my road trip to ohio on sept 1. any good advice?

I remember my move from New York to Texas years ago.

When I flew to RIT for the first time, I brought a huge bag and 2 boxes. That was all I had. When I drove to Texas and back to New York twice (once in 1999 and once in 2000), I brought back more things. However, it was all the things I had gotten during my 8 years at RIT that increased my load big time. It was half things I got for Christmas and half things I got while I was in New York.

When I graduated in 2007, it was time to start moving things back. The load I had was too great to be put in a car and too great to be put on a trailer for my car to pull. So, I rented a minivan instead. I could have rented a regular van (big van with only a driver and a passenger seat up front), but the cost was HUGE. It was $500 something plus only 150 miles were free. The rest was on a per-mile basis. Driving 2,800 miles is gonna be expensive.

I then found a minivan that lets me flip the back seats under the floor and the middle seats can be unlocked and removed. That minivan would only cost me $300 and with unlimited miles! So, I got that... put the middle seat in the house... and loaded it up. I drove to Texas and unloaded everything at the end of May.

When I returned to New York, I had to get my car ready. It had a lot of problems and cost me almost $3,000 to get everything fixed... tires... alignment... horizontal stabilizer... shocks... etc. I then loaded that car up completely and headed back to Texas at the end of July. Whew! What a move!

I know that different states have different car inspection laws. When I was in New York, I never had my car inspected for 2 years because Texas inspection didn't apply to New York. Since you're moving to Ohio, better get your car checked there and make sure you're up to current standards under Ohio law. :)

i dont have to go to hotel. i can camp out, and i have saved lots of money about 1200 now.

Where and how are you going to camp? Walmart parking lot, "extended stays" at the rest areas? :giggle:

You might want to check out the legality of your camping methods, last thing you want is a dent in the budget due to bail.

I'm moving to Ohio, made sure my car is ready, checked spark plug, and replaced the wires, rewired with a new IAT plug wire from eBay, new exhaust hangers, new sets of tires, new brake pad, my air filter is still good, changed my transmission oil and engine oil, and took it for radiator service at Firestone, fuel injection are clean. any good advice for my trip?

What sure your spare tire has air in it and you have a working jack encase you get a flat tire. Recharge your cell phone and bring the charger too. Bring food and bottle water and a piss bottle encase you stuck in a bad traffic. Bring extra window wash for car. did let the city hall know you are moving , so you can pay of any car excise tax that you may own? Is your car insurance up dated?

I remember my move from New York to Texas years ago.

When I flew to RIT for the first time, I brought a huge bag and 2 boxes. That was all I had. When I drove to Texas and back to New York twice (once in 1999 and once in 2000), I brought back more things. However, it was all the things I had gotten during my 8 years at RIT that increased my load big time. It was half things I got for Christmas and half things I got while I was in New York.

When I graduated in 2007, it was time to start moving things back. The load I had was too great to be put in a car and too great to be put on a trailer for my car to pull. So, I rented a minivan instead. I could have rented a regular van (big van with only a driver and a passenger seat up front), but the cost was HUGE. It was $500 something plus only 150 miles were free. The rest was on a per-mile basis. Driving 2,800 miles is gonna be expensive.

I then found a minivan that lets me flip the back seats under the floor and the middle seats can be unlocked and removed. That minivan would only cost me $300 and with unlimited miles! So, I got that... put the middle seat in the house... and loaded it up. I drove to Texas and unloaded everything at the end of May.

When I returned to New York, I had to get my car ready. It had a lot of problems and cost me almost $3,000 to get everything fixed... tires... alignment... horizontal stabilizer... shocks... etc. I then loaded that car up completely and headed back to Texas at the end of July. Whew! What a move!

I know that different states have different car inspection laws. When I was in New York, I never had my car inspected for 2 years because Texas inspection didn't apply to New York. Since you're moving to Ohio, better get your car checked there and make sure you're up to current standards under Ohio law. :)

lucky i had my car inspected, alignment,tire pressure. they said my shocks are good about until next year or so. :P i have a friend who live in ohio told me about ohio laws, yes my civic is up to current standard, good tag until this oct (will get new tag in ohio anyway). my car had a more space due to extended when i open back seat with a key hole,then put backseat down it is pretty big space for a coupe,i dont have lots of stuffs except my custom pc, a desk and pc chair (can be dismantled) three large box, blanket,4 pillows, toolbox,lots of clothes. thats it :)

Where and how are you going to camp? Walmart parking lot, "extended stays" at the rest areas? :giggle:

You might want to check out the legality of your camping methods, last thing you want is a dent in the budget due to bail.

hehehe, i'm not planning to do for a "extended stays" for a rest area. just go all way until i get sleepy,then stop at rest area,rest until wake up,get breakfast,then continue driving until i arrive! i know i'm crazy but i prefer to be wise and budget, make sure my car is maintained properly,done right way to save money :)

What sure your spare tire has air in it and you have a working jack encase you get a flat tire. Recharge your cell phone and bring the charger too. Bring food and bottle water and a piss bottle encase you stuck in a bad traffic. Bring extra window wash for car. did let the city hall know you are moving , so you can pay of any car excise tax that you may own? Is your car insurance up dated?

I'm not living in the city: living in a Indian's reserved land,at my parent's home, and my car insurance is always updated because i always pay my bills early, btw i don't have any taxs because i don't have any jobs just a income from ssi income yes i made sure my spare tire, and two jack, charger but i plan to get new usb charger as here guys suggested its fast. i assumed its a 2.1 amp,still i can try it to get that. I hope its better than my sucky verzion car charger. you got a good point for extra window wash for my car. so it can be clean for safety,of course. :)

hehehe, i'm not planning to do for a "extended stays" for a rest area. just go all way until i get sleepy,then stop at rest area,rest until wake up

That's what I meant by an "extended stay", not just staying around for a half hour but rather sleeping there. All I have to say is make sure there are no signs prohibiting overnight stays, it varies state by state but you don't want a cop knocking on your window at 1am. By then it'll be hard to find a hotel.

That's what I meant by an "extended stay", not just staying around for a half hour but rather sleeping there. All I have to say is make sure there are no signs prohibiting overnight stays, it varies state by state but you don't want a cop knocking on your window at 1am. By then it'll be hard to find a hotel.

what? i guess i can check the signs if i see it

can you show the proof about the rest area. i have tried to research for two hour now

I'm not living in the city: living in a Indian's reserved land,at my parent's home, and my car insurance is always updated because i always pay my bills early, btw i don't have any taxs because i don't have any jobs just a income from ssi income yes i made sure my spare tire, and two jack, charger but i plan to get new usb charger as here guys suggested its fast. i assumed its a 2.1 amp,still i can try it to get that. I hope its better than my sucky verzion car charger. you got a good point for extra window wash for my car. so it can be clean for safety,of course. :)

I hate running out of window wash when I am driving. Yeah you need to keep your window clean for safety. Have a save trip. I guess you have everything covered . is your driving license is up dated ? I am very forgetful so I am thinking of things may forget to do.

I hate running out of window wash when I am driving. Yeah you need to keep your window clean for safety. Have a save trip. I guess you have everything covered . is your driving license is up dated ? I am very forgetful so I am thinking of things may forget to do.

my driving license still got 7 year to go :)

Another point about the cost savings of a hotel, you can find a fleabag hotel for like 40 bucks a night. You'd be much more comfortable sleeping on a real bed than a car seat. I don't know what kind of budget you're working with though.

If you're planning on making this a 3 day trip we're talking about 120+ dollars for the hotel. If you got that kind of cash to spend then go for it. The trip is gonna be boring as hell and tiring and the last thing you need is to not get enough sleep in a car. And when you get tired driving around you're more at risk of an accident, which is the last thing you want in such a long drive.

lucky i had my car inspected, alignment,tire pressure. they said my shocks are good about until next year or so. :P i have a friend who live in ohio told me about ohio laws, yes my civic is up to current standard, good tag until this oct (will get new tag in ohio anyway). my car had a more space due to extended when i open back seat with a key hole,then put backseat down it is pretty big space for a coupe,i dont have lots of stuffs except my custom pc, a desk and pc chair (can be dismantled) three large box, blanket,4 pillows, toolbox,lots of clothes. thats it :)
Sounds like you're prepared! :)

hehehe, i'm not planning to do for a "extended stays" for a rest area. just go all way until i get sleepy,then stop at rest area,rest until wake up,get breakfast,then continue driving until i arrive! i know i'm crazy but i prefer to be wise and budget, make sure my car is maintained properly,done right way to save money :)

Be careful where you stop ,I heard of people getting robbed at rest stops.

extra window wash? It's kind waste space for that and we dont bring windshield washer fluid with us for a long trip. Always check all fluid reservoirs even oil level and transmission level (if it have one) then clean windows and headlamp if need at gas stations during fill up a gas. Most gas stations have windshield washer fluid ready.

extra window wash? It's kind waste space for that and we dont bring windshield washer fluid with us for a long trip. Always check all fluid reservoirs even oil level and transmission level (if it have one) then clean windows and headlamp if need at gas stations during fill up a gas. Most gas stations have windshield washer fluid ready.

just in case.

Back