My Formal Introduction

Kalima01

Reaction score
Hi
You’ve probably seen my posts floating around for a bit now but I don’t think I’ve formally introduced myself.

I’m from Perth, Australia (England born though) and I’m hearing.
I’m currently studying Auslan – I have two assessments left (this week!!) then I’ll have my Certificate II in Auslan Studies.

I’ve been studying Cert II for the past two years part time, whilst I work full time as a secretary for an Engineering company. Part time study only allowed for 1 – 2 classes a week in the evenings. My signing is a tad jerky but I’m getting there!

Since my second class I knew I wanted to jump head first into the Deaf Culture and Community. Signing is such a beautiful and expressive language and I’m very humbled and privileged to be a part of learning something so fantastic.

I am a single (just turned) 29 year old woman. I live with my Great Dane and two cats. I am currently a home owner and I recently had to get a housemate to help pay the bills and mortgage.

I never knew what to do with my life, I never went to University or TAFE when I graduated from high school. I worked. I went from job to job, always starting at the bottom and always had to move on once I got to as high I could go. I was sick and tired and depressed.

Before starting Auslan, I didn’t like myself. I was meeting the wrong kind of guys or spending most of my time on my own, wallowing in self-pity and hatred.

I started Auslan as a person interest, mostly to give me a hobby and something to do. From my second class I had made the decision to become an interpreter.

Since then my life has been amazing! I now have a purpose and goals to strive towards. Learning such an expressive language has made me more confident and my self-esteem has soared. I was painfully shy and struggled to make eye contact and Auslan has helped me come out of my shell and embrace life with more confidence and energy. I still struggle to talk to guys I find interesting, still shy there but I’m working on it.

Now all my plans are in motion. I have quit my office job. I now work at Bunnings (similar to US Home Depot) as the hours are more flexible (evenings and weekend work available).

I will be putting my house on the market early next year to sell and I will be moving in with Mum so that I can study Certificate II, IV, Diploma and the Interpreter’s Course Full Time from next year.

I am so freaking excited for my life to begin :lol:

Thank you :ty: for letting me join this forum and get to know some fun and interesting people.
During my next 3 ½ - 4 years of study I plan to do some travel and US is on the list.

I would love to come visit some of you and get to know you in person!

Thank again and HI :wave:

(British accent)

Hello Kalima... May I offer you a drink and a pair of slippers, ma'am?

(normal, tricky dicky confusing German deaf accent)

Rellaaaxxxxxx... This isn't the Glyndebourne here...

Are you anything like your avatar? I don't see why anyone would pass you up...!

Seriously, welcome, and make yourself comfortable, as Lurch is off tonight...

Edit: And it's interesting that you say you didn't know what to do with your life... I hope you really have. I've never really figured it out, even though I'm late 40s.

Hi deafdrummer!

Thanks hahahah, you're funny!

My avatar is Buffy: The Vampire Slayer - I wish I looked like her but I don't!

Well plenty pass me up (as you say) but I'm in a happier place so I'd rather concentrate on my studies and getting involved with the Deaf Community.

And yes, I believe I have found the path I'm meant to be on :)

Welcome to Alldeaf

Enjoy for have an joyful pleasure day! fun nice to meet :)

Hello Kalima01,
Thanks for finally coming out of your ” shell”.
Interesting reading your post. All along been thought you were Deaf or
Hard of Hearing like majority of us on the forum.
Also thought you were from U.S (Washington State), unknown that you
were from Perth, AU and been studying Auslan the past two years while
working. Kudos and Wishing you Best of Luck on your Studies.
You are more Welcome when visiting U.S. and a red carpet reception awaits you once you stepped out
of the flight. :) .lol.
Best Wishes for the Holidays and a Prosperous New Year, 2013 full of New Endeavors to YOU. Cheers.

Thanks CoolMickey :) I guess your spare room is being set up for me as we speak? heheheh

Deafdrummer - I read Vampire Diaries before it was cool :) back in the 90's! I remember watching the 1st episode of the series and thinking "this seems very familiar!" yep - I have the original series as books (there was only 4 books then, since the show I believe the book series has been expanded.)

Forever Knight - I've never heard of that - what is it about?

Just handed in my enrolment form for Certificate III Auslan Studies!!!

Shit's getting real now!

Had my last ever assessments in Auslan Certificate II last week, I didn't feel super confident but I'll get my feedback this week!

Fingers crossed

YAY I have a graduation Ceremony next year in March for my Certificate II!!

Hello again!

I was just reading through all my posts and WOW!! So much has changed - I have really not been on here for a very long time!!

So what is new?

Well I sold my house and moved in with my Mum.
I have completed Certificate IV in Auslan and now await my certificate in the mail... In one more week I will be starting Diploma of Auslan!!

Wow!

My Great Dane, *sob* had to be euthanized in May as he got very sick and was being gastric tube fed but was losing weight and not going to get better - he was only 5yrs old and it broke my heart.

I still tear up and slowly mending my heart, but he stole a piece that's for sure.
I still have my cats and one is like a little dog, so she helps.

I had an awesome party last year for my 30th!! Wow 30 already!!

I'm currently in a 4mth relationship but there is some kinks to be worked out and then hopefully we shall be happy... So it's not completely rosy but I'm being optimistic!!

I've met some amazing deaf people and my signing is a lot better hahah.
I met one man from Italy!! It was crazy learning some Italian / International signing... He was backpacking around the world.

I met a fantastic man from US - Lives in Washington D.C but originally from Louisiana - he studied at Gallaudet University - maybe someone may know who he is? Armani Aluta - he is a black man, very nice man

Anyway lots have changed!! n such a short time as well!!!

:welcome: back to AllDeaf Forum. Long time since 2012. Enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Back