My New HP Computer Stink!

I understand your perspective. What happened to Kodak? Its actually out of customer based business. Not many people realize this.

PC business are in dying, And there just announced a huge drop in PC sales. See this link HP and Microsoft tumble after worst PC sales drop - Apr. 11, 2013

Of course PC will be here for a good while, but eventually will be gone just like Chemical based photography.

Yes, you're right, but that has to happen because people are buying only what is seen as cool instead of smart. There is only so big a market and any in-road to that market has to take from competitors. So, of course, PC sales have to go down.

At some point, the manufacturing of only solid state devices may become cheap enough to save a consumer money. However, we are certainly not at that point yet as a Macbook still cost $1k and you can buy a more powerful computer for that price.

EDIT article: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/opinion-apple-retina-displa/

Last edited:
Yes, you're right, but that has to happen because people are buying only what is seen as cool instead of smart. There is only so big a market and any in-road to that market has to take from competitors. So, of course, PC sales have to go down.

At some point, the manufacturing of only solid state devices may become cheap enough to save a consumer money. However, we are certainly not at that point yet as a Macbook still cost $1k and you can buy a more powerful computer for that price.

EDIT article: The New MacBook Pro: Unfixable, Unhackable, Untenable | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

I don't recommended this MacBook Retina to OP but Mac Mini is best for HP desktop replacement.

Where did I say macbook?

I would recommend start with Mac Mini, it only cost 599 dollars and DON'T buy the $799 model because you could easily upgrade the RAM and it will be equilvent to $799 model only for about 60 dollars.

What I like about Apple is that their upgrades is dirty cheap, and whats even better is that their software license usually for two machines while Micro$oft limits to a machine, and their upgrade cost are unreal.

Does not matter if it is solid state. Robot is the one who is doing most of dirty work manufacturing them and that is what makes price so cheap. Hence "Automation"

EDIT article: The New MacBook Pro: Unfixable, Unhackable, Untenable | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

I am curious why you don't recommend Macbook Pro Retina?

because not all apps support retina, non-upgradable and unable to do hardware tweak - not very user-friendly to do repair.

OP needs consumer version of Mac, not professional so OP doesn't take an advantage with extra features.

Where did I say macbook?

I would recommend start with Mac Mini, it only cost 599 dollars and DON'T buy the $799 model because you could easily upgrade the RAM and it will be equilvent to $799 model only for about 60 dollars.

What I like about Apple is that their upgrades is dirty cheap, and whats even better is that their software license usually for two machines while Micro$oft limits to a machine, and their upgrade cost are unreal.
Does not matter if it is solid state. Robot is the one who is doing most of dirty work manufacturing them and that is what makes price so cheap. Hence "Automation"

That was just an example, not a reply to your suggestion.

That was just an example, not a reply to your suggestion.

My daughter helped me set up my new computer, she is not going want to go through all the hassle of setting up another computer. If I bring this one back I am not getting another computer.

My daughter helped me set up my new computer, she is not going want to go through all the hassle of setting up another computer. If I bring this one back I am not getting another computer.

Well, are you all set with the one you have now or do you still have problems?

Well, are you all set with the one you have now or do you still have problems?

It seem to be a little jumpy right now. I can't call for tech support as I find it impossible to understand people with an accent on the phone.

I called for help yesterday and the woman had an accent, I told her it was very hard to understand people with an accent on the phone and the woman said " I will be speaking English!" Right, she will be speaking English with a thick accent!

Sometimes relay operator having trouble with accent. Most voice tech support is located outside United States... Yeah cheap labor, that is why.

Yes, that why frustrated me really a lot.

Call to India - OH MY!!!

I checked and it is not worth the investment and I actually checked whats available off the shelve or just build one and I ended up get same cost. WTF?

It's cheaper in the long run. If the board dies on that HP you have to replace the whole thing. If the board dies on your custom-built PC, you can just replace the board :) Also you can do without a lot of things if you don't need them - mine doesn't have a case, or exhaust fans.

It's also true that if you can build one, you know exactly what goes into it. Also you can get the good stuff, and not what was on the OEM list when the PC was made :)

I understand your perspective. What happened to Kodak? Its actually out of customer based business. Not many people realize this.

Yes they stayed with film too long, switched to digital too slowly. They got beaten off by pretty much all the Japanese camera companies :)

Not necessarily true.

Some motherboard already has its limitation. I built several computers and know how they works. It is not always work the way you would think.

It is all because of chipset, they were technically locked as hardware. Supposed you bought a motherboard and it got RAM up to 8GB. Your pretty much stuck with this limitation and can not go pass 8GB even if you could try.

I have several custom built PC at my home, all of them are too old and too expensive to upgrade anyway, and that is how I know.

I would agree that building own PC would be cheaper without Micro$oft involved. But if you wanted add M$ OS then it adds up the cost to the point where its almost same cost as buying off the shelves.

It's cheaper in the long run. If the board dies on that HP you have to replace the whole thing. If the board dies on your custom-built PC, you can just replace the board :) Also you can do without a lot of things if you don't need them - mine doesn't have a case, or exhaust fans.

It's also true that if you can build one, you know exactly what goes into it. Also you can get the good stuff, and not what was on the OEM list when the PC was made :)

Not necessarily true.

Some motherboard already has its limitation. I built several computers and know how they works. It is not always work the way you would think.

It is all because of chipset, they were technically locked as hardware. Supposed you bought a motherboard and it got RAM up to 8GB. Your pretty much stuck with this limitation and can not go pass 8GB even if you could try.

I have several custom built PC at my home, all of them are too old and too expensive to upgrade anyway, and that is how I know.

I would agree that building own PC would be cheaper without Micro$oft involved. But if you wanted add M$ OS then it adds up the cost to the point where its almost same cost as buying off the shelves.

If you are PC gamer so you are stuck with Windows. :(

Then Staples lies to us when called yesterday! My daughter was told my old DELL speakers may not be compatible to my HP computer, so we went to Radio Shack and brought new speakers and the sound quality is better. I really do not know enough about to computer. What really pissed me off was the salesman at Staples telling me the computer had speakers when it had none! The manger at Staples was upset about this as they lost a sale, the manger tried to get my daughter to go his store in NH , my daughter came to my house right from work and we where not going to driving to NH again.
Once this computer dies, I am not buying any more! They're not worth all the trouble!
It's possible the speakers can still be compatible with a different computer. Speakers also require drivers. Not everything can be plug-&-play instantly. Since the speakers are Dell, you might have to check on the Dell website.

Sometimes relay operator having trouble with accent. Most voice tech support is located outside United States... Yeah cheap labor, that is why.

That is interesting. Since I can't hear what the relay operator is saying, I would never have thought of it. As far as I can tell everyone I've called has said they understood the operator fine, but those calls were in the U.S.

It's a good point...

OP, what about live/chat support? HP has something like it I believe.

That is interesting. Since I can't hear what the relay operator is saying, I would never have thought of it. As far as I can tell everyone I've called has said they understood the operator fine, but those calls were in the U.S.

It's a good point...

OP, what about live/chat support? HP has something like it I believe.

I will have to try live/chat support the next time, the only problem is my spelling is so poor.

Back