My culture

Ania (Poland)

Reaction score
Hi!
I’d like to find out some general information about the Deaf culture and I thought that you could help me in that matter. However, I realized that maybe it’s a bit unfair that I want to know things about your culture, but I don’t say anything about mine. That’s why I’d like to tell you something about Poland and about Poles.

So... Poland is here :)
EuropePoland.jpg

It’s next to Germany, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Kaliningrad Oblast (which is a part of Russia) and the Baltic Sea.
I think Poles are patriotic, well, most of them. We are proud of our history and the fact that even when other countires invaded us (for 123 years Poland didn’t even exist on a map of the world) we didn’t give up and we didn’t let others take away our language and culture. We’re also a bit touchy about some facts connected with WWII and more modern history. For instance, again and again somewhere in the world people say or write about ‘Polish concentration camps’, but there wasn’t such a thing. I mean they weren’t Polish. They were on the Polish land occupied by Nazi Germany, but it was the Nazi’s idea. Also, most people think that the collapse of communism in Europe started from the fall of the Berlin Wall and they forget about the Solidarity movement in Poland which began earlier. Sorry if that’s not really interesting for you, but I just felt the need to say it. :) I won’t mention history any more, I promise :)

Maybe something about geography. There are lots of beautiful places in Poland. If it comes to cities, you cannot miss Kraków (Cracow). It’s an artistic and cultural centre of Poland. It has lots of monuments and an unforgettable atmosphere. The most beautiful regions are probably the mountains (especially the Tatra Mountains and the Table Mountains) and Mazury (Masuria).
Just to give you an idea of what I’m talking about...

Morskie_Oko_xyz.jpg

rysy2.jpg

z3562883X.jpg

7883U3VSFNPJE8V5EKJ8030F.jpg

mazury.jpg

7176483_1.jpg

Most Polish people are Catholics. We are very religious (maybe not as much as we used to be, but still), and it’s not only because John Paul II was Polish J I think that we’re also kind and hospitable. Not all Poles of course. Some are a bit intolerant (maybe due to bad memories from the past that they have), but generally I think we’re not that bad :)

There are some customs and traditions that I’d like to tell you about.
We start celebrating Christmas on December 24th and it is a very important day for us. Each family has a meal together. Traditionaly there should be 12 different dishes. We don’t eat meat on that day, but we eat fish (usually carp). Before we eat, each person takes opłatek (a kind of wafer). When we all have it, we break off a piece of other people’s opłatek, wish them good things, and eat opłatek. It sometimes takes a while because everybody has to share opłatek with everyone. Then we eat, and then we give each other presents. :) Oh! And I forgot to tell you that there is a tradition that we start eating only after the first star appears in the sky. Children love that tradition and they sit by the window and watch for the star. And one more thing. When we eat, there is one spare plate one the table in case somebody who doesn’t have a place to stay on Christmas visits us.

Now, about something else. I know one person from the States (he lives in Poland and is my teacher) who once told me about a funny thing that happened to him. It was one of his first visits to Poland and he was in some office where he had to go to be given a permition to stay in Poland for a longer time. In the office there was a lady who approached him, welcomed him, and did something that confused him a lot. She reached her hand, palm down, and waited. He didn’t know what to do, so he just took the hand and shook it. Later he found out that there is a custom in Poland that when you greet a woman and you want to show respect and politeness, you kiss her hand. That must have been a very funny situation :) Now the custom is not that popular any more, but you can still see it. I experienced it myself a few times.

I guess I should also mention the nature. There are some animals which are often said to be symbols of Poland. They are żubr (wisent) and bocian (white stork).

zubry.JPG

200px-WhiteStorkFamily.jpg

Unfortunately, wisent is an endangered species, but there are a lot of storks in Poland. There are villages where they outnumber people. :)

And coming back to people... There are of course famous Poles. I’ll just mention just a few of them that are important to me. They are:
John Paul II (probably I don’t have to explain why :) )
Ryszard Kapuściński – He was a journalist and a writer. He travelled a lot especially to the developing countries in Africa, Latin America and Asia, and reported on culture and politics. His books have been translated into many languages and are quite popular around the world. His my favourite writer and I do recommend his books to you (e.g. ‘The Soccer War’)
Krzysztof Kieślowski – He was a film director especially famous for ‘The Decalogue’ and ‘Three Colours’. My favourite is ‘The Decalogue’. It’s a series of ten short films based on the Ten Commandments. You can watch it on YouTube if you want. It’s subtitled (although I’m not sure if all the parts). Just write e.g. Dekalog I - Krzysztof Kieślowski part 01/06

Apropos films, there is one more that I’d like to recomment to you. It’s a Czech-Polish-Slovak-French movie (the two main actors are Polish). The original (Czech) title is ‘Je třeba zabít Sekala’, the Polish title is ‘Zabić Sekala’ and the English title is ‘Sekal Has to Die’. I know it’s not strictly connected to the Polish culture, but I like that movie a lot and maybe you’ll like it too. :)

Right... I guess I should be finishing. If I bored you, please, forgive me :) I just thought you might want to know something about my country and my culture. Probably there are no Poles here except me.

Anyway, if you’d like to educate me a bit on Deaf culture, I’d be very grateful. Thanks for reading :)

:ty:for the information, Ania.
when I was in 6th grade, I would sometimes see one of other kids around my neighborhood, with her grandma, who was from Poland, and they speak Polish together.
Of the parts which we know<some we don't know>, I am of Russian/Romanian/Jewish decent

Thank you for the detailed information, Ania. :)

Though I am from Canada, not the States, therefore I have a different culture from the Americans.

Thank you for sharing with us here on AD. My father and his family were Polish which mean I am half Polish and rest from my mother's side goes all way back to 1700 here in America. My grandparents left Poland in 1880's and went on boat to USA and they were first group of Polish to immgrant to USA. Anyway to make long story to short, my grandfather died when my father was 2 then he was adopted by his distant Polish cousin and her husband who left Poland before world war 1. My dad took his adopted father's last name. They were very proud people from Poland. And very stubborn I would say. I remember those stories from my grandparents ( adopted one) , about Poland. Of course they were very strong Cathollic and brought Polish cuture into our llife. I remember eat fish on Christmas Eve and blood soup. Our favorite meal was sourkraut soup with polish sausage and potatoes. Of course babpka and potato pancakes. I never knew what a beautiful country you showed pictures out here. I do know my grandfather's two deaf sisters lived in Lithuana under USSR but I never learn to read or write their language when my grandfather lived with us and got their letters, I wish I could read their letters. Unfortunely when my grandfather died and family become lost. I do know my great-uncle is still alive so mean my two deaf great-aunts may still be alive. who knows.

Anyway, I am working on family tree and I need to find them in Poland to see where the name come from. I am not sure if the names were still there or lost during the war.

I married a man who also has some Polish heritage in him, his mother is Polish and so were her parents. Sad her great grandmother died during the war in Poland (she was buried alive by nazi soldiers on the side of road ).

As for deaf culture in USA, we use ASL I am sure you know. MMM Some of us went to Deaf school and lived in the dorm there. Some of us have deaf parents who use ASL and some of us have hearing family and some of them do not know ASL. But we do have VP, tty, closed captioned on TV and movies, social gatherings alike pizza night or starbuck night. Bowling night too. We also have once a year event , Deaf Day alike Disneyland or Magic Mountain. We have 50 states, I live in California and other deaf people live in different state and each of them have their own deaf culture. Of course not all of us use exactly same ASL. I can not think of anything else more. Ohhh We do have deaf Catholic church in Los Angeles, CA and we do have deaf priests . And also we have deaf churches all over USA but they are not Catholic, more alike Baptist church or different churches. Some churches have interpters there also. For me I like to have deaf priest and my friends like to have deaf pastors ( not Catholic). I am not sure about other religion alike Jewish I am sure they probably have deaf rabbi unless I am wrong. I never met one deaf rabbi. :) anyway umm try to think what we have here in USA. You can read more on AD here to learn about us. U know we all have differnt ideas and belief.

nice meet you jazzy

Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos an information. :D

Welcome to AD! :welcome:

WOW!!! My mother's maternal grandmother's family are from Poland. I never really gave that country much thought but after seeing the pics...I would love to pay a visit there!

Thanks for sharing with us Ania. One of my favorite musicians is Polish, Anna Maria Jopek.

Hi everyone!
I'm happy that you liked what I wrote, and that you liked the pictures. :)
Nice to know that some of you are of Polish decent :) Should you ever be interested in anything connected with Poland, let me know :)

Thank you for sharing with us here on AD. My father and his family were Polish which mean I am half Polish and rest from my mother's side goes all way back to 1700 here in America. My grandparents left Poland in 1880's and went on boat to USA and they were first group of Polish to immgrant to USA. Anyway to make long story to short, my grandfather died when my father was 2 then he was adopted by his distant Polish cousin and her husband who left Poland before world war 1. My dad took his adopted father's last name. They were very proud people from Poland. And very stubborn I would say. I remember those stories from my grandparents ( adopted one) , about Poland. Of course they were very strong Cathollic and brought Polish cuture into our llife. I remember eat fish on Christmas Eve and blood soup. Our favorite meal was sourkraut soup with polish sausage and potatoes. Of course babpka and potato pancakes. I never knew what a beautiful country you showed pictures out here. I do know my grandfather's two deaf sisters lived in Lithuana under USSR but I never learn to read or write their language when my grandfather lived with us and got their letters, I wish I could read their letters. Unfortunely when my grandfather died and family become lost. I do know my great-uncle is still alive so mean my two deaf great-aunts may still be alive. who knows.

Anyway, I am working on family tree and I need to find them in Poland to see where the name come from. I am not sure if the names were still there or lost during the war.

I married a man who also has some Polish heritage in him, his mother is Polish and so were her parents. Sad her great grandmother died during the war in Poland (she was buried alive by nazi soldiers on the side of road ).

As for deaf culture in USA, we use ASL I am sure you know. MMM Some of us went to Deaf school and lived in the dorm there. Some of us have deaf parents who use ASL and some of us have hearing family and some of them do not know ASL. But we do have VP, tty, closed captioned on TV and movies, social gatherings alike pizza night or starbuck night. Bowling night too. We also have once a year event , Deaf Day alike Disneyland or Magic Mountain. We have 50 states, I live in California and other deaf people live in different state and each of them have their own deaf culture. Of course not all of us use exactly same ASL. I can not think of anything else more. Ohhh We do have deaf Catholic church in Los Angeles, CA and we do have deaf priests . And also we have deaf churches all over USA but they are not Catholic, more alike Baptist church or different churches. Some churches have interpters there also. For me I like to have deaf priest and my friends like to have deaf pastors ( not Catholic). I am not sure about other religion alike Jewish I am sure they probably have deaf rabbi unless I am wrong. I never met one deaf rabbi. :) anyway umm try to think what we have here in USA. You can read more on AD here to learn about us. U know we all have differnt ideas and belief.

nice meet you jazzy

Hi, Jazzy!
If I could do anything that would help you to get in touch with your family in Poland (like translating from Polish or into Polish), I'd be very happy to do so :)

And one more thing... May I have one question about Deaf culture? I've read on AD that there are some customs that you have, like waving at the Deaf plays instead of clapping, or twirling a napkin around up high to get the bride and groom kiss. Are there any other interesting customs that you have? I'd be very happy to read about them :)

Thanks for the interesting read Ania. I am not Polish, but I am interested in other countries/cultures. Poland looks like a very nice country. The pictures are also beautiful. :)

Back