My New HP Computer Stink!

Hp is good for lappys, if i was anyone of you
if buy just hardware, ask for discount to left off the OS
and buy a straight OEM OS..and install that youself...none of the bloated shitware invading the OS to render the machine shitless....
**I wish people would know this!!!!
it makes a hell of a difference

Hp is good for lappys, if i was anyone of you
if buy just hardware, ask for discount to left off the OS
and buy a straight OEM OS..and install that youself...none of the bloated shitware invading the OS to render the machine shitless....
**I wish people would know this!!!!
it makes a hell of a difference
What do you consider a good price for a 15" Windows laptop? (American $)

it depends on the CPU, and rams and what HDD or (flash drives)and another thing to factor in us GPU, Id never paye as much for a big rams (rams are cheap)

flash drive can wait (its still xpensive now)

get a lappy with at least 500gb

4 gb ram, (8or 16 gb you can have that upgraded yourself)...but for expansion...you really need to check it BEFORE buying anying...as well what types of Rams, some older ones are expensive, others real cheap

its weird i know
be
CPU,'s stay away from i3's waste of time
i5's good i7 better but power coe that consumption might be bad (never had a quad) but for gaming a quad is really a minimum now

15 inch? get at least at really gefoood GPU (video cards) with at least a mid range or higher
Rams you can have increased yourself

upgrade is market-laden terms in reality is just the same as increased, dont be fooled but same time dont be fooled about it maximum handling of Rams- DO check it before purchurse (look for 'upgrabled to 8gb or 4 gb or 16 gb etc)

us dollaors??
$2000us for an Alienware M18x Laptop

or down as $450 for an Acer Aspire AS5560-7402 15.6-Inch Laptop

or in between, a HP Probook is good, or a Thinkpad for 1300US

it depends on the CPU, and rams and what HDD or (flash drives)and another thing to factor in us GPU, Id never paye as much for a big rams (rams are cheap)

flash drive can wait (its still xpensive now)

get a lappy with at least 500gb

4 gb ram, (8or 16 gb you can have that upgraded yourself)...but for expansion...you really need to check it BEFORE buying anying...as well what types of Rams, some older ones are expensive, others real cheap

its weird i know
be
CPU,'s stay away from i3's waste of time
i5's good i7 better but power coe that consumption might be bad (never had a quad) but for gaming a quad is really a minimum now

15 inch? get at least at really gefoood GPU (video cards) with at least a mid range or higher
Rams you can have increased yourself

upgrade is market-laden terms in reality is just the same as increased, dont be fooled but same time dont be fooled about it maximum handling of Rams- DO check it before purchurse (look for 'upgrabled to 8gb or 4 gb or 16 gb etc)

us dollaors??
$2000us for an Alienware M18x Laptop

or down as $450 for an Acer Aspire AS5560-7402 15.6-Inch Laptop

or in between, a HP Probook is good, or a Thinkpad for 1300US
Hubby/TCS uses his laptop to check email and Facebook, post at AD, read the news, research products, and watch goofy youtubes. For him, I recently got a new 15-in HP Pavilion g6, W7 Home Premium, very basic. It meets all his needs, looks nice, and has good Dolby sound. I ordered it from HP with just the features we wanted, nothing more. It cost $470 (which includes shipping and recovery discs).

Due to my own error (my Windows Server Enterprise debacle), I had to buy a new hard drive for our PC desktop. It was $110. I download and installed a free student version of W7 Professional, and was able to re-install (for free) MS Office 2010. I wasn't thrilled to spend the money but not a bad price to salvage my desk top. I use it mostly for my school work (which requires using W7 and IE), so I like the larger monitor, especially for the lab assignments.

There probably are better deals out there but I can't spend all my life seeking them out. I research and search up to a point, and then I have to take the plunge. Buyers' remorse isn't productive.

Like you posted, there are some things that can be upgraded at a later date, if necessary. I agree with you about checking for "upgradeable"--some things are not.

My biggest disappointment was my Samsung Netbook. It came with Windows Starter. I bought extra required memory and upgraded to Windows Home Premium. It was fine until it started doing regular updates. It got to a point where it could hardly do anything. So, I reset it to factory settings. What a pain. Everything has to be re-installed and activated (W7, Office, etc.). So, it was fine again, for a while. Then the updates started again. Now it's almost useless again. I can't even shut it down via the Start button. It just loops "shutting down" perpetually, until I force the power down manually. There is something in the updates that overwhelms its system, I guess.

When I finish this semester (end of April), I'll probably reset it again (takes up too much time). Then, I will also turn off the automatic updates feature, and accept only hotfixes, security updates, and service packs. Bleh to all those other updates that supposedly "improve" performance.

Not surprised. I am old fashioned computer technician and yes, I am behind just like Grummer too. Hey Grummer :cheers: Computer technology had evolved so fast. And here is hard truth, computer during 1990's were very well built and manufactured and last a good long time. Nowadays, computers, whether built or off shelves really pretty much shitty in quality. Its because the PC industry is currently on the dying bed and it is harder to get better in future. Because of that, companies tried to cut corners making them too cheap so that they can offer lower price than their competitors.

I love the legacy motherboard, these days of legacy motherboard which is one of easiest way to upgrade anything. Only problem is you gotta to know which switch to turn on or off, and many of connectors are NOT key coded like today so if you plugged in wrong one on legacy motherboard, bye bye motherboard instantly. Not anymore, they are keyed, plus they are controlled by pNp just to make easier for idiots.

This is the reason why I realize that if you are planning to upgrade in future, your just wasting your money. Any computer built in 2005 worth less than 100 dollars and putting 100 dollars worth of upgrade isn't going to do much really. My computer technician days is really pretty much over and I am not going to deal with BS anymore. However, I am still in for Network technician, they don't change much and expandable without breaking the bank.

My biggest disappointment was my Samsung Netbook. It came with Windows Starter. I bought extra required memory and upgraded to Windows Home Premium. It was fine until it started doing regular updates. It got to a point where it could hardly do anything. So, I reset it to factory settings. What a pain. Everything has to be re-installed and activated (W7, Office, etc.). So, it was fine again, for a while. Then the updates started again. Now it's almost useless again. I can't even shut it down via the Start button. It just loops "shutting down" perpetually, until I force the power down manually. There is something in the updates that overwhelms its system, I guess.

When I finish this semester (end of April), I'll probably reset it again (takes up too much time). Then, I will also turn off the automatic updates feature, and accept only hotfixes, security updates, and service packs. Bleh to all those other updates that supposedly "improve" performance.

Not surprised. I am old fashioned computer technician and yes, I am behind just like Grummer too. Hey Grummer :cheers: Computer technology had evolved so fast. And here is hard truth, computer during 1990's were very well built and manufactured and last a good long time. Nowadays, computers, whether built or off shelves really pretty much shitty in quality. Its because the PC industry is currently on the dying bed and it is harder to get better in future. Because of that, companies tried to cut corners making them too cheap so that they can offer lower price than their competitors.
When you say that "the PC industry is currently on the dying bed" what exactly do you mean? Are you referring to desk top hardware or certain kinds of technology, or Windows OS, or...? I know that tablets, smart phones, and laptops are increasing in popularity but they certainly can't take the place of desk top set ups for all purposes.

Maybe I'm not getting the meaning. :dunno:

dying breed...ummm, hmmm yep, ...for all i know....sooner of later you'd have to be a buy expesnive TV with everything built in and with 5 cameras for esch rooms to communicate on 'comms' which would also may meann even more of a 'big brother is watching you'
they're cutting off teletext forcing people to rely on internet for tv guides, then how eveytghing, SKY, digital tv, news, internet is going to merge is going to be the next big thing and a next 'big fight' come to think of it, South Korea's Samsung is leading in those areas (even selling fridges that monitors what foods you've ran out and sending datas to your mobile 'to help you shop"...

the whole concept of mulit media is going to be centralised somewhat

Reba, DONT skimp on Windows grades, get the best OS you can, Home Prem or Professional is the way, forget the basic, home start shit, its just trouble

another thing, you can skim on rams and upgrade it yourself, rams are cheap, just dont skimp on level of the OS and graphics card, i cant explain but go for mid range cards, NOT low-end and certainly Dont be fooled with '2Gb video ram" it doesnt mean much, look at the GPU core, (ask them! to be honest which is more graphical capable),, Oh Batteries are expensive, so try get a lappy with at least 9 cells, 4 or 6 cells are a waste of time, unless you plan on keeping it plugged in and have 'emergency power in case a power cut occurs so you have time to back up your work' but for travel its a outright pain in the arse

Last edited:
apparently a recent Windows update (for Windows 7) caused a lot of computer problems for people (computer not starting up properly and such) so Microsoft was recommending uninstalling the update until it was fixed. I had the update but didn't have any problems with my laptop, but I uninstalled it anyway just so not to risk running into any issues.

I've got a Sony Vaio laptop, which I got Jan. 2 of 2012. I'm still very happy with it, and I had it customized via the Sony website. I also still have my HP desktop, have had it since.... 2009 maybe? 2008? I upgraded the memory in it a couple summers ago, and recently had to replace the power supply but it still works well.

PC usually refers to Personal Computer which usually could be desktop, tower, lappy. Less people are buying them now than it was 15 years ago, mainly because we got smartphone, tablets etc and it can do pretty much what they could do on PC, plus more. The only market for PC will survive is within office environment where they got lots of "paperwork" like at doctor's office. They don't really need powerful PC like today got to offer.

Not smartphone, tablet, etc they are totally different than PC. Electronic technologies will always advanced and will change at some point.

When you say that "the PC industry is currently on the dying bed" what exactly do you mean? Are you referring to desk top hardware or certain kinds of technology, or Windows OS, or...? I know that tablets, smart phones, and laptops are increasing in popularity but they certainly can't take the place of desk top set ups for all purposes.

Maybe I'm not getting the meaning. :dunno:

15 years ago? not that long smart phones didnt really pick up until 5 years ago, it was still just a lowly text-mobile phone to that poiint, if maybe 8 years ago but nah not 15...
lappys was still bit slow until 5 years ago...its JUST starting to catch up with desktops, and now gaming is still needing HIGH powered PC's which still creates alot of heat...so from that PC's is still gonna be around for another decade, me thinks...

but id will say this, i'd doubt much longer than 10 years now...

also, i dont think people wants to give up 'personal control' of internet contents ...like you tubes, programs, programming is still much alive, sharing, group websites, (like this here), and so on...

Back