My experience at Gallaudet

Ha, and since the murders at Gally in 2000 ... It was in TIME magazine on June 25th, 2001. Looking back then, I realize that they deserve public embarrassment. Gally won't ever get my support, period. Hell, I even WANTED Gally to lose their accreditation because then the deaf students would not have any choice but to attend local/state universities. Deaf culture do NOT, and should not, evolve around their lives, period.

Thanks, undecisive gurl, for warning me. I'm oral too as well.

U want Gallaudet to close down simply cuz of your bad experiences? Oh pls! The world doesnt revolve around you. U are sure acting like those Deaf people u complain about.

If u dont like Gallaudet, that is your opinion. However, I like Gallaudet and have nothing but great memories there. I have bad memories of public school so does that mean all public schools should shut down? Nope.

I am oral too as well.

I love Gally but will not enroll this fall because of not quality for FAFSA and VR support due of my parent's income, I have wait within several years or so.

I'm currently working on other planning, also will enroll in later time.

I was never a student at Gally because I was planning on going to Harvard (but things happened, and I ended up going to a state university). I, however, have visited Gallaudet many times for workshops, presentations, to talk with the folks at the Clerc Center, observations, and just to hang out with my friends who went there. I've always felt that it was "home" away from home. I noticed that there is an attitude of "Deaf Pride" that can go over the top - a little too much for me. I like to hang out with people from ALL backgrounds, not just the "big D" deafies. Several of my friends whom I met during oral camps and programs had a difficult time...and several other friends who were oral ended up there and loving it. I guess it depends on how you take things in stride and how you are willing to adapt. The friends who later learned sign language (most of them learned ASL, not English sign language) tell me that they cannot believe they lived without signing growing up. The experience was life changing for them. The friends who chose not to sign ended up transferring to other places with a bitter taste in their mouth whenever they talk about Gallaudet.

I was never a student at Gally because I was planning on going to Harvard (but things happened, and I ended up going to a state university). I, however, have visited Gallaudet many times for workshops, presentations, to talk with the folks at the Clerc Center, observations, and just to hang out with my friends who went there. I've always felt that it was "home" away from home. I noticed that there is an attitude of "Deaf Pride" that can go over the top - a little too much for me. I like to hang out with people from ALL backgrounds, not just the "big D" deafies. Several of my friends whom I met during oral camps and programs had a difficult time...and several other friends who were oral ended up there and loving it. I guess it depends on how you take things in stride and how you are willing to adapt. The friends who later learned sign language (most of them learned ASL, not English sign language) tell me that they cannot believe they lived without signing growing up. The experience was life changing for them. The friends who chose not to sign ended up transferring to other places with a bitter taste in their mouth whenever they talk about Gallaudet.

U just practically described my experience at Gallaudet as a whole right there!

I encountered difficulties at first but I was already used to being discriminated by the hearing world so I had nothing to lose. LOL! Turned out that it was just a small group of people who were testing me which was unecessary but I just let it go since it wasnt my goal to become Deaf power and all that.

LOL! Turned out that it was just a small group of people who were testing me which was unecessary
Yes, there are even a lot of professors at Gally who learned Sign as a second language!
I wonder if the same thing happens at black colleges like Morehouse. Most students are prolly OK, but there might be extremists who are very Nation Of Islam types ( like Louis Farrkkarahn style )
Just wish there was some way we could make Gally more "new to the Deaf World" friendly. I bet a lot more people would go to Gally, if it was percieved as being more moderate.

I got accepted to Gallaudet! I was pretty impressed with Gallaudet's Open House few weeks ago. I don't have much experience at Gallaudet yet but I'm certainly will have blast time in Rockfest events tomorrow at Gallaudet! ;-]

Congralutation to you! I will see you this Fall! I finish my ACT test. I wait till 2 weeks of my score! ;) Then Gallaudet will tell me "Accept" as soon. I let you know. :)

I have 5 times dream come true! How? My friend encourage me. God want me go Gallaudet University. I never thought of what I want. But God want me go! Because I will be graduation! Wow! Yes I saw that my dream come true about graduate!

I keep let you know. ;)

Hmph. I've always had bad experiences at Gallaudet from the beginning. The first time I went to Gallaudet for their open house with my mom. (I am considered to be oral deaf). So when we went there to tour the campus, we were split up into groups to tour different class rooms so we decided to try out Sociology. So when mom and I were in that class room, the teacher starts signing and there was no voice interpreter there (my mom doesn't know sign language) so it was frustrating and a lot of the parents were like ummm? what is going on here? this is so stupid. So finally, the teacher stops signing because she notices a lot of angry parents, she starts talking!!!! She said, I am hearing but I decided to turn off my voice because I want the deaf students to have more equality, not to hear sound together. That made me SO angry that me and mom got up and left the class room. That was my first experience at Gallaudet, so ever since I didn't want to go there because of that. I chose RIT instead.

My second experience at Gallaudet was when I went to their homecoming weekend during the protest last year. (I have a friend that goes to Gallaudet, so I was visiting her as well). The whole time when I was there, my friend would introduce me to her friends and she would say that I'm from RIT. They looked at me funny and just said, oh then stopped talking to me. It was SO rude. After my two experiences, I vowed not to go back to Gallaudet ever. It was such a horrible experience.

However, my experience at RIT has been great because I feel more united with different kinds of people (hearing, oral, deaf, etc) rather than one group (deaf only). I think everyone is different and has different needs. RIT was just the perfect school for me same as Gallaudet would be the perfect school for some people. By the way, congratulations x10oT for getting accepted to Gallaudet, I hope it goes great for you.

That's just my opinion. I just thought to share that with you guys. :)

I warning do not say Hmph! One thing that you forgot something for you!

You forgot to ask for interpreter that your mom need? That why Gallaudet University have interpreter if you need some.

hi nutmeg,

I'm not here to talk trash either but my experience with gallaushit (no offense friends) just last weekend was, unfortunately, very unwelcoming. and what's sad part? I am profoundly deaf. born deaf. and my first time stepping in on their campus. anyway, we are filing a complaint against gally as well.

I would recommend you RIT/NTID, great people, especially faculty there - due to unity of diversion. we welcome and love everyone.

You're filing a complaint against Gally? Damn that sucks. I wish there was a way to make it more moderate. I mean you can kinda undy WHY a lot of Deafie seperatists are the way they are........Some of the Oral (as in AG Bell Oral, NOT orally skilled) can be so beyond arrgonent about how they're better educated, have more access to the hearing world, or look down on Sign as something "speshal needs." It's really ironic......I mean blind and low vision people don't look down at blind people who use Braille or mobilty canes. Wheelies don't look down on special equiptment (oh except for dumbass wheelies who haven't accepted their disabilty as just a difference)
I know we have some members from Gally here. Maybe we could encourage them to be more welcoming to orally skilled people, so we could change the campus culture. Who knows? Maybe there might be orally skilled kids who would LOVE to learn sign etc, but are scared shitless b/c of all the stories of militants on campus. I know that Gally's summer programs for teens have a program for oral kids learning Sign.....but we really do need to help make the campus welcoming to everyone!

Congralutation to you! I will see you this Fall! I finish my ACT test. I wait till 2 weeks of my score! ;) Then Gallaudet will tell me "Accept" as soon. I let you know. :)

I have 5 times dream come true! How? My friend encourage me. God want me go Gallaudet University. I never thought of what I want. But God want me go! Because I will be graduation! Wow! Yes I saw that my dream come true about graduate!

I keep let you know. ;)

:applause::applause: Congrats !! Go for it !

hi nutmeg,

I'm not here to talk trash either but my experience with gallaushit (no offense friends) just last weekend was, unfortunately, very unwelcoming. and what's sad part? I am profoundly deaf. born deaf. and my first time stepping in on their campus. anyway, we are filing a complaint against gally as well.

I would recommend you RIT/NTID, great people, especially faculty there - due to unity of diversion. we welcome and love everyone.

I do not understand why they unwelcome you. Did you graduate from Deaf School? I notice, Gally students reject the students who graduated from the mainstream school or interract with oral people. I am not sure why they reject them?

Some of my friends who went to mainstream school, their signs are ASL proficiently. So what !

I wish there was a way to make it more moderate.
The interesting thing is, and this is my perspective as a Gally alumni. I think Gallaudet today is much more accommodating and inclusive environment for students who may not come from a traditional background. (i.e., Deaf family/Deaf school) This is because I attended Gally during the late 1980's, and believe you me, the general attitude then was bordering on 'xenophobic'.

Still, it is discouraging to see an 'unfriendly' climate at Gallaudet, when it truly needs to be more inclusive and accommodating. However, I remain optimistic that Gallaudet is already in its way in becoming a much more diverse and inclusive university, accommodating hundreds of students with a wide range of hearing abilities, socioeconomic backgrounds, sign language skills, etc.

hi nutmeg,

There is nothing that you can do for Gallaudet University. Sorry! Gallaudet University work on and how to grow and become more friendly. I believe they are very nice! I see they are no problem.

I do not understand why they unwelcome you. Did you graduate from Deaf School? I notice, Gally students reject the students who graduated from the mainstream school or interract with oral people. I am not sure why they reject them?

Some of my friends who went to mainstream school, their signs are ASL proficiently. So what !

I agree with that. Kalista and I are friend! :D One thing that we have essay. Gallaudet University to know how we are friend. We are good friend and real nicely! I experience about deaf world and many different. I want to learn and help them.

I was rejected by a lot of Deaf students during my first semester at Gallaudet simply because I grew up oral. However, I knew there had to be other students like me and sure enough I did meet them and all was well.

I was rejected by some hearing students at ASU so I think it happens everywhere.

folks folks, we weren't talking specifically about students; we already anticipated that. it was the faculty who mistreated us. this is unacceptable at anytime and anywhere. period.

regardless where we came from or what experiences/culture/communities/school we came from - 'judged by the cover' is exactly what we're talking about here. no one should be discriminated in any shape or form like we were.

I'm sorry about your unaccept for Gallaudet University. I have no choice for you. You have to understand why the "unacceptable" show you.

I am very postive attitude and write good essay. Gallaudet Admission has one more to go for my ACT test first. Then Gallaudet will accept me. :D I hope!

What do you mean weekend. Explain to me. :) I understand that you not mean. :)

Back