My Mission to create a better "Snug Fit" (For CI and HA).

even when I wear my hearing aids they fall off my ear when I tumble and stunt...it sucks..thank god for earmolds im just afraid one day its gonna fly out and someone will step on it :s

Lol i will admit, i have lost my HA several times when i had the hard ear molds, it flew out when i did my individual routine, and my coach had to get it after i finished my routine, cuz i couldnt see where it was. (yes this was at a competition) and i started using silly puddy, then back to soft ear molds amd works fine. :)

I know it's taking a long time but it's still going great. Just side tracked. I'm sure that's understandable. I've only been activated about 5 months so I'm still experiencing the new world of sound.

Anyway I'll tell you a little about my design and how it works. Look at this image.

1275079522.jpg

The green arrows indicate the direction the sound processor is already safe from moving because the ear is in the way. In other words it can't move down or forward because it's hanging on your ear. So for my design I didn't worry about stopping the sound processor from moving in those directions.

The red arrows indicate two things. They indicate the directions the sound processor can move when you are wearing it. It also points out the wall in our ear that my design makes use of. So my design runs a sort of curved rod from the sound processor into the area of the ear these red arrows are pointing to. So the end of it ends up in this half circle wall. If the sound processor tries to move up the it'll make contact with the upper part of this wall. If it tries to move back it'll be stopped by the wall in that direction.

So I ended up with this design that when not needed it's not touching your ear at all. But it moves in a direction it could fall off it's stopped from moving further.

I hope that makes sense.

Ron Jaxon

to Ron Jaxon

My CA 24 never once tried to fall off over the course of nearly 6 years.
The N5 has done so 15 or more times in less than a year since I got it. I've questioned the audiologist and Cochlear. No one had helpful answers.

I tightened the magnet a teeny bit to make sure the thing never fell to the floor. I got a snug fit. (Ugh). I got longer ear hooks. They help but not much. I took sandpaper to the plastic on the skin side of the processor. I even went so far as to weigh all the bits and pieces hoping to discover how this could be happening.

So, Ron... did your work on a bigger snug fit help? Have you come up with a better idea?

Back