parents returning. I hope you can find some help and remember to takes some breaks.

Her progress sounds encouraging: I hope she can get use of her hand, plus the walking. And yeah, pissing off your step father, I wouldn't feel bad about that at all. He *did* take that vow!

Back