My dog only has two teeth

katie2d

Reaction score
My old dog just had most of his teeth pulled and can't eat anything hard. Does anyone have a recipe for homemade dog biscuits that are soft? He's almost 16 years old and I want to make the rest of his life as easy and pleasant as possible. He had a pretty bad life before I got him 6 years ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Sad to hear your dog's time is coming. Why did he get his teeth pulled if I may ask?

I used to feed my old dog a mixture of rice porridge and mashed chicken bits, from the roasted chicken you get at the food section in costco. She chowed that stuff down to the last bite.

You can start feeding him soft food or canned food?

Hamburger and rice is always a good idea. I got that idea from my vet. Your dog will still get a lot of nutrients from the hamburger, and hamburger and rice is very easy on the stomach especially for a senior dog. Make quick-minute rice like usual, and brown hamburger as if you were going to use it in a casserole or sloppy joes. Drain all the fat, dump it all into a strainer and rinse it out thoroughly with water so all the grease is gone. Mix the hamburger and rice together - 1 lb hamburger and a cup or two of rice is enough to last for several days and my dog LOVED the stuff. It's a nice treat without it being hard to chew on at all nor does it taste like regular dog food.

You can start feeding him soft food or canned food?

Canned foods itself usual gives dog diarrhea. But, I would suggested to add some dry dog food with canned food, and add little warm water into it to make it softer and it'll be easier for your dog to chew. That's what I normally do when my dog was a puppy. ;)

Thank you all so much for your help. He will surely appreciate it. I got him almost 6 years ago from some druggies. They kept him outside. If I remember correctly they clipped his hair about a year before they gave him to me and when they did, they clipped his ear and never got it fixed. He also had a broken leg at some point, long before I got him, and they never had it set. When I first got him, his teeth were all brown. I worked on them for years and he was ok. Then about two weeks ago I noticed that he couldn't eat a small Milkbone. I took him to the vet and they said he has a heart murmur and his teeth were very bad. When they took them out, they said that some were held in by the plaque and maybe one root. He is enjoying being spoiled now. I think I have pictures of him on my profile page. He is a spunky little guy that is for sure. Also, because of the exposure to the drugs I believe, he always goes in circles to the left.

Back