My dog might have medial patella luxation

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
He's a maltese and about a year and 3 months old now. Two weeks ago I noticed him limping on and off, especially right after he wakes up. I thought it was something minor and that it'll go away soon. Well, earlier today I got a little worried so I took him to the local vet, and l find out that he might have medial patella luxation -- kneecap problems. :(

The vet also added that it was present early in his life, possibly at birth. The only way to fix this is through surgery. I feel bad for him.

I was wondering if anyone had a dog with similar problems before, and how they managed to deal with this. Isn't there like a puppy lemon law? I don't want to give my dog back or anything, but if the breeder knew about this shouldn't he help pay for my dog's surgery?

Medial Patella Luxation
medialpatellaluxation.gif

Juelz, my maltese dog
juelz.jpg

Off to do some research online now.

Well, my dog had a medical condition related to this a few years ago. Yes, we had to put her through a surgery and I'm glad to say that she is doing just fine now.

Now, I imagine there probably aren't any laws that would help you out. The best thing to do now is to help your dog out and worry about the breeder later.

aww alex i'm sorry to hear about that!!! i don't know abt the puppy laws info but i can tell u this u took that dog into your home with alot of love and tenderness and that deffy takes the cake, as for the surgery do u have the pet insurance ??? they usually will cover the sugery..... good luck on ur research yr little tyke is so cute the way he looks at the camrea shows hes a camrea ham! same with my lilo! heh good luck alex :)

Hello Banjo, thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear your dog is doing fine now. :)

That's exactly what I'm going to do now, get my dog all the help he needs. I have another meeting with the vet tomorrow to set up some medical appointments for my dog.

i am very sowwy to hear that.. i hope that ur baby dog will getting better soon!!! :hug:

Hello, Javapride. To answer your question, no, I do not have any type of insurance for my dog. And thank you for the nice comments.

By the way, I have a second maltese and her name is Princess. LOL She's a few months old.

Here she is...
princess.jpg

TweetyBird said:
i am very sowwy to hear that.. i hope that ur baby dog will getting better soon!!! :hug:
I don't think he's a baby anymore, but THANKS! :)

Awww how cute Princess is! I'm sorry about other maltese (dunno what's his name :) )...I hope he can be allright after he have surgery.

Keep us update!

Alex said:
Hello, Javapride. To answer your question, no, I do not have any type of insurance for my dog. And thank you for the nice comments.

By the way, I have a second maltese and her name is Princess. LOL She's a few months old.

Here she is...

javapride said:
go to www.petinsurance.com they have good planning coverage this will reduce your problems of high bills :) and princess is a DARLING :) heh :)

It's probably too late because the dog already has been diagnosed. But Alex could check it out to see if he can get something out of it.

good even tho he shld be covered anyhow both dogs shld be protected one way or the other
and if he has to pay a dectiuble it ll help him out in every way not stressing on the cost
thats my thought

Alex,
I recommend you try contact your breeder as far your concern costly expense your medical vet cost. And to see if your breeder willing pay you half the price which you bought your puppy and seek for Excellence health expecting but unexpected your puppy in't health due limping. Hopefully will works it out w/your breeder where you puchused.
I know you love your puppy very much as far already bonded..

I do coverage petinsurance for my bulldogs reason "Breeder".

FlyFree and I will pray to have your dog to get better... by the way about the insurance, you will have to make sure with vet if they accpet insurances, i know some vets don't accpet it would have to use thier insurance, i heard somewhere it's much cheap to get insurance from the vet office than getting pet insurance online.

I used to work at a veterinary clinic for eight years. I also had a labrador at the time, his name was "Homer."

He ended up tearing the ligaments that cross over the knee, the right rear, if I remember correctly. The advice that I was given by one of the doctors where I worked was to try (ha, ha) and keep him from running, or jumping, or any such activity for one month. If that did not work and the ligaments did not heal, he would have to have surgery.

I had no problems keeping him subdued in the house, it was only outside that I had to worry about him, we had a fenced back yard and so usually just let him out on his own for his potty breaks. I had to put him on a cable around a tree for the entire month whenever he went out for his potty breaks. He hated it.

However, keeping him subdued did work, and surgery was not necessary. I realize that each case is different, and hope that yours will work out for the best of everyone.

Here is one website that may help, but it might be information that you already know.

http://www.workingdogs.com/vcpatlux.htm

Hi Alex.. sorry to hear about Juelz. He looks just like my little guy, Buddy. You have to love those little maltese, they look like puppies forever!
My dad's dog had medial patella luxation, and had surgery 2 years ago. The surgery went fine,with no problems. However.. a strong word of caution.. do not let your dog decide that he/she is recovered, before the vet tells you so. Our vet's specific instructions.. 6 weeks, no stairs, no jumping..minimal walking. Maggie was to be kept kenneled for the first 2 weeks to restrict all movement. My dad and Maggie, decided that she was feeling fine and she would walk and have freedom! My dad was proud of how quickly Maggie recovered and bounded back. WRONG.. Maggie had to have the surgery again 6 weeks later, as she undid the entire procedure by the excessive movement.
Second surgery.. she was kept kenneled and the vets instructions were followed.. she's doing great! NO further problems. She is now happy, active and no limping.
My dad did have pet insurance, luckily and the entire procedure (x2) cost him 50 bucks. How lucky! Any sort of pet issues are costly these days.
As far as your question about puppy lemon law.. I'm pretty sure you'll be out of luck. I'm not sure if its a hereditary/genetic disorder, but if you know the breeder, I would definitely contact them to let them know.Good luck with it all,we'll have our fingers crossed for Juelz. Buddy and Brandi send tail wags and doggie kisses to Juelz and Princess (who is quite the cutie!)

Hope everything works out for the best for you and your dog.. your dogs are soo cute! I agree with Banjo just to take care of your dog first and take care of the breeder later. the breeder may not be aware of it since you've had it over a year now. you might not be able to get any help from the breeder but most importantly is take care of that dog of yours. You'll feel thankful to have that done. Good luck and let me know how it went.

Sorry to hear what had happen to Juelz, trust he will pull through.

Several years ago, I bought a German Shepherd dog from the breeder, and I put her to sleep because she had hip displexia (sp?) as I never thought its breeder's responsible for my dog's health afterwards? I thought once the pup is sold, its my responsible not theirs?

We have a dog who's nine. When he was a year and a half, we discovered he had a significant hole in his heart, and would require surgery. They vet said to us that even with surgical intervention, there was no gaurantee there would be a good outcome for the dog, so we told the vet we'd think about it, which we did. In doing our research, we also talked to the breeder. It was decided that we would not put the dog through surgery, but opt for medication and hope for the best.

When we discussed things with the breeder, she told us she would either pay for the dog's surgery, or give us a replacement puppy. We opted for the latter. Thankfully, we have a happy ending. The dog has done well on meds, and is now happy and playful, and the "replacement puppy", is now almost 7 and a real loveable dog.

My advice to you is this: Talk to the breeder, and see if that person won't pay for the surgery. Alot of times, these conditions are inbred, and therefore, some of the responsibility lies with the breeder. I agree that the health of the dog comes first, but you shouldn't have to pay to correct a condition that was not disclosed to you by the breeder at the time of purchase.

I do have pet insurance for my dogs. If anything happen to my dogs, like surgeries, labs, or tests, I am not paying for all, but I am glad I have pet insurance, and I only pay 50 dollars co-pay dedecutible, and pet insurance will pay 80%, jus tlike health insurance you have from job.

My oldest dog Copper have artitrisis in both back legs, and he is on medications. He is 8 years old.

Back