My daughter wants to come home.

This is a problem I have never had to deal with and I applaud your bravery with the situation. I know this thread is about how to handle the situation with your daughter wanting to come home from school but there was something else that caught my attention. You mentioned her brother, sister and father and that there is a growing gap. Don't over look this. I think this is just as important. You don't want to have your family divided. There is enough going on without this added problem. I hope that everyone in the family discusses what is happening so the other kids understand and find ways that they can become more involved with their sister. Do her brother and sister sign?

Good News

This is a problem I have never had to deal with and I applaud your bravery with the situation. I know this thread is about how to handle the situation with your daughter wanting to come home from school but there was something else that caught my attention. You mentioned her brother, sister and father and that there is a growing gap. Don't over look this. I think this is just as important. You don't want to have your family divided. There is enough going on without this added problem. I hope that everyone in the family discusses what is happening so the other kids understand and find ways that they can become more involved with their sister. Do her brother and sister sign?

Thank you to everyone for your advice and help. I have brought my daughter home, and she is very happy and doing VERY WELL in school also! The school was giving me a hard time with her staying with my family there at my choice. My daughter is very happy now all the time. She's in a mainstream school that has a deaf education plan, and shockingly the program has been in place for 30 years!!! No idea at all why I've never been told about it and I've asked many of times if there was something else that I could do or somewhere else I could take her to get her the help she would need. I was always told she was fine. ( That's in the mainsteam school she was in before I moved to the area of the deaf school ). The deaf school had told me they had nothing here also to help her. Seems to me there's just way too much lack of communication between school systems and school boards with providing information for kids in need of any kind of help. None of this has made any sense to me at all. But we're not going to let this die here. Something needs to be done about this, Lord only knows how many other children have been put in the same situation as me and my daughter, and this has really been unacceptable!
Thank you all again for all your help, support and advice, both for and against. It's helped me get through the times until I had this resolved.

I am very happy that things have worked out so well for you and your daughter. It is really a shame that you both had to go through this when assistance was so available, but you were not informed.

Have a great holiday with your daughter by your side!

Thank you to everyone for your advice and help. I have brought my daughter home, and she is very happy and doing VERY WELL in school also! The school was giving me a hard time with her staying with my family there at my choice. My daughter is very happy now all the time. She's in a mainstream school that has a deaf education plan, and shockingly the program has been in place for 30 years!!! No idea at all why I've never been told about it and I've asked many of times if there was something else that I could do or somewhere else I could take her to get her the help she would need. I was always told she was fine. ( That's in the mainsteam school she was in before I moved to the area of the deaf school ). The deaf school had told me they had nothing here also to help her. Seems to me there's just way too much lack of communication between school systems and school boards with providing information for kids in need of any kind of help. None of this has made any sense to me at all. But we're not going to let this die here. Something needs to be done about this, Lord only knows how many other children have been put in the same situation as me and my daughter, and this has really been unacceptable!
Thank you all again for all your help, support and advice, both for and against. It's helped me get through the times until I had this resolved.

I am glad that things are working out well.

You are right about u not being the only one in this kind of situation from lack of communication between the Deaf and locals schools.

This guy in the video is a father and he is describing his frustrations with the schools not communicating with each other. I wish this didnt happen but I work for a Deaf school and communications between my school and the county schools are not so great. I dont know who is to blame.

Aslpride: My son need a better education...

She's in a mainstream school that has a deaf education plan,
Oh you mean one of those formal programs with a lot of dhh students?
That is so good , that you found that program! I really think the gross majority of bilaterally dhh kids can significently benifit from attending a school with a formal dhh program, as opposed to total mainstream regular classes.
I really think that one way to improve deaf ed, might be to affliate the mainstream dhh programs with the school for the deaf. Like the school for the deaf, could provide testing, and services, and things like that to the off campus programs. The kids could go to the deaf school for retreats and things like that......

I am very happy that your daughter is doing well in her new placement! Isn't it nice not to have to fight mainstream educators about the proper services for your daughter? Specialized programs rock don't they? I gotta say although regular classes regular school is painted as "least restrictive enviorment" , very often it can be such a pain to deal with the bureocracy, involved in trying to get good accomondations and programming. Those people who are "mainstream is the best!" just really have NO CLUE what they are talking about
Are there a lot of dhh kids in the program? Although she's doing well, don't forget to factor in your daughter's input as to educational placement. Keep on asking her what she likes about the program, ask her about any downsides etc.
Keep her involved at the Deaf school. Maybe she could go and visit those kids she played with, every so often. Also, Deaf schools offer summer camps/programs. Keep her involved there......when she's older (eg jr high/teen) she may want to return to dorm life. (especially since jr high and high school can be so brutal for even kids without disabilites!)

Thank you for bringing your daughter home. She is so young and needs to stay close to her family, especially her parents. Maybe when she is older, like in high school, she will be ready for residential school. She will feel more independent then. But right now she is just a little girl who needs security and needs someone to tuck her in bed at night and read her a story, and frequent hugs from her mommy.

Hey, Lucia, that's awesome that you're pro-family but also OK with residental school placement. ] I really honestly think that maybe a good idea might be for the state to reserve a bunch of houses in the city where the res school is, for families so that they can relocate there easier.
I gotta say that while most kids should wait to do the dorm thing, there are kids who should definitly take advantage of the dorm sitution. Like there are prolly kids in dangerous inner city slums, who would significently benifit from going to a res school. Not all kids are lucky enough to belong to stable families.

Ahh i remember when i was younger. I was placed in res school at 6 yrs old and stayed 2 years before my parent placed me in mainstream with deaf program at home. I remember the wednesday visits my parents would come down and visit me every wed but when it was time for them to leave i would cry and cry and cry and not want them to leave. Also the days when winters made the roads bad i would get very upset cuz my parents wouldnt come to visit. so they finally took me out of res school (i think alot of it had to do with them missing me too much lol) but not only cuz of that, has alot of other reasons too but i am not going to go into that, anyway I returned to res school at 12 for grade 7 to high school.

My daughter is very happy now all the time. She's in a mainstream school that has a deaf education plan, and shockingly the program has been in place for 30 years!!!
I know this was from awhile ago, but again it's awesome that your daughter is getting "deaf ed" even though she's "just" hoh. Far too many hoh kids are just pushed into the mainstream with the assumption that "they don't really "need" Deaf Ed stuff.
Is your daughter open about maybe returning to the Deaf School as a residental student later on? At least if she has social-emotional difficulties in jr high and high school (as a lot of dhh kids do) she'll already have some friends at the Deaf School. Don't forget....with summer coming, she could attend any summer programs or camps that the school offers.

Yeah I'd look into seeing if you could work as a houseparent or something like that. I totally understand. I really honestly don't think most little kids (except for foster kids and kids in not exactly healthy enviroments) should go off to boarding school. By little kids I mean those too young for sleepovers. How far away are you guys from the Deaf School? Has she done really well at the Deaf School? Are the Deaf programs at mainstream schools in your area kinda not great? Such a balancing act. What state are you in? Maybe we can help you with lots of resources and stuff. And..........is there any chance that your financial sitution could change, so that you'd be able to have her go to the Deaf school?

That sounds like a good idea.

Back