My Mom & I Sing in ASL

kambric

Reaction score
Mom and I sing songs in American Sign Language (ASL) at my book release party celebrating the publication of my memoir BURN DOWN THE GROUND.

It was the best night of my life much in part because she was there to celebrate with me. We didn't practice (Mom signs that in the beginning, in fact) and Mom hasn't been on stage in over 25 years, but it was fun. I'll never forget it.

http://youtu.be/BSKgHETndkw

Thanks, y'all! For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to embed the video. Argh!

Mom was on Cloud Nine the whole night. I might have to get her on stage more often!

Thank you! I can't stop watching it...just so much joy captured on film. :)

Last edited:
I hope you're getting a good response to your book. I found your blog about your dad addictive.

Thanks, Grayma. The response has been overwhelmingly positive from reviewers & readers alike. I wish I could get back in the blogging habit but I can't seem to focus on it. Twitter & Facebook take all of my energy these days.

Thanks, Grayma. The response has been overwhelmingly positive from reviewers & readers alike. I wish I could get back in the blogging habit but I can't seem to focus on it. Twitter & Facebook take all of my energy these days.

I am not sure it would be good for me if you got back in the habit. I think I read your entire blog (both of them) in about two days.

Very compelling reading.

Ha, that's so awesome. Your mom is adorable. She also looks really familiar, I could swear I've met her a couple of times... Has she ever spent some time in the OKC/Moore/Norman areas?

She IS adorable, isn't she? LOL! We're from Oklahoma...she went to OSD in Sulphur and her sister Carly lived in OKC until a couple of years ago. They look a lot alike so maybe you know Carly, too.

She IS adorable, isn't she? LOL! We're from Oklahoma...she went to OSD in Sulphur and her sister Carly lived in OKC until a couple of years ago. They look a lot alike so maybe you know Carly, too.

My memory is awful (brain damage due to CI surgeries) so I can't be sure. It's mostly the signing style combined with her face that I swear I've met somewhere before. lol That's going to drive me bonkers now. HA!

So sorry about the damage from surgery! I don't know how old you are but she used to be very active in Southwest Deaf Bowling Tournaments in 70s and 80s and performed ASL songs at them many times.

So sorry about the damage from surgery! I don't know how old you are but she used to be very active in Southwest Deaf Bowling Tournaments in 70s and 80s and performed ASL songs at them many times.

No, that's not it, I'm only 32. HA! Oh well. I will probably think of it 2 months from now at 3 in the morning or something. I did live in Tulsa for a few months about 3 or 4 years ago. I met a few deaf people out and about while doing errands - I had a hearing service dog with me then (black lab) so she was sort of like a big sign saying "If you're deaf, come say hello!" and I met lots of deaf that way (same goes for here in the Norman/OKC area too). I am betting it was something like that.

Oh, yeah, I bet it was in Tulsa then as Carly moved to Tulsa several years ago. She and my mother will both be at my book signing in OKC. All their friends are coming, too, which is why I need a proper ASL interpreter. Fingers crossed that I get someone good!

Fun video, and congratulations on your book. It looks like you guys have some SEE influence as well. You and your mom are great together on stage.

Thank you! Mom always does SEE when she's translated songs. Maybe because she needs to learn the lyrics by vibration & her little hearing that it helps her keep track? I don't know. But she loves doing it and I was so glad she was there with me to celebrate. Best night of my life!

Back