My experience at Gallaudet University in '99

zeroality

Reaction score
I arrived at Gallaudet University in the Fall of 1999. I was just impressed and taken aback by the sea of moving hands. I had never seen so many deaf people in one place.

That impression didn't last. I quickly came to see what Gallaudet University really was.

Basically, you can divide Gallaudet University into just a few groups and roughly classify everyone in these groups. You have:

• Kids who have been sheltered all of their high school years in deaf institutes suddenly getting a taste of freedom. Most of them use this freedom to party their hearts out and sample every drug known to man. I would say a good 40% of every Freshman class falls into this category and a huge margin of them tend to flunk out. Like me (more on that later).
  • The frats/sororities. There are some cool guys/girls here but mostly they are just a bunch of arrogant elitists who think they own the campus (read: Kappa Gamma).
  • The outcasts. Mostly gays/lesbians who were too afraid to come out of the closet in high school. Also throw in a few nerds and stuff.

That pretty much sums it up really. So back to where I was, I would say that my being impressed with Gallaudet University started to end when I stepped into the cafeteria.

This is a $2,000 meal plan that I was FORCED to take, since I was living on campus so I expected some pretty good food!

No. Instead you get mice running around, an asshole manager and a roommate shitting out a tapeworm. I entered Gallaudet University at 300 pounds and came out about 220 without even trying to lose weight. And I was smoking weed almost nonstop - so in theory, I should have ate more. That's how shitty the food was. I don't know if it still is but I wouldn't bet on 5 star restaurant quality anytime soon.

Then shortly before NSO ended, my body decided to get an ear infection for the first time in years (and haven't had one since, knock on wood). So rather than endure the extreme pain, I decided that it might be a good idea to visit the on-campus health center!

No. It wasn't. I was forced to sit in the waiting room WHEN THERE WERE NO OTHER PATIENTS for over 3 hours for them to give me an asprin and say that it will clear up in a few days.

Wow, real helpful there. You didn't even bother to put medicinal drops in my ears or anything. Thanks! Another thing about SHS (if it's still called that) - they asked my roommate to keep quiet about the tapeworm. Yeah, they care!

I'd rather get health care in Beruit.

Hey, let's not forget Alf across the hall - who partied in his room every single day of NSO and finally got thrown out of Gallaudet on his third alcohol offense before classes even started. Wow, I was in good company here.

Speaking of NSO, you can learn more by reading the lines on a roll of toilet paper. If you do actually go to Gallaudet, skip NSO. Don't waste your time - even if they threaten to lower your grade in FYS or whatever. Call their bluff, and even if they do - it was well worth the points you lost, trust me.

Hey, there's another thing. FYS! Here's a class that goes on museum field trips around Washington DC and assigns 'busywork' and this actually counts as college credit? Come on, we're not in third grade anymore. Seriously...

But wait, I was in Honors English and Honors Lit. That should be interesting at least! After all, the Honors program is meant to be more challenging right?

Well, I quickly found out that it WAS more challenging - but not in the way that I thought. They just BURY you in work and it's not really that thought-provoking.

The English prof was pretty cool (Pancost) but the papers he had us write were stuff that I did in Freshman English. I finished it off with a 6 page essay on marijuana. Pretty fitting.

OK, well - not all is lost. There's still Honors Literature. I don't know if this is still the case but I got some professor who was seemingly competely oblivious to the fact that us students had other classes in which we had to do work for.

She assigned a new (mostly boring) book practically every 5 or 6 days, I don't remember exactly. There was even a rumor that the head of the Honors department actually asked her to CUT DOWN her reading list before the semester started and it was still a hefty list of 8 or 9 thick books which she expected you to write essays for and the such.

Two students were actually thrown out of Gallaudet for buying their term papers online, which they did because the work was just too much.

At least I had Physics on my schedule. Actually, 'Physics for the Non Scientist' - which basically translates to 8th grade physical science - so I had something easy on my schedule, I suppose. Thanks for wasting my money and time on that one, GU!

Math wasn't as kind to me though. I got some 80 year old professor who I could BARELY understand and math happens to be my weakest subject so that didn't go very well at all.

Some time into the semester, I just resigned myself to skipping most classes and showing up on test dates. I learned more by wandering the streets of Washington DC in one night than I did in a month of schoolwork.

This is getting quite lengthy and I could go on for another 10 paragraphs but I'll stop now and sum it up with this:

Gallaudet University is the best place in the world if you are a deaf person looking for a social life. If you are a decently intelligent individual looking for a serious education and a degree which will get you taken seriously in the 'real world' - spare yourself and your family (and VR) the expense. Don't go to Gallaudet University.

At the very least, go to RIT but regular colleges with interpreters really work just fine and you get the satisfication of knowing that you got a degree that isn't plastered with "HEY I GOT THIS FROM A DEAF UNIVERSITY". Not necessarily bad but might cost you jobs in the real world. They'd never say that was the reason, of course.

At least you'll eat well and healthy, hopefully receive adequate medical services and a decent education that will serve you well. I realize there are probably many 'die-hard' Gallaudet'ers here and this thread is probably going to make me unpopular with that crowd but I wanted to post my experience.

Also note that this was my own personal experience. Some have described Gallaudet University as some sort of Utopia. That may be the case for you but be aware that it may not - and isn't for roughly 40% of the freshman class every single year.

I have met Gallaudet graduates who are on a 8th grade writing level. I know this is because of ASL but how in the hell do you graduate college with a 8th grade writing level? Oh yeah, Gallaudet University!

"I have met Gallaudet graduates who are on a 8th grade writing level. I know this is because of ASL but how in the hell do you graduate college with a 8th grade writing level? Oh yeah, Gallaudet University!" and anothers. How pity!

I am part time student in college and like to stay here so can push my level better. It is silly to meet Galluadet graduates. Oh well. Maybe some of them are better than 8th grade you never know?

WOW. zeroality I went to Gallaudet during the SUMMER of '99... We obviously did NOT [or maybe we did] cross paths..........

When I was 12 years old and going to Alexander Graham Bell Montessori, I heard of Gallaudet and from that day on, tunnel vision set in. I wanted Gallaudet. Mind you, when I got to AGBMS, I could barely comprehend reading and couldn’t for the life of me, organize my thoughts on paper. Thankfully at that school, my skills in English and math improved tremendously.

So, I arrive to the school I had my heart set on and my first semester at Gallaudet doesn’t go as hoped. My English class was not at ALL challenging. I received an EASY “A” because I could not get out of 090. Something was obviously amiss with the placement test. Maybe I heard this wrong but I was apparently a few points off from Honors but for reading competency, I wasn’t good enough.

I poorly underestimated Gallaudet, I wanted to be challenged academically; I expected to be challenged. I wasn’t – not even a little, especially in English.

In math, I remember the placement tests results giving me the options of 012 and 013. I signed up for 012, ended up in 013, went to 012 and by semesters end was in 011. Did I pass? You do that math because I sure as hell didn’t.

The other thing is, Gallaudet hides the awful truth that there is no required level of ASL fluency for faculty and staff. Guess what? My first four semesters attending the University, the first mental note in EVERY CLASS was the professors’ POOR ability to sign fluently.

Honestly, it was half and half. Two professors could sign exceptionally well, the other two; you fall asleep in class. It was pathetic and unacceptable. My motivation to go to classes went straight down the toilet. My English professors – one was deaf, three were hearing. The one deaf and hearing professor could communicate and respond beautifully. There was one that COULD NOT SIGN to save his life. The poor guy was a nice one, just was unable to sign. The third guy really tried his best which I give my props to but at the same time I’m only one student in the class as opposed to the other 20 or so students who would struggle.

The same goes for math only the ones that couldn’t sign, didn’t try to be a nice person or show good character. They didn’t acknowledge their limitations to teaching at a deaf university.

When I first heard about the protests, its main point was about Jane was her lack of deafness. OK, back up because as proud as we are to have gotten a deaf president in 1988, was NOT born Deaf. I find it kind of hypocritical to see a man so honored as our University President that his signing skills… Not that great.

Why is there the saying “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks” when it is obviously not true?

Granted, I was 14 when I started signing and I’ve received plenty of criticism from State school deaf students, and Gally students. It’s so disheartening with the looks I’ve gotten of either confusion or dislike towards how I sign. But when I stop thinking about my ability to sign, which is very fluent if we go on to compare to.. Say the university president, the point is, it’s the thinking about it too much that makes the rest of this paragraph very difficult to finish.

I can’t just let it go. Jordan’s lack of signing and DEFINITELY NOT his deafness is the reason behind these protests. Its Jane and apparently, still bringing up HER deafness as a reason for begging her to back down…

It’s the academics, as I know a LOT of us has mentioned that NEED TO BE CHANGED. I wish the focus of the protest would change to force Jane to change their rules and regulations of allowing new students to attend the university. Stop the hypocrisy!

I may not have worked in the tutoring department but I did help several other classmates during my semesters there. It baffles me beyond belief how poor the writing skills were. It’s painful. Some people I know from Gallaudet, still don’t have the greatest writing skills, or their spelling and grammar is atrocious.

Zero and Photo

Oh boy, I could not help to laugh when I read your stories at Gally. I can imagine how much you were frustrated and overwhelmed. Obviously, you had a good experience go through with their environment.

Thanks for the sharing the story with us. Some people had a good and bad what they went through their experience at the college.

Oh yeah I can believe these stories. I haven't forgotten my history professor at Gally.

It’s the academics, as I know a LOT of us has mentioned that NEED TO BE CHANGED. I wish the focus of the protest would change to force Jane to change their rules and regulations of allowing new students to attend the university. Stop the hypocrisy!

I may not have worked in the tutoring department but I did help several other classmates during my semesters there. It baffles me beyond belief how poor the writing skills were. It’s painful. Some people I know from Gallaudet, still don’t have the greatest writing skills, or their spelling and grammar is atrocious.

Amen! The entire Deaf education system needs to be reformed. It's not just Gally academics that needs to be reformed. Also, we need teachers who can commicate with us. No more profs who barely know sign.

I've good essay writing skills but my punctuation and spelling suck and I need to work on that. Aslo I really should not keep making so many subject verb errors.

I assume both of you enrolled Gally for a BA degree??

I heard that MA programs are way different from undergraduate.

Ive heard tons of stuff about Gally over the years...never attended it myself tho. Back in the day when Gally U. was Gally College, Ive heard that it takes up to 6th grade level to get into that school which I thought was pretty sad.

Ive met several deaf students who transferred from Gally to CSUN during my time there and I asked them why come to CSUN? They all told me that education at Gally sucks and it was equal to high school level...one told me that their biology books were the same one she had in high school. And, yes, Gally is the ultimate party school in the deaf world...its great for social life but undergraduate school sucks.

Yes, its true that MA degree programs at Gally is much better than BA programs.

I entered Gally NWC 1987. One thing that my english hadnt improve when I enrolled. I thought they would help with my english turn out it wasnt. The teacher were asking us to write "the story" of our family or what did we do during summer time etc. Also had the journal. None that help me to improve my english. When I took the test before semester end. I almost made it to english 50 but failed. I had to take english again with same teacher. I wasnt happy with the education. I left. I enrolled community college, they helped me to understand my grammer. I improved alot. I realized that Gally wasnt for me, so was NTID. too sad abt them.

I went to Gally for grad school and I felt it was pretty challenging. I dont know about the undergrad programs as I went to a state univerisity but I have heard the stories from my brother who went to Gally as an undergrad and it seemed like stories from high school.

Back