My four day visit to RIT...

hugoboss84

Reaction score
I am studying in my final year in Canada, and I went on a recent visit to a job fair at RIT/NTID in October 2006, hoping to network with some employers and possibly secure a good job. I am profoundly HoH and never actually learnt the ASL, since I could speak and interact well and moreover, I have never had the opportunity to mix with the deaf community. So, here is my experience at RIT...

I was actually going to study at RIT, but my plans changed and I was in Canada. I am aware of how good RIT is for those who are deaf/hoh in terms of accessibility, inclusiveness and services. Studying in Canada for four long years, I shy-ed myself away from the crowd usually, because I know that I am the only hearing impaired in a student population of 16,000. Ofcourse, there can be more students who are deaf/hoh but I have not been able to connect with them either. So, basically living and studying in a normal crowd posed to be a very big challenge for me since there are occasional fears of rejection/neglect and its not always easy. I went to a normal high school too, and I was again the only "handicap" there. Moreover, I live on my own without my family since I am an international student.

Moment I went into RIT - it was definitely a big shock!! Half the employers were deaf and were communicating using ASL. And many more normal people still communicate in ASL; its like their second language. I spent four days in Rochester, visiting the campus, meeting the faculty, etc. I was so shocked to see the deaf/hoh students at NTID/RIT communicating easily in ASL, interacting so efficiently and enjoying their lives. They seemed extremely happy, have tons of friends and some are even into serious relationships.
On making an effort to communicate with a student who wanted to be friends with me, I felt so much like a loser who did not even know ASL!! I just had to talk by writing on paper and so on. Even the NTID library staff use ASL. It is JUST AN AMAZING WORLD I WISHED I LIVED IN. So, on my way back to Canada I tried to compare myself and realized that NTID/RIT students are much brighter, smarter, interesting people and I am far below since I know no ASL, am not very happy and I dont have friends. When I reached Canada, it was just back to my usual life style, where I feel so much lesser than all the normal students. So for the next 2-3 months I have been trying to judge my worth, trying to ask who I am and where do I fit best.

I have been learning the ASL all this while, and have been very active on disability activities in my university. But, I really wished I had that kind of happiness, joy, confidence that most RIT students possess. This is just my personal experience and why I really love RIT and its inclusive community.I have actually not been able to join any active society where people of my age can interact and be friends, since there are none in the city where I live. I did meet a few students at RIT, and it was such a beautiful experience getting to know what the other part of the world is like...

I went thru the same thing when I first started at Gallaudet University. Went thru all the same questions of my self worth as u did and did go thru an anger stage where I lashed out on my parents for not exposing me to deaf culture and not listening to my cries when I felt so isolated and depressed as being the only "handicapped" student at my schools growing up.

Now, I am past all that and have accepted my deafness, my family's decision cuz they didnt know better, and live a very happy and full live being involved in both worlds.

Hope u find your way through this incredible journey! Hang in there! :)

Back