Multilingual CART?

ismi

Reaction score
I'm going to be taking a German class at my university next semester. I used to be fluent, so I'm not particularly concerned (I think if I can read it, I can say it), but it would be nice to have a backup.

Doing some Googling, I've found information on ASL interpreting and CS transliterating for language classes. Interesting stuff, although I wonder how practical it is in real life. However, I don't sign and I barely cue, so I'm wondering about CART. Has anyone had experience with CART in a language class?

I can partially answer your question, ismi. Yes, I have experienced CART in foreign language classes, but the captioner did not transliterate anything that was not spoken in English. ASL interpreters are comparably useless, too, unless they know Spanish and they're interpreting a Spanish class for you. Basically, I survived language classes by relying on my "ear" and paying close attention to the professor.

I'd love to take Chinese, but I haven't figured a way how I'll survive if I take it.

Back