My Experience With Bilateral C.I's

Hockey94

Reaction score
Hey,

This is about my experience with having two cochlear implants, and what I think of having two of them.

In September 2006, I had my first C.I implanted. When it was activated, I couldn't help myself but to laugh into tears. The reason was the voices I heard, sounded like chipmunk voices, all high pitched. It was hilarious, but unfortunatley I got used to it, and I can hear pretty good with it.

It wasn't until late June/July of 2011 until I realized what I was truly missing. When my second C.I got activated, ironically the opposite happened, where I heard deep voices, which to be honest scared me a little. Not so much laughing this time. *sadface*. Anyways, it was then I realized the C.I filled that missing gap in my head, when I could hear with the both of them.

It's like they (the ears) work together to create one sound, and ever since I love wearing them both.

However my 2006 Freedom is getting old, next year I'm due for an upgrade to the n5.

I noticed if one of my C.I's died, I tend to favour the right ear (2006 Freedom) more cause I'm confident in my hearing.

However, I'm slowly gaining confidence in my left ear, but I don't like hearing with one C.I at all.

I feel so dissapointed when one dies (if I forgot to charge batteries). That's how much I love both of them!!

Thanks for your perspective.
If you had the chance to have been implanted in both ears at the same time, would you do it?
Do you think staggering the implants was good (maybe so that you could get used to hearing one ear at a time) or do you think it would have been easier having both ears implanted at the same time?

Your experience is exactly like mine. Glad it is working out for you.

Back