My Family History, Prelingual Deafness

Wintermagnolia

Reaction score
Recently I started school to Master in ASL & Deaf Studies. My education is going well. I talk to my mom about everything, she is one of the only people i will talk to on the phone. (I usually dont like phone conversations because they are hard to follow due to hearing problems.) Last weekend she informed me that my biological father, who i have never known, has hereditary deafness runs in the family. My bio dad's older brother is prelingually deaf. I have struggled in school my whole life, not because i lack intelligence but mostly because it is extremely tiring to follow along with the teachers. My mom suggested I get my hearing tested again, since the last time was when i was really young. I had constant ear infections and hearing loss issues, but we lost our insurance so they eventually stopped taking me to appointments.

What im wondering is this... How common is it for someone with Deaf relatives to be HOH, or late-deafened? Hearing problems are also hereditary on my mother's side, although most of the time it's late-deafness or gradual hearing loss throughout life. And, if someone has lived their life HOH without knowing it, would that person be more naturally drawn towards sign and the Deaf Community? My whole life I have used lip-reading to help understand what others are saying, used exaggerated facial and body expressions while talking (my family calls me "animated" lol), speak "too loudly" and always felt...cut off from others. I learned to just say "yeah," when i miss important words, and to say "Sorry?" instead of "what?" cause people get irritated less with "sorry?" than "what?" for some reason? :/ :confused:
It wasn't until I dated a boy in HS whose whole family was Deaf where I felt at home.
My mom wants me to get a hearing aid if I am indeed HOH, but i do not. I am comfortable with myself the way i am. I'm worried this will be a disagreement between my family and i. Any advise? Thank you :) :wave:

My family has been very supportive, and my cousin and aunt have both decided to start learning ASL! I am very happy :)

The decision to join the deaf/hoh community is a very individual one. Do what makes you happy. You're an adult now and you need to follow your own path. Reassure your family that you love them and will always love them. That's what family members need to know. Welcome to AD! :wave:

The decision to join the deaf/hoh community is a very individual one. Do what makes you happy. You're an adult now and you need to follow your own path. Reassure your family that you love them and will always love them. That's what family members need to know. Welcome to AD! :wave:

Thank you so much :) You're very right. sometimes I forget that my life is my own.
I will do that. I think my family is happy for me, and will understand whatever choice I make regardless.
Your advice is appreciated :)
:ty: I love it here, everyone is so very sweet :) definitely an amazing forum! <3 :wave:

Just wanted to say hi and welcome!! ASL is purely your choice, your family should not stop you and should respect your wishes.

I have struggled in school my whole life, not because i lack intelligence but mostly because it is extremely tiring to follow along with the teachers.
Did you know that in the 70's it was very common for kids who were actually hoh, to be misdx as having intelelctucal disabilites?
I would suggest you get into the whole Deaf world......Hoh people ARE welcome in the Deaf community. Are you in college? Maybe you could transfer or something to Gally or NTID to get the full immersian experiance!

I learned ASL at the age of 25 and that was when for the first time in my life was I finally found inner peace and happiness.

Just wanted to say hi and welcome!! ASL is purely your choice, your family should not stop you and should respect your wishes.

Hi :wave: thank you :) Thankfully my family has been very supportive. They are even starting to pick up basic signs, and my cousin will *try* and talk with me in ASL although I am still very new and she is even more so. I feel extremely lucky, I have heard some very sad stories about familys becoming distant and even rejecting those who chose to use ASL and become part of the Deaf Culture. I'm very fortunate :)

Did you know that in the 70's it was very common for kids who were actually hoh, to be misdx as having intelelctucal disabilites?
I would suggest you get into the whole Deaf world......Hoh people ARE welcome in the Deaf community. Are you in college? Maybe you could transfer or something to Gally or NTID to get the full immersian experiance!

my guess is that still happens :(
I am going to a social at the local mall on the first, i'm kind of nervous because my signing skills still are not very fluent. I'm slow and reading finger spelling is still very hard for me..
I am, I am taking ASL2 right now. I recently decided to Major in ASL&Deaf Studies. My teacher suggested Gallaudet also, that seems like a wonderful college and I am hoping to transfer there when i am finished with my Associates General Transfer degree..what is NTID?

I learned ASL at the age of 25 and that was when for the first time in my life was I finally found inner peace and happiness.

that is amazing to read, my mom told me last night this is the first time she has seen me happy since i was young. She said I seem "peaceful and motivated". this is the first time i have felt purpose and comfortable. thank you for sharing that with me :)

recently decided to Major in ASL&Deaf Studies. My teacher suggested Gallaudet also, that seems like a wonderful college and I am hoping to transfer there when i am finished with my Associates General Transfer degree..what is NTID?
YEAH! Go for it. Does your community college have good dhh supports? Like C-Print and notetakers and stuff like that? Take advantage of those....it will really help you when you transfer.
NTID is National Techological Insistute for the Deaf in Rochester NY. Although I don't think it has a Deaf Studies program.

YEAH! Go for it. Does your community college have good dhh supports? Like C-Print and notetakers and stuff like that? Take advantage of those....it will really help you when you transfer.
NTID is National Techological Insistute for the Deaf in Rochester NY. Although I don't think it has a Deaf Studies program.

:ty: Clark College is OK.. note-takers are volunteers from the class which i do, and what is C-Print? Clark provides interps for deaf students, they try to accommodate.
Oh... I am not much for tech stuff. I think im a right-brain kinda person lol :)

Back