My Audiogram

My understanding is some people use the wrong kind of hearing aids. For example, When I first started using hearing aids I used aids for moderate hearing loss, not profound, and they were analog. They did nothing for me. Now I use super power digitals and they work perfect.

This does happen for sure, I was often given moderate power aids during the analogue era because the difference between my best and worst hearing frequencies was 40dB so they aided for the best hearing not the worst. Sometimes, unbelievably, this still happens. Don't know if it's inexperienced audiologists or what it is, but I was given an M hearing aid by my hospital and always wondered why I couldn't hear anything (like, nothing at all, I should certainly be able to hear alarms and things aided) every time it goes into the "comfort" program it's because it's borderline for being helpful at all, the gain is not near enough and when it goes to comfort mode the gain is basically zero and I am wearing some very expensive earplugs. I have a pair of SPs now and am wondering what in the world they were thinking giving me Ms cos it's like night and day.

I think if people haven't tried hearing aids for a long time, like 10 years or more, then it may be worth another shot at them, but not everyone is ready to play that game again.

Back