My "Epoq" Journey

Etoile

Reaction score
*deep breath*

I have an appointment with the hearing aid people on Wednesday. The place I am buying it from says I have to go see their people instead of the Gallaudet clinic...fine, I can handle that, it's a pretty convenient location and I have all my records already.

I said that I wanted a pair of the Oticon Epoq W aids, with the Streamer (bluetooth function). Epoq W is $2500 per HA, Epoq XW is $2700 per HA. Streamer is $250.

The primary difference between the two - as far as I can tell, based on what they told me over the phone - is directionality. With the XW, if you have two aids, they work as a unit and provide better "spatial sound" so you can identify better where something is coming from. I don't think the W has this feature at all, so I am considering getting only one Epoq W rather than two...I am paying out of pocket so money has to be balanced with need. If I can get enough benefit from just one HA, then I will just get one. If it turns out I really need two, I will get two. And if I do that, I probably will get the XW after all, so they can work together. Minimum cost: $2500 (one W only). Maximum cost: $5650 (two XW's and the Streamer).

Now I have to decide if I want ITC or BTE. I have been thinking BTE all along, because I really don't care if people see if I have HA's. I always felt like ITC was for people who are embarrassed about their hearing loss, but I was looking at the brochure on the ITC's and it might not be a bad thing. I think the cost is the same. I don't want ITE at all because I have ear piercings that would interfere...plus I don't like the way they look! I either want it there (BTE) or not there (ITC) rather than in the middle (ITE).

If I get the BTE, I think I am going to get the RITE (Receiver-in-the-Ear) version rather than the standard one. Not because it is less visible, but because it is an open-fit style and I have heard that it will allow more natural sound through. So at the frequencies where my hearing loss is mild, I can get natural sound, and at the frequencies where it is severe, I can get it through the HA.

I cried pretty much all afternoon and evening today because of VR not being able to help pay for them. My mom and my partner are both willing to pay for them, but I don't want to have to rely on them...I don't really have a choice though. I also encountered a really nasty person, who I thought was my friend, who didn't understand why I was upset, and decided to kick me while I was down. Oh well, I forgive him, though I think he's still annoyed with me. Even my partner was a little suspicious of whether I really need them or not...it seems that the only people who understand why I need HA's are other interpreters. Is it so hard to understand that the coping strategies I use on a daily basis are not allowed when I'm interpreting? I can't ask people to repeat themselves every five seconds when I'm working! I need to hear it right the first time. Anyway, whatever.

So I'm going for the Epoq's. I'm excited and scared at the same time. I don't know what sound will sound like through HA's. I get a 45-day trial period, and I am supposed to wear them everywhere - to the movies, at happy hour, watching TV, chatting with friends, everything. He said "put them through a crash test" during the trial. So we'll see if they help...the promo literature from Oticon sure makes them sound awesome. "You don't have to work so hard to listen, so you'll be less tired!" I hope it works.

Okay, I'm really scared. Really excited, and really scared.

You may have more options in terms of programming and maintenance and whatnot with a BTE than an ITC. Just a thought - something to discuss with your audi!

You're in an interesting position of having had normal hearing most of your life; I imagine that could make getting hearing aids a bit of a transition. I've been fairly curious myself lately about what that would be like - the CI I have now is fantastic, and I wore hearing aids before that, but I really have no memory that tells me what the difference is between this and normal hearing. :hmm:

In any event - good luck! And be sure to post pics when you have your aids!

I prefer the BTEs ... I have no issues with them being visable - actually in some cases they're less visable!

They also tend to have a longer battery life, and you can use them with boots etc which is cool !! ( I can plug directly into my CD/MP3 player)

The one piece of advice I would give ... don't "settle" for the first thing you try ... keep a journal about how things sound for each HA you try - I wish I had tried more HAs and just not "settled" for the first one.

My phonak is CROS compatible - it's just a programming thing ... I was considering trying BiCROS for a bit ... but changed my mind ... I would have gone with 2 BTEs if possible though just for "balance".

My current BTE is about 5 years old, and I'm considering getting something newer in the next year or so ... but as with you it'll be "out of pocket" - I guess the one advantage you might have is if you're working as a Terp , you can right it off on your taxes as a business expense maybe??? after all hearing is critical for your employment.

Let us know how it goes !!!

I got my $1,500 digital hearing aid for $300 at NTID. ;)

Thank you Anij, I didn't think of that! Yes, this will probably be tax-deductible, either as a medical expense or a business expense!

Vampy, wanna go buy some Epoqs for me? Just tell 'em it's for you, they'll go for it I'm sure! ;)

Well, the order has been placed! I am getting two Epoq XW's with the streamer. Total cost is $5650. I ordered them in "beige silver" and I got the open fit kind. I was surprised that the open fit tube is fixed, I thought it would be flexible. I guess this makes it easier to put on. The audiologist said mine should be here in 3-5 days so I will be picking them up next week.

I got to try on a demo pair and they were pretty cool. He said the amplification wasn't much on the demo pair but I could tell it sounded very natural. :)

My partner told me I should check with Costco and see how much the HA's cost there. They were telling me they are only $1600 each and I was like, WHAT??? Then it turned out we were both confused...they only sell three brands of HA and I never heard of any of them! He was talking about some other open-fit HA, not the Epoq. So I'm still getting them from the same place where I ordered them. I hope they come soon, I just had to interpret in a situation where I couldn't hear well and it is exhausting trying to interpret that way! Your brain works like 3x harder just to listen...and then you still have to interpret!

Allow me to describe, in six words, how I am feeling right now.

I can hear my wife again.

I am so, so, SO happy. I never needed hearing aids until 18 months ago, and until 6 months ago I never considered getting them. But now that I have them I realize what I have been missing for 18 months!!

It has seriously made me so happy. Everything about my life feels better. My wife, the birds, the cat playing with her food dish, people coming up the stairs, people coming down the hall, people talking in another room, the radio at a normal volume, TV at a normal volume...I can hear all these things now! In fact, the other day it was my WIFE who asked if she could turn up the TV volume! I was hearing it just fine...I didn't realize it was too low!

I had been questioning whether hearing aids would really help me, since one of the audiologists here at Gallaudet told me they wouldn't. So I didn't know if they would help, and if they did I didn't know if they'd be worth so much money, but now...they are TOTALLY worth it and I wouldn't give them up for the world!! It's incredible. :)

I e-mailed the audie who told me HA's wouldn't help. We'll see what she says. :D

The Streamer is great! I assume it's similar to a Bluetooth neckloop setup but I've never used that so I can't compare. Also, I don't THINK you need to be wearing the Streamer around your neck to use it, like you have to with a neckloop. It comes with both a "necklace" and a belt clip attachment, so I assume you can do it either way, or leave it in your pocket, etc.

I have used it both for listening to music and talking on the cell phone, and it's great for either one. The sound is very good from what I can tell.

LOL let us know what was the reaction :D
Well, she said "audiology and hearing aids are not an exact science!" She seemed to indicate that the research claims I should not be getting any benefit, but since I am, the studies must be wrong. The best part is she says she will "keep a more open mind" about people with losses like mine, and she will offer them the option since I was able to show a good result.

I don't know about studies...I just know what works for me. It doesn't mean the studies are wrong, it just means that maybe I am different. Or maybe the studies are so old, that they don't consider new technology like the Epoq. But like she says, it is impossible to predict what will help somebody. I knew I was going "against recommendations" when I got my HA's but I just wanted to try and see if they helped. And they did! So the end result is...don't believe everything the doctors tell you. Do your own research if you want. It worked for me!

Today my audie adjusted to make loud sounds not amplified as much. The goal is to make it so it's not so loud when I'm driving. I think it worked...have only driven once since then so I'm not sure.

I am testing the Epoq with streamer. When on my cell phone i have to hold the streamer to my mouth which is not as hands free as I hoped when driving. When i let it fall around my neck people say I sound like I am in a well. Any one else having this issue? I am also looking into getting a bluetooth adaptable device for my work land line. Does anyone know of a better mic option when using this hearing aid and a bluetooth device? I am on the phone for work all day and having to hold the streamer to my mouth take notes and type while on a call can be difficult.

I am testing the Epoq with streamer. When on my cell phone i have to hold the streamer to my mouth which is not as hands free as I hoped when driving. When i let it fall around my neck people say I sound like I am in a well. Any one else having this issue? I am also looking into getting a bluetooth adaptable device for my work land line. Does anyone know of a better mic option when using this hearing aid and a bluetooth device? I am on the phone for work all day and having to hold the streamer to my mouth take notes and type while on a call can be difficult.
There is no microphone in the Streamer, holding it to your mouth won't do anything! It uses the microphone in the hearing aids. I am able to have the Streamer around my neck or in my pocket, and my phone in the other pocket, and have a conversation just fine. Did you get the Streamer manual when you bought it? It should explain how to use it. There's no microphone in the Streamer. :)

Steamer Mic

hmm. well mine does have a microphone at the top of the streamer and is indicated as such in the manual.

The audio signal is picked up by the Streamer, and streamed directly into the Epoq instruments...
The Streamer’s microphone does not pick up your voice clearly: Talk straight into the microphone, keep 10-40 cm (2.5 – 16 inches) distance from your mouth. Be careful not to let the Streamer rub against clothes or other material during calls.

I'll be darned, page 29 in the manual, you are right. I forget where I heard that it was the HA microphones that did it. I know I saw it somewhere! I have never had a problem with people telling me they can't hear me though, and I usually wear it hanging around my neck tucked inside my shirt. (Feels kind of like an old body-worn hearing aid must have felt!) Thanks for enlightening me, colied. Guess I will make sure not to leave the Streamer in my purse and expect to have a 2-way phone call!

My suggestion for you would be to use the belt clip attachment (instead of the neck cord) and clip it to your shirt collar. That should bring it up pretty close to your mouth and make it hands-free for you. It's worth a try!

I do wish the Streamer battery life was better. It has to be charged pretty much every night. Considering that it supposedly takes very little power to run, they must have put a VERY little battery in there!

Back