My Son Is Deaf And Needs An Advocate

KERRIBROWN

Reaction score
Hi

My name is Kerri Brown. My son is Josh Lovett and he is 20 years old and deaf. He is incarcerated in the Marion County Jail in Florida. I am in the process of looking for some legal representation for him. In the meantime I am trying to get his story out to as many people as possible. He could use some encouragement and help in any way.

He was pepper sprayed and tazed 3 times. He was handcuffed behind his back and no Miranda rights were read to him. He has been in jail for over a month and has no interpreter or TDD to make a phone call.

Don’t get me wrong, Joshua is not totally innocent. He has become an angry young man since loosing his hearing 13 years ago.

He would love to receive mail if anyone would like to write him
Joshua can be contacted by mail
Marion County Jail
A0082571
Joshua Lovett
700 NW 30th Ave.
Ocala, FL. 34475

Thank you so much

Kerri Brown

hello kerri ,

i am sorry i ain't sending a letter to yoru son .. i dont want you guys know where my home address come from , etc. .since i dont know who joshua is.. sorry! :)

TOF

TongueOnFire said:
hello kerri ,

i am sorry i ain't sending a letter to yoru son .. i dont want you guys know where my home address come from , etc. .since i dont know who joshua is.. sorry! :)

TOF

The post here so that Joshua's mother will mail it for you without your full name or address. Isn't that very simple?

Welcome to AD and I'm sorry to hear about your son. I hope he will get his life back together and be a better person. :)

I never asked for anyones address

I was just sending out that message to people that would be interested in a pen pal with a really great guy. And to the person that said you hope my son becomes a good person..Thank you but he already is.

sequoias said:
Welcome to AD and I'm sorry to hear about your son. I hope he will get his life back together and be a better person. :)

He is a good person already

TongueOnFire said:
hello kerri ,

TOF

When you write someone a letter, you dont have to put the return address. And if you want it not post marked with your town, mail it from a different city. :D

He was pepper sprayed and tazed 3 times. He was handcuffed behind his back and no Miranda rights were read to him. He has been in jail for over a month and has no interpreter or TDD to make a phone call.

to be frankly honest. This is totally wrong there's an ADA law requiring a police station, jail facility, and prision to provide the same rights as other prisioners have.. a phone.. which means a TTY or TDD is required. interpreter is also required.

and other thing... police didn't say a miranda rights.. that's a HUGE mistake the police made. every arrest.. police have to state the miranda rights and make sure they understand what they're saying about miranda rights.

i hope someone here can provide a link related to ADA law related to this issue.. because a LAW is a LAW.. police can't break the LAW or ingore the LAW.

and i've hearing flordia is been terrible to deaf service... anyway anyone here please help the mother.

hope he gets his rights soon as possible.

my suggust is for you to connect Disability lawyer and umm.. (i'm trying to think what its called) (SHHH? or something like that?)

agree with Deafscub.. there should be tty provided and interpreter too, u would read ADA, American with Disabilities Act, for more informations, when cop handicapped him was interpreter there? how did ur son talk with cop what arrested for? if u dont feel to post here, dont answer.. just go look ADA website urself and u think cops did wrong get lawyer, good luck and hope ur son get out of jail sooner

MY Son can speak, that is how he can communicate, but he cant hear. He lost his hearing when he was 8 years old. Like I said before he is not totally innocent. He evaded the cops, but it was because he was on probation and he knew if he violated his probation he would go to jail, the idiot that called the police on him knew he was on probation and had it in for him, I have contacted ADA, NAD, and deaf services in Florida. I have written about 50 letters to advocates, and sent over 100 emails and many phone calls.. I wont give up! Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it

I really don't know what to say, there is line which is drawn in between. Apparently your son knew it all along. Number one, when judge grant probation. Usually this involved conditional agreement in exchange for serving the the time with correctional department.

I think it isn't fair for somebody to avoid the consequences by asking for an advocate. The meridian rights law is meaningless when it comes to probation violations. Why? Well, I believe he got the meridian reading when he was first arrested for that crime. So, he broke the probation related to this crime. So, I don't think police need to say this. He already knew his rights, period.

Im trying to stay neutral as much as I can, and I am not saying you should give up at all. What I am trying to say that he knew it, and should be facing consequences. It is not death sentence for him, isn't it?

diehardbiker65 said:
I really don't know what to say, there is line which is drawn in between. Apparently your son knew it all along. Number one, when judge grant probation. Usually this involved conditional agreement in exchange for serving the the time with correctional department.

I think it isn't fair for somebody to avoid the consequences by asking for an advocate. The meridian rights law is meaningless when it comes to probation violations. Why? Well, I believe he got the meridian reading when he was first arrested for that crime. So, he broke the probation related to this crime. So, I don't think police need to say this. He already knew his rights, period.

Im trying to stay neutral as much as I can, and I am not saying you should give up at all. What I am trying to say that he knew it, and should be facing consequences. It is not death sentence for him, isn't it?
:gpost:

See this is an interesting situation, i have been talking to Kerri here, and she explained to me the situation... as a whole i can see her son was at fault.. but who are we to judge?

I know some of you here are Christians..... and well im training to be a christian minister over here in england.... there is a passage in mattiew (new testement) chapter 7

Matthew 7

1Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

which means (gets the translated version)

1 Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

2 For in the same way as you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

it goes on to say about why look at the speck of sawdust in your brothers eye.... without first noticing the plank of wood in your own

i personaly feel that just because this person has commited a crime which by all means he should be punished for.... why should he be excluded from friendship? And as a christian its not a duty or an obligation to reach out to those who need a friend... it is something which we should all love to do... what right do we have to to judge him?

TongueOnFire said:
hello kerri ,

TOF
Uh, just don't leave a return address on the envelope and mail the letter from the main post office. Also, use a alias to sign the letter, no way that the letter can be traced back to you.

It is NOT about judge whose is at fault.

Once a person admitted they knew it all along, why should I help them?

Here is good example:

A deaf guy ran to you with bags full of cash, and told you that he robbed a bank and that cops are chasing him. WILL you advocate and help him get away from cops and the justice? I am sure you know the answer along the line here.

Sometimes people need to face their hard reality. Simple answer if you DO the crime, YOU DO the time!

Deaf_Jen said:
See this is an interesting situation, i have been talking to Kerri here, and she explained to me the situation... as a whole i can see her son was at fault.. but who are we to judge?

I know some of you here are Christians..... and well im training to be a christian minister over here in england.... there is a passage in mattiew (new testement) chapter 7

Matthew 7

1Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

which means (gets the translated version)

1 Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

2 For in the same way as you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

it goes on to say about why look at the speck of sawdust in your brothers eye.... without first noticing the plank of wood in your own

i personaly feel that just because this person has commited a crime which by all means he should be punished for.... why should he be excluded from friendship? And as a christian its not a duty or an obligation to reach out to those who need a friend... it is something which we should all love to do... what right do we have to to judge him?

Back