Music and Cochlear Implants

LuciaDisturbed

Reaction score
I'm making a thread because I am curious as to what people with CIs like to use to listen to their music:

*Directly hooked up to a mp3 player
*Directly hooked up to a Walkman CD player
*Directly hooked up to a Walkman cassette player (Yeah, I know this ain't the 80s but I know some CIs still prefer their old Walkman cassette players)
*Directly hooked up to the speakers on your computer or the TV or any other large appliances that have the ability to play music

OR

*Not hooked up to anything
* listening to your cheap computer speakers that you get from Walmart for $10
*listening to good very large computer speakers that have the same kind of really good speakers like one you would see at a rock concert, only much smaller but still 2x the size of a Kleenex tissue box and costs more $.
*getting bass speakers that are originally for TV and music stereos but can be hooked up to your computer if you've got the know-how-to.
*getting a large stereo boom box with detached speakers so that you can put the speakers in strategic positions around your bedroom or living room so that you can enjoy the way it sounds coming out of speakers in different places of the room, instead of on one table in one corner
*same boom box but with both speakers not detached, and left in the same position as the boom box
*getting those oldie huge speakers from the 80s that are about the size of a small child's dresser and hooking those up to the TV or somehow to the computer so that you can play a CD in the DVD player (my DVD player can play mp3 CDs too) or play a CD in my computer with those huge speakers hooked up to the computer somehow
*listening to music in the car with a very good car CD stereo and speakers in 4 different places of the car or truck
*hooking up huge speakers in the trunk or the back of the car (like you would see on the TV show "Pimp My Ride") and putting a CD stereo player in the front
*just a good old car radio that's been there forever since the 70s
*just a radio/CD player that came with the brand new car
*and any other many ways you can listen to music without having to be hooked up to anything with a CD that has been provided to you from your CI company for free

What do you think you feel you hear the music better given the things I have mentioned above? Because I notice that I do hear the difference between listening to music hooked up to my mp3 player only via a cord and listening to music without being hooked up to anything but listening to music coming out of really good speakers with my CIs?

Also, one more thing...for you CIers...what speakers do you find you like listening to music with? Which one is better? What brand, what kind, etc that you would recommend but is still at a very reasonable price? I do like the speakers I have, but I do hear a huge difference between the speakers I have with my computer and the music I hear when my fiance plays music in his truck with 4 good speakers in different places of the truck and using the CD player in front. I'm feeling that I hear better when I am not hooked up to anything VS being hooked up via a cord to anything.

Thank you in advance for your input!

I am very green on this! being profoundly deaf all my life and implanted last year at age of 30 I never really heard music although I could feel them well, I did keyboards at my school.

I plug my Ipod to my CI using PAC.

Now i have shelves in my tv room... perhaps i would get some speakers for my Ipod.... not sure yet as will ask my hearing friend for advice.

Hmm.... I do go for the PAC too (two PAC's plugged into a Y-split into my iPod). Occasionally I'll use those vibrating headphones from the 1970s that gives me concert sound with the vibrations...

I find that if I don't use those two options, my lyrical recongition goes down. I tried using an iPod into an iPod speaker and cranked it up but found myself hearing it very well but NOT understanding anything - the same song I'll get with 100 percent accuracy on my iPod/PAC combination... this is especially frustrating as I'm an actor and want to be able to hear the lyrics around me - or when I go to the theater, I want to be able to hear the actors themselves...

The problem with not being wired with the PACs is that the lyrics get muffled and faraway while the PAC, it's crisp and clear like they're singing into my ears...

Still trying to figure out a way to get the PAC sound without being wired up so I can move around... after all they don't have extension cords for those PACs!

I think you will benefit to hook it up directly to your processor. I did and my audiologist says I keep improving everytime. When I don't, it's the same result.

be sure to use the surge power type. I have statically surged my processor and I had to get an replacement

get an ipod... I can tell the big different in sound quality in them.

I don't think any of y'all understood what I was trying to say.

I was trying to ask y'all which method makes music sound better for you and why - the direct access via a cord to whatever music device you use to listen to music, or without any cord of any kind, just listening to music with your CI, using the large speakers and other things? And why does one method make music sound better to you than the other method? And how do you get your mp3 player (regardless of brand names) sound so good? And if y'all like the direct access (like your PACs or whatever cord you use) so much better than just the speakers alone with music from them coming through the air to your CIs, why is that better for you while I find that the mp3 player using direct access via the cords that was provided to me from Cochlear with the music doesn't sound very good to me while music coming from the speakers alone sounds quite good to me? Why does music from the mp3 player sound harsh to me while music from the speakers sound great to me?

I'm finding I like it better when I am not using the direct access method via a cord but rather liking the music that comes out of the speakers and travels through the air to my CI so much better. I don't think I like the direct access method too much. There is a difference in how music sounds when I use a direct access cord like my 2 cords that I was provided from Cochlear and use my mp3 player or CD player, and when I use nothing but just my CI and letting the music come out of speakers like in the car or at someone's house that has large speakers and travel through the air to my CI. I find that the direct access cord makes the music sound harsh and it also loses some of the quality as well as some of the music. Not all are there. I hear more of the music and I hear it much better using the speakers and not using the cords.

I would like for the music in my mp3 player to sound better with the cord I use that came from Cochlear, but it doesn't. It sounds harsh and I don't hear all of it. I find I rather like it coming out of speakers instead, and no direct access. It sounds better. I don't know why. I think I hear more of the music (not the words to the lyrics - I can't understand speech so I can't understand the words to the lyrics - I meant everything else music-wise) not using the cords. Maybe I should say - fuller or richer? Maybe it sounds more natural or normal to me? I'm not sure if they are the right words I should be using. Well, let's just say that the music that comes out of the speakers and travels through the air to my CI sounds so much more pleasing to my brain. I hope you understand what I mean.

Please don't tell me to get an Ipod or any specific brand of mp3 player unless you're willing to buy me that brand of mp3 player. I do not have the money for the Ipod. It's quite annoying given the fact that I am on a fixed income. Please understand that I do not have the kind of money you have. I have the Sansa SanDisk Mp3 player I got for Xmas and I have to make do with that. I cannot even use the Ipod Shuffle anyway either even though it's cheaper than the Ipod Nano because I need to be able to see the names/titles of the songs so that I can pick out and click on which song I want played, and Shuffle has no screen on it therefore I can't see the titles of the songs and pick what I want played from the playlist. Shuffle is just not accessible to me, period. It's great for hearing people, but I am Deaf and I hear with a CI. And I do not have the money to buy a different/better mp3 player. I'd absolutely love to have a 80 GB or even a 120 GB (if that amount existed!) Ipod Nano player that plays both mp3s and mp4s (not the one that plays videos because that one is just too big and eats up the battery power too fast, I want the Nano, the size is perfect, and I think it has a rechargeable battery), but unfortunately I do not have the kind of money for that. So, I have a 2 GB Sansa SanDisk mp3 player. I have so much more music than what my mp3 player holds - I have about 20 CD-R full of mp3s on each CD-R along with two DVD-Rs full of mp3s as well. I have more on my hard drive as well.

I'm not looking to understand the words to the lyrics. I don't need to understand the words to the lyrics because I can't even understand speech anyway and if I do not understand speech I will never be able to understand the words to the lyrics anyway, so words doesn't matter to me. I just want to hear more of the music I am playing. I just find that I'm just not hearing everything music-wise when I use the cord, that I miss out on quite a bit of the music, and the sounds coming through the cord also sounds a bit harsh. I find I hear a lot more of the music when I hear it coming out of the speakers in either my fiance's truck (he has like 4 speakers installed in different places of the truck, I think) and at friends' houses and whatnot where there are stereo speakers in the living room and stuff, and it doesn't sound harsh. I can't use the speakers or whatever it is that is inside my TV cause the left side in the TV bottom is fucked and the right one in the TV bottom just sucks (it is an old TV from 1995 - at least it has closed captions that still works!).

I have two cords for music that I got for free from Cochlear when I was activated in October of 2006 - the one for my computer and TV and anything that does not run on a battery and has to be plugged into an outlet - that one has a power surge protection thing near the end of the cord. That cord is extremely long, it will run from one end of the apartment to the other. Too fucking long and that length is just so fucking annoying. The other one is for my mp3 player and anything else that is small and runs on a battery and is never plugged into an outlet, and that cord is short, perfect length. But the cord is still rather quite annoying - feels like I am wearing a bodyworn CI/HA if you know what I mean? I go to pee and I forget I still have the mp3 player in my jeans pocket, I pull down my jeans, and ugh! It pulls on my cord, pulling the CI off my head! That's quite annoying! It reminds me of those bodyworn HAs we had years ago in the 80s and earlier! It's why I chose for both of my CIs to be BTEs for my left ear (I was provided with 2)!

I am not sure if a new MAP will make the music using direct access via the cord with my mp3 player or anything else sound better especially if music not using any direct access of any kind already sounds quite so good and so much better, and that makes me think that a new MAP is not going to make any difference. I don't know. I'd really like for the music from my mp3 player to sound as good as music coming out of speakers and other stuff, because I like to use my mp3 player when I am not home. I mean, I can't just carry around a huge boombox around town, it would only make me look very extremely stupid and so very 80s. Seriously. I prefer my nice and small mp3 player, thank you very much! And even the Walkman CD player is just too fucking big to carry around, and it's so very 90s, and quite annoying to have to hold the CD player in one hand all the time, only having the other hand free to do other things. I can't fit the damn thing even in my XXL extremely oversized hoodie pocket (I like for some of my hoodies to be huge for the comfort factor and also it's something of a old habit from my old days - not all are that big - some are just my size too - it depends on what I feel like wearing that day) The mp3 player is small enough that I can stick it in any pocket and keep both hands free so I can sign.

I just want to figure out how to make my mp3 player give me a better quality of how the music is supposed to sound, I would like for the mp3 player to sound as good as the music that comes out of large speakers and travels through the air to my CI, I want the music coming from my mp3 player to sound so much more pleasing to my brain. I'm trying to figure this out and would really like some input and helpful suggestions so I can use my mp3 player while I am out and around town.

Thank you very much.

MY Kind of thread!! :)

My answers are in bold, I deleted most of them as I have never tried them.

*Directly hooked up to a mp3 player

I prefer to be directly hooked up to a mp3 player. I have never tried the others, so I cannot say. I have tried listening through my computer, but because I have "autosensitivity" in my Music program, I can hear background noise, so I don't really use it that much.
OR

*Not hooked up to anything Only when I'm in my car
* listening to your cheap computer speakers that you get from Walmart for $10 Never tried, but because of the background noise, it isn't as good

*listening to music in the car with a very good car CD stereo and speakers in 4 different places of the car or truck
I like to put on my music program for this one as I don't really hear the outside noise, except for really loud noise. Music sounds much better. I don't have fancy speakers

What do you think you feel you hear the music better given the things I have mentioned above? Because I notice that I do hear the difference between listening to music hooked up to my mp3 player only via a cord and listening to music without being hooked up to anything but listening to music coming out of really good speakers with my CIs?

I agree with this. The PACs give me the most direct. There's no interference whatsoever. For example, if you have speakers, there cannot be ANYTHING in front of the speakers PLUS, the way the rooms are set up (or cars), it's very difficult to get a good sound range from various sources. On top of that, you have to account in the echoing of the room. Unless if you have a soundproof room...you will hear some sort of distortion with certain music. If you played a music box in the bathroom, then play it in the living room, it will sound very different because of the size of the rooms and configurations of the walls (much older homes tend to be echoy).

Also, one more thing...for you CIers...what speakers do you find you like listening to music with? Which one is better? What brand, what kind, etc that you would recommend but is still at a very reasonable price? I do like the speakers I have, but I do hear a huge difference between the speakers I have with my computer and the music I hear when my fiance plays music in his truck with 4 good speakers in different places of the truck and using the CD player in front. I'm feeling that I hear better when I am not hooked up to anything VS being hooked up via a cord to anything.

As far as I know, Bose has the best speaker system. I have not yet tried it as I don't need it at the moment. I do have Bose speaker system that came with my home (lady died, so we have some of her stuff...it's obviously that she loved to listen to music or whatever because there's bose speakers, and speakers in every room. I have tried the Bose over the ear headphones, and i found it to be terrific. It's a little expensive though. Another next brand I would try is the Sony speakers. I *hate* my computer speakers...it sounds so...umm..."little"!

The BESTEST bet is to find a Stereo store that has certain rooms closed up, and find an audiophile. They will most likely give you the best advice. You can tell them what type of music you prefer, and what you don't, and the speakers/equalizers can be adjusted accordingly.

Thank you in advance for your input!

I'm off to read your next looong post. :-D

And why does one method make music sound better to you than the other method?
I think not only it has to do with experience, but what type of music you prefer. Something that you have set for a rock concert (for example, hearing the drums and bass guitar over the vocals), will be very different than something you would have set for Opera or Classical. Personally, for me, I prefer to hear the vocals over everything else. I do want to hear the instruments, but not so overpowering. So, I have my MAP and my MP3 set to that. For someone that much prefer Rap music or lots of drumming (which majority of deaf people like because they can feel it), would have the setting differently.

And how do you get your mp3 player (regardless of brand names) sound so good?
Since I use iPod, it comes with equalizer presets. I just leave it on Treble reducer or Vocal Booster. The majority of the adjustments is actually through my CI, not my MP3. :-D ALSO - it has to do with how you ripped the CDs onto your MP3. If you downloaded it off the web (whichever how...:cool2:), it will sound not as good as if you have directly ripped. Lastly, you have to have it set to rip at a higher quality. It takes up more memory when you do that, but it sounds better. Most people rip at 128, some a little higher. Lastly, you need to rip it as normal. I made a big mistake by ripping it at lower volume and using one of the presets. It is annoying to listen to those type of songs that sounds much softer/quieter than the others then hear a very loud song after that.

And if y'all like the direct access (like your PACs or whatever cord you use) so much better than just the speakers alone with music from them coming through the air to your CIs, why is that better for you while I find that the mp3 player using direct access via the cords that was provided to me from Cochlear with the music doesn't sound very good to me while music coming from the speakers alone sounds quite good to me? Why does music from the mp3 player sound harsh to me while music from the speakers sound great to me?

My thought, it's probably because you aren't mapped for that. I had the same problem when I was first activated. The speakers in my car sounded horrible, but MP3 was "okay". After getting mapped quite a few times, I realized that it's not helping. SO...what I suggest you to do is satifice two of your programs to use strictly for music. One for the speakers like you said (since you said it sounds good), and one for direct audio input. Bring your MP3 player TO the audiologist office. Make SURE that the songs are set to "normal" NO presets, no nothing. You don't want to try to determine what is best through the MP3, only through your CI. :) I know it's annoying to disconnect the CI from the computer in order to hear through the PACs, but it will be worth it.

It also sounds like you're getting the "surround sound" when listening to speakers. You don't get that when you listen directly. I'm not sure if you know, but there's a reason why headphones have R and L for specific ears. Some of the music are recorded to be made to hear ONLY through the Right, and ONLY through the Left. Not many, but there are songs out there. This is why it's called "stereo". :-D A perfect song will be "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. Ask your fiance, he should explain it better. When you listen through the PACs, you are only getting the stereo through ONE cord, so in a way, you're getting both. With speakers, especially 5:1 Surround speakers setup, the way it is set up, bass music may come out just one speaker, higher pitched music comes from the other, and vocals come from the third. Try this for a test - listen to your favorite song through the speakers. Go up to EACH speakers, and you'll see that there's differences between all the speakers. That's why you probably hear and like it better. You're becoming an audiophile! :) When I had two implants, I tried listening through both ears with two PACs (I had to buy adapter in order to put both together), they both do not give me the R/L configurations like a normal headphone. If you listen to OLD movies, they don't have surround sounds, but the newer movies do. This is why you hear BASS coming from "behind you" and vocals in front of you.

Please don't tell me to get an Ipod or any specific brand of mp3 player unless you're willing to buy me that brand of mp3 player. Again, it has nothing to do with the brand. It has to do with the PAC configuration AND the settings on your CI. You may actually be better off getting over the ear headphones, but invest in a QUALITY one..not some cheap ass...I know you're on a fixed income and such, but save up, and it will be worth it. Or make a hint to your fiance or family that you want some of the money to go for that.

I'm not looking to understand the words to the lyrics. I don't need to understand the words to the lyrics because I can't even understand speech anyway and if I do not understand speech I will never be able to understand the words to the lyrics anyway, so words doesn't matter to me. I just want to hear more of the music I am playing. This is why you need to have a setting on your equalizer through your MP3 player to set on what you prefer. Bass Booster is common. Also, have the setting on your CI to fit as well. I prefer to hear the lyrics, so my settings will be different from yours. As for the cord issues - I know exactly what you mean. I love my PACs, but it's too short. :-( You'll actually be better off with Headphones.

I am not sure if a new MAP will make the music using direct access via the cord with my mp3 player or anything else sound better especially if music not using any direct access of any kind already sounds quite so good and so much better, and that makes me think that a new MAP is not going to make any difference. I don't know. Yes, getting a different map specifically only for MP3/direct audio input will make a difference.

Thank you very much.

I hope I clarify some things up for you and get you to enjoy your MP3 better. :-P

I hope I clarify some things up for you and get you to enjoy your MP3 better. :-P

Ladysekhmet, thank you so much for taking the time to explain all those things to me! I did not know those things! :)

Oh, and I have tried my fiance's headphones to listen to music, but for some reason I could not hear anything at all with his headphones, somehow the sounds that are supposed to come out of his headphones doesn't go to my CI microphones at all, nothing gets transmitted to my coil. I thought that was weird. It might be because it was a cheap brand, but still...I should have heard something.

And just so you know, my fiance is Deaf too but he can hear with his HAs.

Ladysekhmet, thank you so much for taking the time to explain all those things to me! I did not know those things! :)

Oh, and I have tried my fiance's headphones to listen to music, but for some reason I could not hear anything at all with his headphones, somehow the sounds that are supposed to come out of his headphones doesn't go to my CI microphones at all, nothing gets transmitted to my coil. I thought that was weird. It might be because it was a cheap brand, but still...I should have heard something.

And just so you know, my fiance is Deaf too but he can hear with his HAs.

You welcome! I learned a lot about stereo set up through my fiance, AND I had a lot of experience with listening to music...not to the point where I am an audiophile, but I can be a bit picky. Music was the primary reason why I got the CI in the first place.

Weird. Have you tried putting your CI on T mode? That always works for me.
I had no idea that your fiance is deaf. My fiance is hearing, so I just kind of thought it was the same. :)

There is alot of settings we can get Audi to put on our CI's, Lucia, Lady and I have Freedom. Lighthouse77, What do you have?

On my Freedom i have 2 programs just for music, it's trial programs that i need to try out.
One is ADRO with whisper
another is normal with whisper and 3 notches down (not sure which levels) to bring quieter sounds in.
I have tried ADRO/Auto sensitivity... couldn't hear much, the music sounded too whitewashed.
The ADRO with whisper I began to pick out the music without visual... so thats a big step for me! Will try the other music program today, I have plenty of time to play with the programs and will decide which is better for me.

Lucia thank you for making this thread, so far i have learnt few things. I had began to love music and want to get much information as possible to make music pleasant for us.

Lady you wrote this

I love my PACs, but it's too short. :-( You'll actually be better off with Headphones.

how do you mean it's too short for you?? I find that when i wear my jeans and teeshirt i find putting my Ipod in my pocket bit short for my long body, lol. So temporarily I found a little pouch and pinned it on my teeshirt. At the weekend i bought IPod cover from Paperchase, it got clip where it can be clipped onto anything it also came with neck laylard. I am going to try these out today... I wish that there is TV cable short enough for the Ipod since it got volume control. I emailed to Cochlear about this they said not cost effective! oh well....

You welcome! I learned a lot about stereo set up through my fiance, AND I had a lot of experience with listening to music...not to the point where I am an audiophile, but I can be a bit picky. Music was the primary reason why I got the CI in the first place.

Weird. Have you tried putting your CI on T mode? That always works for me.
I had no idea that your fiance is deaf. My fiance is hearing, so I just kind of thought it was the same. :)

Hm. I can't remember if I tried the T mode, it was quite a while ago. But I will try it the next time I am at my fiance's house. I don't think I was supposed to use the T mode for headphones, actually. Thanks!

Hm. I can't remember if I tried the T mode, it was quite a while ago. But I will try it the next time I am at my fiance's house. I don't think I was supposed to use the T mode for headphones, actually. Thanks!

Yeah, you can use the T-mode for anything to completely block out background noise. I use it ALL the time when I had my hearing aids. What was a bit crazy is that if you have the music loud enough, people can hear it through your HA's. I've gotten a few embarrassing looks. With CI, and PACs, you can turn it as loud as you want.

Over the ear headphones work the best because it cups the microphone than just flat on the ear headphones (where you need to move the headphone right on the microphone, which looks weird when you put it on).

Lady you wrote this

I love my PACs, but it's too short. :-( You'll actually be better off with Headphones.

how do you mean it's too short for you?? I find that when i wear my jeans and teeshirt i find putting my Ipod in my pocket bit short for my long body, lol.

I tend to wear long sweatshirts. So if I had it in my pocket whether it's in the front or back, It sorta goes under my sweatshirt to get to my pocket. When I do that, my sweatshirt is leaning against the cord, and it's "pulling" it down. Plus I can't really move too freely. I would have to put the cord UNDER my sweatshirt/tshirt which can be a PIA as well. It would feel like my cord is being pulled. Compared to iPod headphones, it's pretty short. :)

I can't clip on to my tshirt as I have the 160gb model, so it's a bit heavy. When I had my Nano 3rd generation, it would work.

If I can afford it, I would get headphones. I find it more convenience to use, however, it's bulky. So...

Ahh.. thats explains... if you had said you had the bigger model I would have understood. Interesting.... Yesterday I went to a shop called Maplin, dunno if you have one in USA, it's electrical store for music and TV's. I saw those "Y" jacks and extended cord (can be bought separately)... would that help?

PAC is best

For me, the Personal Audio Cable (PAC) is best, better than t-coil, better than headphones, better than fancy speakers.

With the PAC make sure to experiment with your sensitivity setting; setting sensitivity to zero gives the best sound by cutting out all background noise (usually, depending on how your CI is configured by your audiologist). If you have it set to something other than zero, you get a lot of noise from the microphone and the PAC source is attenuated. (Essentially, with the PAC hooked up, the "sensitivity" control becomes the *microphone* sensitivity control; setting it high will actually cut back on the audio coming through the PAC.)

For me, TV is one of the remaining situations where I don't think I'm doing as well as I should. I think it's a combination of the small TV speakers and a lot of echo in the room the TV is in, but I'm just not sure.

I do use a neckloop rather than the PAC sometimes for my MP3 player so I can get sounds through my hearing aid too, but usually I prefer the sound just through the CI, with the hearing aid off.

For me, the Personal Audio Cable (PAC) is best, better than t-coil, better than headphones, better than fancy speakers.

With the PAC make sure to experiment with your sensitivity setting; setting sensitivity to zero gives the best sound by cutting out all background noise (usually, depending on how your CI is configured by your audiologist). If you have it set to something other than zero, you get a lot of noise from the microphone and the PAC source is attenuated. (Essentially, with the PAC hooked up, the "sensitivity" control becomes the *microphone* sensitivity control; setting it high will actually cut back on the audio coming through the PAC.)

For me, TV is one of the remaining situations where I don't think I'm doing as well as I should. I think it's a combination of the small TV speakers and a lot of echo in the room the TV is in, but I'm just not sure.

I do use a neckloop rather than the PAC sometimes for my MP3 player so I can get sounds through my hearing aid too, but usually I prefer the sound just through the CI, with the hearing aid off.

Bit like you in TV suitation, I find TV unclear most of the time and the volume always goes up and down, If my volume is at normal (comfortable level) if they whisper or are talking quieter i cannot hear them and if there is action sounds like bombs going off, cars screeching or talking aloud that kind of thing is a bit loud for my liking but all these sounds in a film or program is not on because I would have to turn my Implant/cable/remote control up and down all the time but by then it's too late... is there a way round it?

I prefer Ipod over TV as for listening practice!!! as they have auto volume thing in it.

In my case, I use Advanced Bionics Harmony on a normal HiRes(olution) 120 program level. I either listen directly from stereo or guitar rig speakers, or I use Direct Link cable (similar to PAC) connected fRom my PDA straight to my processor's audio hook. I am able to hear pretty well, although like all CI's, it's always a work in progress. I use an equalizer to enhance the sound frequencies and to limit others - to me, jacking up the 300-500hz gives it a bad "old" sound remniscent of old time speakers, so that's the area I limit. I find that vocals sound better if I enhance the 700-1300hz range, especially the 60-150hz bass range (ascending order) and the extreme 5000+hz treble range (descending order). This allows me to hear all the instruments really well, matter of fact, ALOT better than my HA days!

Back