My Mission to create a better "Snug Fit" (For CI and HA).

On the metal thing. I haven't found the exact metal it'll be made of yet. I got my prototypes that are made of material I've found but manufacturing isn't worked out yet. On the other hand, no metal will ever touch your skin when you wear it anyway so I doubt that'll be a problem.

I'm at the moment working on the patent pending. At least getting that much filed for now. A lawyer friend of mine is sending me information on what I should do. He also said he'd help me make sure what I have won't violate any other patent. So I'm lucky to have some help in that area. Getting things patented isn't cheap.

Ron Jaxon

If you are going to use metal: Titanium Grade 1 or 2, Ti-6-4 ELI, 316L stainless, MP35N, some cobalt alloys, and a few others. But if you stick with the first 4, then you have it covered.

C1

If you are going to use metal: Titanium Grade 1 or 2, Ti-6-4 ELI, 316L stainless, MP35N, some cobalt alloys, and a few others. But if you stick with the first 4, then you have it covered.

C1

Can you bend those metals slightly? What I need is sturdy but also because everyone has different shaped ears some might have to bend it a little. Not much, just angle it slightly when needed. I was looking at some old headphones for a walkman and that kind of metal seems what I need.

Ron Jaxon

Actually, it could be considered medical - as a prosthetic.

How about if it were designed to hold on a Bluetooth headset, and its function in managing to hold on a hearing aid or CI processor was just an unexpected advantage? :cool2:

Interesting point. Because this design could work with those. With some modification it could also work to help prevent eye glasses from falling off. Just about everything that goes around the ear really.

The hardest part I'm facing is the issue of everyone's ears being different shape and size. It'll work with them all but no one want's to have to glue anything to their processor. So, What I'm thinking is a shell like the N5 has but it's clear. Then this holder will attach to that in the proper location for their ear shape and size.

Ron Jaxon

Going great. Got a little side tracked because I have to spend next week in LA (Magic related). But the good news for this is I'll be there with my friend who is helping me make them so we'll be able to work out more details on it.

Here's the problem. I have three people testing them out right now. Me on my N5, a friend on her Freedom and another friend on a BTE HA. They all like it but the problem is each one is specifically made for their model right now. I'm trying to make it universal. The problem is that it has to be on a location specific to their ear and device without having to glue it on their processor or HA (No one would want to do that).

If all of them came with a shell that covers the entire body of the device like the N5 does (To change their color) then I'd be all set. Because it could just attach to the shell without harming the actual device. But only the N5 comes with those shells.

So, that's the issue I'm facing now.

Ron

suggestion...for snug fit

Well...you want it for all HAs and CIs, what about ear gear? www.gearforears.com they are covers for HAs and CIs. and could possibly be a "guide" to build the snug fit? or even part of the snug fit?
(I will admit the website isn't very user friendly) :(
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Yes, I picked up some of them to try out. They are nice but don't work all that well for my need. My idea for them was to attach my holder to them so they won't have to be stuck to the actual sound processor or hearing aid body. It works a little with them but because they are elastic (Kind of like spandex) they don't hold my holder quite securely enough. Basically my holder is about 90% secure hold. What I mean by that is there's an 90% chance it won't fall off. If you put it on the ear gear it would probably be able 60% effective. That's better then nothing but not as good.

I'm going to a picnic next month for teens that have the CI. I designed the T-shirt for it and I'm also going to be putting on a magic show there. I'm bringing along the holder I made. One for Nucleus 5 and the other for Freedom (They are the only two because I have access to them from my own N5 and my friends freedom). I made one for my mothers HA but they are a larger variety of models then CI's. So I haven't quite come up with a universal design yet. So I'm just going to get some of their opinions on it.

Ron Jaxon

Ok cool, is there a way i could try it out and see if it is "cheer friendly"? I am a lvl 5 cheerleader lots of tumbling and twisting in tumbling. :) also did cochlear accept ur snug fit?

I use a earmold to hold my CI so it wouldn't fall off. I have used the SnugFit for my CI (i have CI Freedom.and my inside implant is Nucleus 24.) sometimes the Snug Fit is not always comfortable. I would have to keep adjusting it And sometimes the snugfit breaks because of the wire inside of it being adjusted. I use my earmold or the snugfit for band because we're constantly exercising. And when i run, my magnet falls off and the processor too but its hanging by my earmold and i'm always afraid that the tube holding on the plastic microphone protector would pop off and drop my processor. Another thing is that the snugfit doesn't support the weight of my CI as much. It pushes the processor down and my ear would start to become red and a little painful to be using. So i decided to stop using it and just use the earmold instead. But i also hate using the earmold sometimes because my ear can't breathe. and in summer days, it gets hot wearing it and i would sometimes want to switch back to the snugfit and the whole process starts all over again.

Wirelessly posted

Is it a hard earmold or a soft earmold?

I switched to arycllc to stop rash and infections.

Ok cool, is there a way i could try it out and see if it is "cheer friendly"? I am a lvl 5 cheerleader lots of tumbling and twisting in tumbling. :) also did cochlear accept ur snug fit?

What model do you have? I'll look into it and see what I can do.

I'll tell you all a little more about my design. If you have a CI on you'll know that it won't likely fall downward because you're ear is in the way. For the same reason it also can't move forward (As in toward your face). So the directions it can fall are up and toward the back of your head. These are the directions it would go if it fell off when you are bending forward to pick something up off the floor or when you lay down on your back.

So when you have this one your CI or HA can't fall down or forward simply because your ear is in the way. Then it can't move up or backwards because of my design.

Now I'm not claiming that it's impossible to come off here. I think in your case with an activity like cheer leader I would use this snugfit design and also Attach it to a hair clip or something with some line. That way my snugfit will "Help" prevent it from falling off in a strong activity like that. Most of us don't flip on a day to day basis. LOL But if it does fall off it still won't land on the floor and get damaged.

I'll tell you this though. I'm wearing mine all the time now. I don't even notice it's there unless I'm at a position where it could fall off. Then I can feel it stop it from falling off. So it's great to not even feel it's there at all so it can worn all the time. I wouldn't want to use the snugfits that are out now all the time. An hour so max because it isn't very comfortable.

Also how is it coming along and how do u like ur implant?

I love it. I'm making phone calls even. I didn't realize how much I missed hearing things until I could hear again. It's given me a greater sense of independence too. Just to be with a group and know more of what they are talking about so I can join in. Or being able to call home when I'm at the store to see if we need anything. I take walks and listen it's amazing how much I hear. From the small sounds like the little stones that get kicked away from my feet when I walk down a sidewalk or street. To the birds. I can hear radios and TV's in peoples houses as I walk by.

So I'm very happy with it. Thanks.

Ron

I have the Cochlear Nucleus Freedom :) and hopefully going bilateral soon with the N5.
How much would I need to pay for the snug fit? sounds like a good snug fit to me!
(also, I will double check with my mom about the snug fit) is it still black? (i could always decorate it :))

LOL I flip pretty much on a daily basis. :)
Well...at one point during the summer I would expect 8-12 hours of cheer a day during choreography (about a week or weekend long)
other than that it would usually be 2-6 hours depending on what gym and what day and what team(s) I am on. (yes I cheer for more than one cheer gym :))

I there a hook at the bottom? (so when I am at cheer practice but not tumbling I could unhook it)

also u mentioned not wanting to use super glue (i understand why!) how bout velcro?

I am glad you like your CI, do you plan to go bilateral?
I know, its the little things that get us excited! :) I am not able to talk on the phone very well but I hope to be able to soon!! :)

one more thing....anyone have any idea how to braid the t coil cable into hair?? (someone told me that some girls do that) and I thought I might benefit from that.

Thank you very much!
p.s.Love the quick responses :)

The Freedon is a little trickier then the N5 because the N5 has those shells (To change the color of the processor) that you can put over them and just stick my holder to the shell. The N5 shell covers the entire body of the processor. The freedom doesn't have those. I have a friend that has the freedom and for her to test it I had to make a shall for it (the prototype don't look good but it serves the purpose. LOL).

I'll try to get one made for you just to test out. Might not look great but it'll work. So you can try and see what you think of the concept and how it works. When I say it don't look great that doesn't mean it stands out to the people who see you. It's very small (smaller then a finger nail). It just won't look like factory made yet. LOL

What ear do you have your freedom in?

Yea when I get the N5 i will get shells :)

LOL! thats fine!
I figured. :)

I wear the freedom in my right ear. :)

also one more thing, I know 2 other cheerleaders with CIs s oo if you want to do a "cheer trial" I can see if they are interested. (just a suggestion)

Parents said it is fine. but how much does it cost?

Thanks!

Coolgirlspyer90 - How about skeleton ear mould?

I have a skeleton earmold.
Wirelessly posted

Is it a hard earmold or a soft earmold?

I switched to arycllc to stop rash and infections.

Its a hard earmold i have. My parents decided to switch me from the soft to the hard ones when i was about probably 14 years old. And so far i'm comfortable with it. It just the fact it makes my implant hang by tube supporting it if i run with my CI on during band camps or during the marching season. But sometimes the hard mold hurts my ear canal sometimes, i would leave my mold off for awhile until it doesn't hurt anymore.

Back