My 1 yr old daughter....

weclome to AD!! Enjoy our staying!!

sigh, I cannot give you answer but Teach your girl sign language. My son learned how sign when he was about 1 years old. His sign was very basic when he learned at first. My son is hearing. We didnt teach him how speak because we wanted him learn sign language first. Then he learned how speak from my husband after he knew sign language. I don't know how work if teach one year old kid to learn speak because they cannot hear. I cannot read their mind if they would understand the sound if they wear hearing aid. For me, I was kid, I cannot understand the sound at all if I wear hearing aid. Sound cunfused me so bad. I cannot follow the sound at all. My old friend told me that she had very hard time to follow the sound and it took her many year to understand the sound. She said it was not easy at all.

I don't want give you wrong or right answer but up to you to make decision for your girl.

my husband is the one serving in the army, he just got home from his year long tour in iraq. Its been a hard year without him here and all my dd's problems and my 2 year old driving me nuts also, lol. We find out in December if she is a canidate for implants. Right now she just keeps pulling out her pink HA's, and her right one wont stay in. Does this mean she needs a new mold? The molds were made over a month ago.

Wow I bet you were so happy to see DH back from Iraq. A year!! That's so long. It must have been a big year for you with coming to terms with the deafness in your daughter and having your loved one overseas in a dangerous place.

Hello Nirenameit,
The picture of your daughter is very cute. I have been deaf all my life and use hearing aids & never thought myself would get cochlear implants. I love to hear music, recognise nearly every daily sounds from singing birds to noisy traffic. My hearing aids are great and happy in the way i am. I have friends who have cochlear implants and let me say to you that this is not for everyone. When a good friend of mine got her Cochlear Implants surgery done in the early 90's , it was a new world to her since she heard once before as a child under 5 years old due to meningitis. The result was a success for a short while, over time she had ongoing problems for the last 10 years over that time she depended on signing and not using the hearing aids at all. Its going to be pretty soon shes getting it removed. She had been offered a free replacement and she declined cos of the nightmare she went thru. Technology has gotten better over the years and im sure she'll hear much better if getting it done but after all these problems she suffered, enough is enough so she said.

A lot of hearing parents would opt for cochlear implants for the child on thier will and want whats best for the child. Some can be misleading on what Dr's say and it will take some time to understand what its all about.Definitely confusing at first. without a cochlear implant your child may hear something thru hearing aids in the ears and i think audiologists may not know the exact loss of hearing thru a hearing test compared to a 5 year old - im trying to say is , when tested you press a button or switch on the light if you hear any sound. a baby wouldnt understand that by responding to the examiner " i heard that" by pressing the button. normally babies like to switch on/off at their own time.
When a Cochlear implant is done, the person will have to wear a hearing aid anyway but in a different way. It will have a magnetic console that is wired from the hearing aid and wherever the cochlear implant is installed its usually in the side above the ear, part of the brain area. the sound reacts to their brain, not thru the ears.
I know this is a tough decision for you to make , personally in my opinion like some deaf think operating on your daughter is like a guinea pig. no offense..
There are alternatives, Signing is a great way to start, if you have other kids in your family that are hearing, i think your child will speak pretty well growing up in a hearing environment like I grew up in. I speak very well and usually better than most deaf , just because i was surrounded by hearing all my life and went to a mainstream school. I met few deaf growing up, met more deaf in my college years and most of the other deaf friends hearing parents i met were impressed with my speech which was better than their own kids & had asked me where i went to school, where i learnt to speak well etc..
As for hearing aids your daughter keeps pulling them out, its just new to her and i expect her to hate them, she'll get used to it over time and the most annoying thing can be volume setting on loudness, feedback irritates her, so i guess her hearing is not very profound at all. It depends on how much hearing loss she has. You said shes almost deaf on your first post, in my opinion she might have better hearing than me so CI is not really needed. I think it needs for when a person is severely profound and want to hear sounds thats the way to go.
I dont know the full facts but as they (Dr's) say the younger the person is getting CI, they may hear better or the same as a kid with using hearing aids, live in a hearing world and thats not always the case. the only difference is in my experience knowing people who are profound, partially deaf without CI, I know more partially deaf speak more clearly than a profound deaf would. The advantage of a CI done on a person on an early age may benefit from that by their speech could be better than a deaf without CI from an early age. I think that is why DR's / Audiologists say its the best time for CI and result it a success.Remember i said before its not for everyone and i know its a scary thing to go ahead on CI surgery.
my family is all hearing - Deaf friends of mine who are from deaf families usually dont have CI and are very happy with signing, great technology to use for communication, tv access on captions and i dont see anything wrong with that.
if you want to test yourself on your child , let her be alone to play with her toys with hearing aids on, not being seen, look at her and see if she reacts to banging pots and pans. if she reacts or cries, then she can hear sounds which is great and not neccessarily need CI.
Best of luck and there are two sides to every story on whether she needs CI or not. I look forward to hearing how she gets on and what your decision is. I hope my input gives you some help on your decision.
I'll be checking on the forum for your updates.. Take care.

Hi Momtotoes,
Very interesting website you set up about your daughters life with CI. Im impressed with her progress and she seems very happy in life and gets interesting every day.
all the best. have a nice thanksgiving

Hi, I joined this site in hopes of finding out more information about the deaf culture and things i can do to help my daughter. She just turned one year old last month. She was born with a lot of issues and we just learned that shes almost deaf. She got her first pair of hearing aides a few weeks ago. She hates them and tries to pull them off all the time. Shes going in December to see if shes a canidate for Choclear Implants (forgive me if i spelled that wrong) I hope that i can meet alot of people on here that can help me out and give me advice because i sure can use it. I learned ASL in high school but that was a while ago, so i need to refresh my memory.
Ah, welcome to AllDeaf.
I wish I had found this place so early in my search for information.
You will find lots of it.... And just ask away. Start topics with your question to get the best result...

Like momoftoes said, visit the blog I made with info on my daughter. There are other links there - on the left - with even more info.

And it IS a wondeful journey.. Experience it to the fullest and enjoy it..

Abr

"i think audiologists may not know the exact loss of hearing thru a hearing test compared to a 5 year old - im trying to say is , when tested you press a button or switch on the light if you hear any sound. a baby wouldnt understand that by responding to the examiner " i heard that" by pressing the button. normally babies like to switch on/off at their own time."
In response to Celticool The way the doctors found out how much hearing she has was by doing an ABR. They first tried to get her to look towards sounds in a booth, but she failed that, then they tried flashing lights on the side of the booth the sounds were coming from and she failed that too. then they tried doing the test they use on newborns, but she failed that too. They decided to do an ABR but she had to be asleep, she woke up before they finished one ear, so she was sedated and had an ABR done again. I guess it shows how her brain responds to sounds that were transmitted through her ear.
Wow I bet you were so happy to see DH back from Iraq. A year!! That's so long. It must have been a big year for you with coming to terms with the deafness in your daughter and having your loved one overseas in a dangerous place.
In response to R2D2, yes it was a hard year, both the kids got RSV, my son has tubes put in in Feburary, my daughter had therapy and dr.appts all the times and i was doing it alone since he was deployed. It was the longest hardest year of my life. Im just glad hes back now and can help with everything.

Hey.....here is my GOTTA HAVE resources list for parents of dhh kids.
Join the American Society for Deaf Children. It is a VERY good resource! Unbiased as to methodology, and "how deaf" your child is, and education and all that fun stuff. It really is a great organization....something that AG Bell tries to be, but isn't.
American Society for Deaf Children
Next the Parent Deaf hh listserv: Archives of PARENTDEAF-HH@LISTSERV.KENT.EDU
There is also Hands and Voices: Hands & Voices
and their new messageboard: Hands & Voices Bulletin Board :: Index
Also contact your state's School for the Deaf as well as it's branch of NAD.
I don't reccommend AG Bell as its mostly focused on oral deaf issues and education, and lots and lots about CIs. Very little for hoh/aided kids. Some of the viewpoints can be very anti Sign. They've gotten a little better,(eg it's not too unusual to see 'terps at the conferences LOL) which is good, but still...... NOT reccomended!
SHHH is also very boring. It's actually changed its name to HLAA (Hearing Loss Association of America) It's basicly a bunch of old people and CId people whining that it's so horrible to be hoh, and that using ALDs is so empowering and fun! It's also very Hearing Health 101. You can already give your kid that by yourself.(noticed you said you were HOH in another thread) Membership really doesn't confer any advantages at all!

SHHH is also very boring. It's actually changed its name to HLAA (Hearing Loss Association of America) It's basicly a bunch of old people and CId people whining that it's so horrible to be hoh, and that using ALDs is so empowering and fun! It's also very Hearing Health 101. You can already give your kid that by yourself.(noticed you said you were HOH in another thread) Membership really doesn't confer any advantages at all!

:roll: DD, it don't seem that way to me - I am a member of the HLAA forum and it seems nice to me. Doesn't seem whiney at all. Actually, it's very informative. And it's not all about CIs, they have sections for those with HAs, MEIs, and a lot of other things hearing loss-related. And it's not all old people.

Nirenameit, you can check the forum out at http://www.myhearingloss.org/forum/default.asp

Hello and welcome

Sorry I am late on this post but I wanted to welcome you! Alldeaf has been a huge blessing for me. My 20 month old son Isaac had his right ear impanted on September 26th of this year and was activated on October 20th. We have already seen a difference in him. It is amazing. We taught Isaac sign as soon as we found out he was deaf because we had no idea how long it would take to get through the hearing aid/cochlear implant process. We could not get hearing aids right away due to the medical assistance claim being delayed and we didn't want to pay out of pocket for them (we are glad we didn't because they didn't provide any benefit anyway). He is just blossoming with sign. He knows over 150 signs now and is so adorable. We want to keep exposing him to sign even though his dad and I are both hearing. We love ASL and it has definately eased frustration for Isaac. We know what he wants and he knows how to communicate. We are hoping it will help him learn spoken language because he already has a basis for communication. Good luck on whatever you decide. God has a plan for your family and your daughter. I created a blog detailing Isaac's journey if you would like to take a look at it. Take care.

Isaac's World

*shrug* I guess it depends on your viewpoint. I mean I do have to say that it DOES try to be diverse. But it's a well known fact that the majority of HLA members are late deafened and older. It does also seem like the only forum that's really active there is the CI forum.
Granted they aren't "oh i'm such a poor helpless victim" whiner , but it does seem like a lot of them view having hearing loss as a very negative thing....or more about Hearing Health 101, rather then something that's just a part of them like their eye color or whatever.

*shrug* I guess it depends on your viewpoint. I mean I do have to say that it DOES try to be diverse. But it's a well known fact that the majority of HLA members are late deafened and older. It does also seem like the only forum that's really active there is the CI forum.
Granted they aren't "oh i'm such a poor helpless victim" whiner , but it does seem like a lot of them view having hearing loss as a very negative thing....or more about Hearing Health 101, rather then something that's just a part of them like their eye color or whatever.

Well, being deaf isn't always fun.

And besides, some of them are late deafened, so when they lose their hearing they have a harder time adjusting to being deaf, so it can feel like a negative thing to them. Give them a break.

:welcome: To All Deaf nirenameit!!
Sorry to hear about your daughter. She a very pretty little girl:) I'm hearing myself so welcome aboard &
Have Fun Posting &
Enjoy your stay here:thumb:

Very true Lucia. I'm just saying that HLAA tends to be better for late deafened folks....and I can understand why someone who aquirred a disablity could really dislike it, since they know what functioning like a nondisabled person is like.
I think that parents need to equipt their kids with a full toolbox approach. Like HLAA and AG Bell tend to be very rehabilative and Hearing Health in their approach. While Hearing Health may have its benifits, I really think that most parents need to be openminded about approaches like Sign and things like that (like FM device or whatever) .....even for mild loss or unilaterally loss kids! I've heard of cases where the parent raises the kid with a full toolbox "let them choose" approach, and the kid chose to be ORAL! I'm perfectly OK with that approach.....b/c it was the KID'S choice. I've noticed that a lot of times when Sign and things like that are prohibited, the parent tends to have had significent issues with accepting their kids' disabilty/difference.

Back