Murdoch could block Google

netrox

Reaction score
Rupert Murdoch says he will remove stories from Google's search index as a way to encourage people to pay for content online.

In an interview with Sky News Australia, the mogul said that newspapers in his media empire – including the Sun, the Times and the Wall Street Journal – would consider blocking Google entirely once they had enacted plans to charge people for reading their stories on the web.

"The people who simply just pick up everything and run with it – steal our stories, we say they steal our stories - they just take them," he said. "That's Google, that's Microsoft, that's Ask.com, a whole lot of people ... they shouldn't have had it free all the time, and I think we've been asleep."

Stupid Murdoch... just put "robots.txt" in your server to tell search engines NOT to index and that'll do the job. It's that simple. Please block Google. I don't want Google to index your faux news!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/nov/09/murdoch-google

People are not going to pay to read the news on the internet. They tried many times in the past and they failed every single time.

People are not going to pay to read the news on the internet. They tried many times in the past and they failed every single time.

Right. People don't pay for news on TV so why should they pay for news on Internet?!?!

If they don't get a clue, paper-based publications is a dying industry.

Right. People don't pay for news on TV so why should they pay for news on Internet?!?!

If they don't get a clue, paper-based publications is a dying industry.

I would say it's because most community newspapers are owned by corporations when they should be owned by local residents (businesses). Corporations are trying to globalize the community newspapers when they in fact should be covering more local stories and not the national stories.

Also, it's becoming obvious that many national corporations are clueless in how local advertising works.

I hope he goes through with his plans. There are plenty of other reliable/quality news sources out there...

I think he has a few less pounds/dollars than he used to have, and he wants to get a few back - but this is not the way to do it!

I won't miss his content. My local paper is better and they generate income with ads.

Well, he is probably bitter he did not sell his newspapers. Many newspapers are going belly up. His will follow suit, or become much smaller. I rarely buy a newspaper anymore. Kind of looks like a bad business move. Too little too late. Guess this would make the free press a more liberal bastion, with one of the largest conservative news sources charging a fee. I will certainly save my cash, and my views will start leaning a bit more left.

Yeah.

The internet is the information highway. It should be free.

Even if their content was blocked, the same information could still be found elsewhere.

So, by doing this... they're only making things worse for themselves. :roll:

Back