My freelance job, should i email them back?...

Danb

Reaction score
I do 3d animation as a freelancer. Recently i was in communication through email with an artist a couple hours away from me who is interested in hiring me.

The artist said i am the best qualified applicant and would like to hire me, but wants to meet in person first. I explained that i cannot hear in a noisy place like a restaurant and that i am not familiar with the area where he wants to meet. I suggested he find a quite place to meet. I told him i can hear fine in person as long as its not too noisy.

Every email i've sent has had a positive quick reply from him, except the last email where i said i can't hear well in noisy situations because i have a CI. In fact there has not been a reply from the artist since that last email. It has been 3 days since.

I am wondering if i should email him back to reassure him somehow that i will have no problem communicating with him in person and understanding what he needs for the job.

What do you guys think? Should i email him to reassure him somehow? If yes, then how?

I do 3d animation as a freelancer. Recently i was in communication through email with an artist a couple hours away from me who is interested in hiring me.

The artist said i am the best qualified applicant and would like to hire me, but wants to meet in person first. I explained that i cannot hear in a noisy place like a restaurant and that i am not familiar with the area where he wants to meet. I suggested he find a quite place to meet. I told him i can hear fine in person as long as its not too noisy.

Every email i've sent has had a positive quick reply from him, except the last email where i said i can't hear well in noisy situations because i have a CI. In fact there has not been a reply from the artist since that last email. It has been 3 days since.

I am wondering if i should email him back to reassure him somehow that i will have no problem communicating with him in person and understanding what he needs for the job.

What do you guys think? Should i email him to reassure him somehow? If yes, then how?

Any chance you can find a place that meets your needs and suggest it? I know that I owe someone a response for exactly the same reason -- I'm trying to find a good quiet place, and haven't yet found someplace that's lovely and quiet and also good for a noisy 5YO.

Well, to give the benefit of the doubt, something could have come up that got him really busy to not reply asap like before.

However, the fact he went so quiet so fast makes one wonder.

I think it would not hurt to email him back once more. Be firm in setting up an appointment to meet. I would not over-elaborate on anything else at this point, other than to say communication on a one-on-one basis in a quiet environment is perfect for your meeting. (I've had too many situations in which I explain to potential employers or clients too much and then they adopt that deer-in-headlights persona. I'm a graphic designer freelancer myself so I've been there and done that.)

Grendel thanks, I was thinking of trying to find a place too. That way they are not left worrying if the place is too noisy. I guess i was on the right track.

I've had too many situations in which I explain to potential employers or clients too much and then they adopt that deer-in-headlights persona.

Yeah that's exactly what i'm afraid of.

I thought you might be an artist when i saw your avatar. :)

I'm going to get back to them and tell them i have a day off soon so i'll use it to find a quiet place. Thanks guys.

Its nice to get helpful replies from people in the same situation. Normally if i asked a hearing freind i'd get "dude, f-them, if they won't reply because of your hearing, screw em". Or "dude, you worry too much!".

I agree that you should send an email with a choice of two locations that you know will work well for you. Then, the other person can pick the one most convenient.

I don't know how much you told him about your CI. Sometimes it's information overload for some people. For now, it's probably better to focus on a quiet environment being a benefit for both of you rather than a CI accomodation. Once you meet, you can answer any CI questions if they come up during the conversation, in a matter of fact way.

I hope it works out for you. :)

Back