Music as audist?

asongofhands

Reaction score
I'm doing a presentation on Deaf music/musicians and my instructor thought it would be interesting to include the other side - the view that music is a product of a hearing society, one that has long discriminated against Deaf people.

I'm looking for any references to audism and music - news articles, books, movies, etc. I am aware of an article by Gallaudet professor MJ Bienvenu ("Stop the Music"), though I can only access it if I go in person to the Gallaudet library archives, which is not a possibility. Know of any reasonably accessible sources?

I'm doing a presentation on Deaf music/musicians and my instructor thought it would be interesting to include the other side - the view that music is a product of a hearing society, one that has long discriminated against Deaf people.

I'm looking for any references to audism and music - news articles, books, movies, etc. I am aware of an article by Gallaudet professor MJ Bienvenu ("Stop the Music"), though I can only access it if I go in person to the Gallaudet library archives, which is not a possibility. Know of any reasonably accessible sources?
Here is one interesting opinion.
Kalalau's Korner: Search results for piano

"Video no longer available." Drats.

Yeah, this individual packed up and dropped out of sight (off the Internet) about a month ago cuz too many folks said/thought he was nuts....in a nutshell, in addition to a specific health problem he experienced several months ago.

However, I am positive he is lurking somewhere.....

What is stopping a deaf/Deaf/DEAF person from the reading the printed score?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

How does music itself discriminate against the Deaf or is audist? It's music, not a person. Do you mean how do the hearing world use music to discriminate against the deaf? How so?

Wirelessly posted

I'm oral deaf myself... Been played violin for 3 yrs n cello for 4 yrs in town of Bourne, ma. Since in the late 70's until 86's during middle school though high school the only deaf play ever since even have cape cod orchtera's record right in my bedroom closet...... Even played at the Boston pop... Since i was Jr in high school, n meet the conductor, too, before pass away, he was shock, n shake my hand and ask my name....no where u from.... Told my teacher u got a smartass child here n she say i know, cause ive taught her since middle school yrs to now, but i was only deaf in those schools years. Cati P.S. It not a joke.... Check town of bourne in Massachusetts, during those yrs... U find out.... Ain't it shockin... Lolz meow music is my life....

Speaking of Deaf musicians and violinists. I was a violinist myself so I just love this commercial.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um9KsrH377A]Extraordinary Pantene Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

Sure, it 'hair' commercial but having affinity to violin I just love the 'story' and how emotional she plays with broken violin.

Yup, it's much more than just a hair commercial, it is a good life lesson :).

Phonocentrism and music?

Okay, how about music as reflective of the implicit phonocentrism in our society? CDs, MP3 players, loudspeakers, concerts without interpretation... Can you think of other examples?

Back