My First Interpreter

lucky loser

Reaction score
So today i went to a deaf group for teens and most signed, there were three interpreters and i never had a terp before so it was new to me. One was perfect, told me i don't need to get her attention just speak and she'll sign it plus she spoke loudly so all the people with ci or ha could hear could hear. The other one talked quietly and she didn't understand some signs.
So how was your first terp experience.

i can't remember my actual first terp but i do remember one of the 1st. it was in college and she had these large hands and large mouth !! not to say it was unattractive but that it made following her interpreting much easier. her hands while large were very "graceful" and fluid. i actually told her she was my fav because she had a big mouth and we shared a good lol

I don't remember because i was a baby or toddler when i first had an interpreter since now. :dunno: Glad you like it.

Well, I actually met my best friend because she is interpreter for the Deaf. We met at a Christian meeting where they gave a free dinner each Friday and had a church service afterwards. I met her there, and found out she knew Auslan. I only knew a little signed English and small amount of Auslan, so I signed Hi to her, andshe went off into super fast Auslan, and I had to tell her to go slow as I was only learning. From then on, she interpreted the services for me each week, so I picked up Auslan from her. I got her lots of work at various places as my interpreter! He he he!!

Because of her, I now interpret at my church, even though I not full qualified interpreter, bse I am only person who can sign, and also who can talk as well, bse the Deaf I interpret for do not have any English at all.

AuslanGirl :)

My first interpreter was I went to uni in my 1st year. She was young, only 3/4 years older than me. I liked her cos she funny. She does terping and also chat to me and funny as well. I like most of my interpreters, only 2 of them I don't like. Those two was bit like snobby cos they would only terp, no chat, nothing, and if I ask for little help, nothing much they say it not their job to do that. Lucky those two I never had them again after 1st time! Phew.

My first interpreter was I went to uni in my 1st year. She was young, only 3/4 years older than me.
I guess you are young. Only young people measure ages in fractions. :lol:

I liked her cos she funny. She does terping and also chat to me and funny as well. I like most of my interpreters, only 2 of them I don't like. Those two was bit like snobby cos they would only terp, no chat, nothing, and if I ask for little help, nothing much they say it not their job to do that. Lucky those two I never had them again after 1st time! Phew.
What kind of "help" did you ask for? There are some kinds of "help" that terps aren't allowed to do.

I guess you are young. Only young people measure ages in fractions. :lol:

Lol I was 19 when I went to uni. 23 now.

What kind of "help" did you ask for? There are some kinds of "help" that terps aren't allowed to do.

Help like some of words I don't understand, ask terp to explain (English words, tech words I would ask tutor and terp translate). Repeat some parts of what terp says (usually important parts that I must know/do so I can write them down at break times like exam dates, deadlines, list things tutor says we all must do).

Most terp I have used (except 2, I never ask those two do this cos they refused to do above, then no way they would do this as well) would be very happy to read my essay for English mistakes, read assignment sheet what I am suppose to do and translate for me. They never refused to do that.

I had an interesting problem yesterday the speaker is British and had BSL as a first language and NZSL as a second so she got stuck on a sign and had to act out the word, the word was gymnastics so it was to funny for words i can spell.

I was in Washington, D.C. for a week with a group of kids from my high school. We were there to learn about politics and the city...it was some kind of educational program (can't remember what it was called.)

They separated me from my high school group and put me in a new one...I was like, what? Then I realized...they were...deaf! I was uncomfortable...and there was this weird lady who sat right in front of us, facing the "wrong" way. I was baffled. Then she started...signing!!! What?! Then it dawned on me...they assumed I used an interpreter because I was deaf. Technically, I was "oral-deaf" at that time and didn't use one at my school.

My life changed. Literally. My world opened.

Two weeks later, I dropped out of high school. A couple months later I transferred to a deaf school and started signing again. :)

I was in Washington, D.C. for a week with a group of kids from my high school. We were there to learn about politics and the city...it was some kind of educational program (can't remember what it was called.)

They separated me from my high school group and put me in a new one...I was like, what? Then I realized...they were...deaf! I was uncomfortable...and there was this weird lady who sat right in front of us, facing the "wrong" way. I was baffled. Then she started...signing!!! What?! Then it dawned on me...they assumed I used an interpreter because I was deaf. Technically, I was "oral-deaf" at that time and didn't use one at my school.

My life changed. Literally. My world opened.

Two weeks later, I dropped out of high school. A couple months later I transferred to a deaf school and started signing again. :)

Close up?

Nope, not that one...it was Presidential something.

The deaf school I went to used Close Up...the public school used a different, but very similar, program...now it's bugging me that I can't remember. lol

Wow, a friend who went with me answered me like in seconds on facebook...lol...

Presidential Classroom

Ive only had 3 terps ever. My first was wonderful and I still consider her a friend. She moved. Sigh. My second one is also still a friend and she was the best at ASL, she was so fluid and gracefull. She needed a job with insurance and got a full time job. My last interpretor was very young, he got sick and got into a lot of trouble. He moved now. No more terps.

my first interpreter was when I was in kindergarden. at first I thought my interpreter was mean. because I was learning sign language then. I asked an lunch staff for more milk, my interpreter signed to me saying I couldn't have any more, I got mad and I threw mashed potatoes at her. up till elementary school I learned that she was trying to help me communicate. that's kind of the only thing how I remember my first interpreter as.

I don't remember my very first interpreter because most of my interpreting is just done by my friends. Because I lip read so well, I don't need interpreting too much in a small group setting. Sometimes I'll just look at my friend and they'll remouth the words clearer so I can understand it better. My first certified interpreter was actually quite recent. Like I said, most of my friends will interpreter for me, come to the doctors with me, etc. I know I can have them get me one, but my friends and I like hanging out anyways so we figure why not. Anyways, my first terp that wasn't specifically for me was at my new church. There are two and they switch throughout the service to take mini breaks. I love one of the terps so much. In face, I've had her do some for me in my personal life as well as the smaller youth groups at my church where she normally wouldn't be at. I just lover her to death. I've had a few other's for classes and things like that but I'm never really had an interpreter that I've used more than a couple times other than this new church terp. Although, the worse my eyesight gets the less I'm going to be able to lip read so I'm guessing soonish I'll be needing a bit more interpreting. We'll see.

I don't remember my very first interpreter because most of my interpreting is just done by my friends. Because I lip read so well, I don't need interpreting too much in a small group setting. Sometimes I'll just look at my friend and they'll remouth the words clearer so I can understand it better. My first certified interpreter was actually quite recent. Like I said, most of my friends will interpreter for me, come to the doctors with me, etc. I know I can have them get me one, but my friends and I like hanging out anyways so we figure why not. Anyways, my first terp that wasn't specifically for me was at my new church. There are two and they switch throughout the service to take mini breaks. I love one of the terps so much. In face, I've had her do some for me in my personal life as well as the smaller youth groups at my church where she normally wouldn't be at. I just lover her to death. I've had a few other's for classes and things like that but I'm never really had an interpreter that I've used more than a couple times other than this new church terp. Although, the worse my eyesight gets the less I'm going to be able to lip read so I'm guessing soonish I'll be needing a bit more interpreting. We'll see.
You do realize that it's unethical and in some cases illegal for your friends to interpret doctors' appointments? I'm surprised that your doctors allow it.

I've had many friend come to my appointments because when I'm too sick I can't drive myself. I allow them in my room most of them time. They just happen to interpret for me. It's not in any formal way. It's more, just anything I don't catch by lip reading they will interpret to me, but I speak for myself.

I've had many friend come to my appointments because when I'm too sick I can't drive myself. I allow them in my room most of them time. They just happen to interpret for me. It's not in any formal way. It's more, just anything I don't catch by lip reading they will interpret to me, but I speak for myself.
It doesn't matter if it's "formal" or not. It's unethical and unwise for family and friends to "interpret" medical appointments. The doctor who allows it is taking a big risk.

There's nothing wrong with your friends driving you and waiting with you. They just aren't supposed to go into the examination room with you.

Does your doctor or his staff require them to sign a HIPPA privacy form, or forms protecting him from malpractice due to misinterpretation?

My friends go into the exam room with me all the time...not to interpret mind you. But just as support or whatever. I have never been told they shouldn't - by anyone. Both my parents are medical professionals too.

No real interpreter, means I write back and forth. SOMETIMES I will have a friend or support person repeat, verbatim, what the doctor said to me because I can read their lips far better than the doctor with a strong accent and beard or something but it verbatim outloud oral "interpreting" that the doctor monitors as it goes. Because of that it seems far more acceptable.

First interpreter - a Long long time ago. Long. I can't even remember. I can remember the first when I moved to Toronto because they had a broken arm and no teamer. I remember showing up and firing them after learning it was their dominant arm that was broken and only understanding because of their obnoxious lip movement to accompany the hand flapping....

Back