My own CI experience, my views on CI and ASL and Deaf Culture and Society

I don't understand. You said recent changes are the reason for the "hype", there hasn't been a change in 7 years.

I said , "I think..".meaning I am not sure. Of course, it takes a while for the word to get around and then so on and on..when the FDA changed the criteria, not a majority of the public really knew about CIs and then it was a gradual increase in awareness...that is just from my own personal experience cuz I graduated from Gallaudet in 2002. Back then, the awareness wasnt like it was today. I am wondering if it was cuz of the changes that the FDA made that started a domino effect.

Keep in mind, it is just an opinion..doesnt mean I am right. Just something that I have noticed since graduation...

Pretend audiologists don't get paid for either HA or CI under or over the table
Pretend audiologists/doctors have no opinion on oralism/ASL/CI or whatever
Pretend insurance covers both HA and CI

I honestly do not see the "hype" of the CI being different in this pretend world. You cannot ignore the potential benefits of the CI. When you have a good product that shows results, people want it. Simple as that.

I said , "I think..".meaning I am not sure. Of course, it takes a while for the word to get around and then so on and on..when the FDA changed the criteria, not a majority of the public really knew about CIs and then it was a gradual increase in awareness...that is just from my own personal experience cuz I graduated from Gallaudet in 2002. Back then, the awareness wasnt like it was today. I am wondering if it was cuz of the changes that the FDA made that started a domino effect.

Keep in mind, it is just an opinion..doesnt mean I am right. Just something that I have noticed since graduation...

I think 99% of the population have no idea what a cochlear implant is, even today. I think if you asked 1000 random people VERY few would have even heard of it, let alone know who can get one or what the risk/benefits are. I had never heard of them, or seen one, before Miss Kat was 18 months old. (in retrospect I remember that they talk about it in ER once, but it meant nothing to me.)

I honestly do not see the "hype" of the CI being different in this pretend world. You cannot ignore the potential benefits of the CI. When you have a good product that shows results, people want it. Simple as that.

I dont know what DD means by "hype" ..I cant speak for her. U asked and I responded using my assumptions.

I agree. Why did I get one for Miss Kat? Why do I recommend other parents look into it? Because they work.

I think 99% of the population have no idea what a cochlear implant is, even today. I think if you asked 1000 random people VERY few would have even heard of it, let alone know who can get one or what the risk/benefits are. I had never heard of them, or seen one, before Miss Kat was 18 months old. (in retrospect I remember that they talk about it in ER once, but it meant nothing to me.)

U could be right but I just know that the people I associate with are more aware of them than they were back in 2002.

My mom didnt even know what it was and now she knows pretty much everything about them from the candidancy process and etc. She learned that from reading the Deaf blogs..not from me. :dunno:

I can actually vouch for that. Everyone in the deaf community knows what a CI is for obvious reasons, but you'd be surprised by how many hearing people don't know ANYTHING about it. I interact with different hearing people on a weekly basis, and I would say a good 80% of them have never even heard of it. And the only reason why the other 20% have even heard of it is because they know someone who has it.

U could be right but I just know that the people I associate with are more aware of them than they were back in 2002.

My mom didnt even know what it was and now she knows pretty much everything about them from the candidancy process and etc. She learned that from reading the Deaf blogs..not from me. :dunno:

I think the average person is more informed that they were in the recent past, as well. There have been stories in newpapers, on television, etc., etc. about what a miracle the CI is. I think the average person still has a lot of misperceptions, but do they know what a CI is and what it is for. Yeah, I'd say they do.

I think the average person is more informed that they were in the recent past, as well. There have been stories in newpapers, on television, etc., etc. about what a miracle the CI is. I think the average person still has a lot of misperceptions, but do they know what a CI is and what it is for. Yeah, I'd say they do.

I disagree. I think if you walked into Walmart and asked 100 people, I think you would be lucky to find 1 that knew what a CI was.

How many do you think would?

If they are so well informed, why have I had 50 people ask me "What is that on her head" and ZERO say "Is that a cochlear implant?"

I disagree. I think if you walked into Walmart and asked 100 people, I think you would be lucky to find 1 that knew what a CI was.

If they are so well informed, why have I had 50 people ask me "What is that on her head" and ZERO say "Is that a cochlear implant?"

Maybe it depends on where you live cuz where I live, so many hearing people I have encountered know about them. I even shared a story here on AD a few years ago about one of my hubby's coworker telling me I should get one and why dont all deaf people get one to improve themselves. Heck, even my neighbor across the street knows what it is and she has never met a deaf person until me.

The folk at Walmart are hardly a fair representation of the population as a whole.:giggle:

And, I have observed through experience that people are more informed.

Maybe it depends on where you live cuz where I live, so many hearing people I have encountered know about them. I even shared a story here on AD a few years ago about one of my hubby's coworker telling me I should get one and why dont all deaf people get one to improve themselves. Heck, even my neighbor across the street knows what it is and she has never met a deaf person until me.

That has been my experience, as well. They may have some very mistaken perceptions, but they do know what a CI is and what it is used for.

The folk at Walmart are hardly a fair representation of the population as a whole.:giggle:

And, I have observed through experience that people are more informed.

Hey!!! I love to shop at Walmart!!! Are u saying that ignorant people shop at Walfart? LOL!

Of course more people are informed. More people have gotten the CI so more people know what it is.

I forget, what am I arguing for?

Of course more people are informed. More people have gotten the CI so more people know what it is.

I forget, what am I arguing for?

Same here..I dont know why I feel like I am getting drawn into an argument. Not here to argue but just make an educated guess based on my experiences which I have emphasized that I could be incorrect.

Back