My name's Eric, and I'm new here

OurOneTrueKing

Reaction score
Hello everyone, how are you all doing?

I guess the formal thing to do would be to introduce myself and give some background information, so here goes.

I was born hearing, but at the age of 18 months, I got diagnosed with Spinal Meningitis and became profound deaf (125 in my left ear, and 135 in my right). On a side note, the doctors told my parents that I had absolutely no chance of survival, so my parents humbled themselves before God, pleading with Him to save me, and within two day, I was out of that hospital. The doctors were baffled. All the glory belongs to God who preserved my life. Of course, at that age, language is crucial, and my parents, wanting to give me the ability and opportunity to communicate with the hearing world, put me into intensive speech therapy.

People have said that I speak well, and have a German accent rather than a deaf accent, so I'm thankful to God for that. It wasn't until the eighth grade that I started learning Sign Language, and since then, I've become bilingual and bicultural. :)

I'm 23 years old by the way (my birthday is today, May 22nd), which is ironic since I'm introducing myself here on the date of my birthday.

That's my background info, and I'm excited to meet you guys!
God bless,
In Christ,
Eric

My name is Megan but my friends call me Meggie. I was born hearing too until age of nine months old. I caught a disease call Whooping Cough and a very high fever causes my deafness in both ears and blind in my right eye. I can hear very well with hearing aids. I speak very well. I didn't learn to speak or sign until I was 3 years old. I am 18 years old. My birthday is January 6th. I am interest to have you as friend.
Welcome to AD! I am still new too.

Last edited:
mmm i am hearing...but definitely interesting story!:)
WELCOME TO AD!!!

My name is Megan but my friends call me Meggie. I was born hearing too until age of nine months old. I caught a disease call Whooping Cough and a very high fever causes my deafness in both ears and blind in my right eye. I can hear very well with hearing aids. I speak very well. I didn't learn to speak or sign until I was 3 years old. I am 18 years old. My birthday is January 6th. I am interest to have you as friend.
Welcome to AD! I am still new too.

Funny, she ain't new, FYI. :giggle:

Thanks everyone for the welcome. It's a pleasure to meet you all, whether you're hearing or deaf. :)

Hi and :welcome: to AD! Enjoy your way around this insightful forum. :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I am Deaf and I am 62 years old, Cree Elder from First Nation reserve in Canada. My birthday is coming up this Fall and ugh, I will be 63 soon, yike!!! I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Just have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf, I hope you will enjoy reading and posting. :)

Happy Belated Birthday.

Hey, (I really am new, check out my post.) I love your story. Praise!! God is good.

Oh, Belated Happy Birthday!

Back