My Map, Your Map - Who's Map is it anyway?!?

Passionate4ASL

Reaction score
HELP! I came home the other day from class so confused. lol See I was taught by three teachers (2 Deaf, 1 Hearing) including the one I mentor with that using 'map space' should be as if you are _looking at a map_. That means California would be on your left, NY and Miami on your right. This of course means when someone else is signing it your looking at it kind of backwards, but I got used to it. I guess being a right handed signer and the fact I am in Miami makes 'looking at the map' a lot easier set-up. But recently my new Deaf teacher flipped my map around!! haha He says it should be as if _you are the map_ which means NY and Miami on your left and Cali on your right, but when someone else views it its not backwards?

Example: If I am flying from Miami FL to California.
1.) "Looking at the map" - Start at Miami on the RIGHT side of your body, flying across to Cali on the left side?
OR
2.) "You are the map" - Start at Miami on the LEFT and fly across to Cali on your right side?
:hmm:
Can you please help me and tell me what you do? #1 or #2 ?
I just want to make sure I am signing it right.

I think that is the way we, Deafies, sign when we are talking about the directions. It is easy to say North and South signs but using the East and West signs, it can be complicate. Besides, most of us use the E for the letter for East if you are using the right hand moving to the right and then W for the letter for West to use the right hand for moving to the left. If you are talking about States or Provinces. Then all you have to do is spell the name of the city, state/province or use name sign for the city/state/province where you want to go. This way I need to sign like go West to California (spell California or sign flex your index finger(third from the thump) on your upper cheek near the eye). So I would go for the number 1 to answer the question.
I hope you understand my answer to your question. :cool:

Yes that makes complete sense. That is the way I was originally taught and the way I prefer, I am just trying to make sure. :) Thank you Bebonang. :ty:

Last edited:
You are most welcome. I am glad you like the idea and nothing has change at all. :thumb:

Anyone else?
My original explaination is a bit of a run around in circles so I'll get right to the point lol ...

1. East to the right, West to the left.

2. West to the right, East to the left.

Which one do you use?

Back