My little sister is being bullied! How can i help her?

Hannah louise

Reaction score
Hi,
i'm 14 and I have a littke nine yr old sister (she wears a CI and I'm a hoh). My little sister has being through a lot (with the CI and stuff), were quite close and she learns alot from me (':
she has absolutely no faith in herself, she very, very shy, and she is super quiet. She is getting badly bullied by the girls in her class, simply cause she's too quiet to speak up... Man I really wanna kick their arses and show 'em how precious and wonderful she is!:)
when we'd see anybody from her class in town or whatever, she'll go hide or be really red. All the girls in her class are super cocky and horrible. My mum said to me that the penny finally dropped with me and i finally realise that I am as good as everyone else, so would i try and help my little sister.
How can i help my little sister in the best way that i can? Plese help!

Find the little twits and give them a good 'come to Jesus' meeting. Tell them they are the ones who dont understand. Their words are hurtful and not called for. Tell them the reason your sister is quiet is because she can't hear and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Her CI is just like a pair of glasses, they help but they aren't a cure. There's no use in bullying her about it. Then proceed to let them know that you will treat them the way they treat your sister. Scare the daylights out of them.

Agree with Dixie^^ I was trying my best not to resort to violence in my answer but have to share. My oldest daughter is 6 her younger brother (3) was outside playing with her and her best friend who lives next door. The little girl next door told her (my daughter) that her brother was stupid because he couldn't talk, and my little girl whipped around and looked at her and said "if you ever say something like that again I will slap you like the wind and eat your face like a tiger" which of course made the little girl cry but it got her point across.

Your little sister is very lucky for having a big sister who is willing to take care of her.

What is the school doing about this?? Your parents should be going to school and talking to the teachers and principle . The bullies parents need to be told their brats are and if they do not stop charges will be press against them . It time to turn the tables on these bullies and give them a taste of their own medicine! You need to tell an adult that you trust if your parents do not step in.

This is a link to help deaf people in Ireland , it may help you help some help for your sister.

http://www.irishdeaf.com/?p=6910

I agree with Blondon704. As tough as it is, she will need to find some way to be more assertive. Going to the teachers can only do so much - little girls can find many ways to be mean and cruel while others aren't looking.

I don't know what you have available where you live, but some sort of self defense class might be a good idea, maybe even take it together. I'm not suggesting violence, but the self-confidence that can be gained by it might do wonders for her.

Good luck!

Or better yet, hit them over the head with the bible - literally. :shock:

I suggest using the Catholic bible, it contains the Apocrypha. It means it's thicker. :giggle:

Haha! This actually happened to a friend of mine in our confirmation class! Somehow the pastor didn't respond well to goofing off during *serious* religious training. :dunno:

Hmmmmm........she's functionally HOH too? Are you guys near a school with a Deaf Unit or a Deaf School? Unfortunatly there's nothing that you can really do to try to get through to snotty girls. I really think she sounds like a typical mainstreamed dhh kid.....and would prolly benifit from attending a school speciicly for dhh kids or at least a deaf unit. Maybe also going to a summer program might be good too....She could learn ISL.....It's funny but the very same girls who make fun of us for our voices and being HOH, are the very same ones who think sign is very cool.

Here's a link on Irish Deaf Schools Schooling | irish deaf kids
If your parents are insistant that your sister be educated orally, maybe they could send her to Mary Hare or even overseas to Clarke School for the Deaf here, in the states.

AND social issues are a legit reason for kids to attend deaf schools or units.

Hit the girls with a fish...any large fish will do.
I like cod but my sister is partial to tuna.

You may get in trouble but the sad truth is schools in general have their hands tied.by the law. Fighting back is a quick but dangerous way to fix it, but in some places legal action for harassment with a good lawyer works as well.

good grief!!! you really should be speaking up to the teachers/principal. They are the ones you need to tell and let THEM deal with it. Be sure to report ALL retaliations from them to teachers/principals. Be sure you do this privately to teachers etc.

Find the little twits and give them a good 'come to Jesus' meeting. Tell them they are the ones who dont understand. Their words are hurtful and not called for. Tell them the reason your sister is quiet is because she can't hear and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Her CI is just like a pair of glasses, they help but they aren't a cure. There's no use in bullying her about it. Then proceed to let them know that you will treat them the way they treat your sister. Scare the daylights out of them.

And tell them you will visit them during a full moon some night. :giggle:

Thanks guys, for all your ideas!
I especially like the bible one!!(;
We are about 3 hrs away from the nearest deaf/hoh boarding school and mom so would not send her away for 5 days at a time (she'd miss her too much)- not a hope in hell!
And my mom and dad know about the bullying, and the teachers.
The teachers said that could not do anything about the bullying.
It goes without saying that this is very bad teaching (where i live, it is extremely difficult to get a teacher sacked. Even if a million ppl protested against that techer, s/he still wouldn't be fired.), but we don't want to move her to a different school cause that would cause her extra trauma and bullying would probaly start up in the other school aswell.
Also, she is not keen on taking up any extra-ciracular activities.

Well, since all options are ruled out - she'll get picked on until she stands up for herself. I was a shy, picked on kid - so I know first hand it can be tough. But I also know that if she wants things to be different, she'll have to be willing to actually action of some sorts.

I know from some hard personal experiences that teachers & Principals don't always help in situations like this. Sometimes sticking up for oneself is the best solution.

Give her some confidence boost and tell her it's OK to stand up firmly for herself. I bet it sucks watching your lil sister getting terrorized by her peers.

Back