Mssd?

morbid-mongoose

Reaction score
So for those of you who don't know, I became HoH three years ago. It's gotten progressively worse over time, and even though I have aids now, I'm still having trouble with communication (also don't know ASL), especially in social interaction. I'm really unhappy with how things are going and feel really bad about myself (I'm in counseling and on meds, but that can only help so much). My parents and I are discussing possibly sending me to MSSD if things don't start to look up soon. I'm just wondering from those of you who have been there or know someone who has if you think I'd have a better chance there or what you thought of the school.

Thanks,
m-m

I know so many people that have graduated from there. What kind of questions do u have for MSSD so I can ask my friends and co-workers who went there? I did one practicum teaching there but it was only for 3 hours a week for 5 weeks. Not enough for me to form an opinion about it.

Hi, Morbid!
Ugh I feel for you! High school SUCKED! I have an online friend who is currently attending MSSD.
I will send her the link to this chat, and she can fill you in on stuff.
MSSD is supposed to be the BEST deaf school around. It even offers languages like French and Spanish! My friend did mention that there are some hoh kids attending MSSD. She loves loves loves the social life.
Just wondering, are there other educational options besides MSSD for you?
(eg your state's School for the Deaf, regional programs etc)
I do think MSSD would be awesome for you. You'll definitily be in the minority, since most dhh kids at deaf schools have been that way since birth. But I mean *shrugs* overall most dhh kids are pre or perilingal dhh, rather then postlingal. You do seem OK with it, which is awesome! Do you have AIM? PM me, if you do (don't worry, I know all too well the strange people who come after you if you publicly post your AIM) and I can have you talk with Brit (she's semi good at English, but still occasionally makes mistakes)

Hi, Morbid! Just wondering, are there other educational options besides MSSD for you?
(eg your state's School for the Deaf, regional programs etc)

There is a state school, but I live in Northern Virginia a couple of hours outside of DC, and it seems to make more sense because it's a lot closer.

What kind of questions do u have for MSSD so I can ask my friends and co-workers who went there?

Hey shel, I'm wondering a lot about the social life, as well as how strong an arts program they have (I'm really into computer graphics). Also I'm interested in overall experiences other people have had with the school. Thanks. :ty:
(I'm also wondering if they'll eat me alive for being the random goth kid who sits in the corner... :eek3:)

I am pretty sure there are many more upsides going to MSSD than downsides. I enjoyed MSSD, two HOH friends I had there, who was in the process of learning sign language was skinhead and one goth. Also remember a deaf punk. The many different personalities among the students made it easy to get friends. Youngsters are youngsters :) They also had a good counselors there at my time, and bet they still have. Art class was not bad. I learn to draw more there than any other school, except for the pure art institutions.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone who's offered advice and input so far. :)
My parents aren't wild about the idea of me going to a residential school though... does anyone know of a website (or other resource) that explains the benefits of deaf/hoh kids being educated in deaf schools and interacting with other deaf/hoh kids? I need to try to convince them that the potential benefits outweigh any drawbacks. =/

You're only a few hours away from MSSD? Point out that you'd be close enough to come home every weekend if you wanted to! Tell them it would really encourage your independance. They even have an "independant living" (not like MR) sitution where the teens get to "pretend" they are on their own. One thing that a lot of parents have trouble with is fostering independance in their dhh (or otherwise disabled) kids. Point out that you'd be getting really good services and you'd get to become bilingal in another language. (good job skill for later!) I'll ask around for resources and things.

I am former student at MSSD and few of my friends are HoH and know nothing abt sign languages and/or ASL, so they learned so fast in less than 2 years and they loved it, stayed MSSD for 4 years and graduated there in 2003 (same as my class), so I am sure u will be fine in MSSD and many people will give u some support such as personal counselor and many more people, MM... Pls feel free to ask me anything abt MSSD and I am willing to help u out :)

Fantastic. Instead of backing me now, my school and my parents would rather focus on making me blend in where I'm already f*cking miserable. Nevermind that I'm not socially on the same level as other people my age and that I have no real friends, let's just try to all pretend like the hearing aids magically fix all my problems and that there's nothing wrong. :mad: :cry:

Fantastic. Instead of backing me now, my school and my parents would rather focus on making me blend in where I'm already f*cking miserable. Nevermind that I'm not socially on the same level as other people my age and that I have no real friends, let's just try to all pretend like the hearing aids magically fix all my problems and that there's nothing wrong. :mad: :cry:

Did u tell them that it is y our life and your education? Sometimes it will take a huge battle to get there. Also, can u check with your guidance counselor about checking or making changes to your IEP (if u have one)?

I was confused. It turns out it's only an hour away. Thanks dd! :)

I sent my son to a Deaf School that was an hour away from our home. He attended as a day student....sometimes the transportation was a hassel, but it was well worth it for the educational and social opportunites it provided him. If you are that close, it would seem a shame not to take advantage of MSSD.

Did u tell them that it is y our life and your education? Sometimes it will take a huge battle to get there. Also, can u check with your guidance counselor about checking or making changes to your IEP (if u have one)?

My guidance counselor is a wonderful lady and more supportive than my parents, but she also thinks I should blend in, which I've been trying to do for years and it hasn't worked yet, so I don't know if/when she's planning on pulling a magic wand out of her ass to magically make it all better... And nope, I don't have an IEP, although they're talking about getting me one.

I sent my son to a Deaf School that was an hour away from our home. He attended as a day student....sometimes the transportation was a hassel, but it was well worth it for the educational and social opportunites it provided him. If you are that close, it would seem a shame not to take advantage of MSSD.

jil, if you live more than 12 miles away, you can live there, so I qualify. Transportaion wouldn't really be an issue.

That's too bad. I wish you luck with the battle ahead. I hope you get to go to this deaf school. I hope they eventually give way. I wish I could link them up to this school but since I live in England I don't know anything about it. Hope someone else can help.

My guidance counselor is a wonderful lady and more supportive than my parents, but she also thinks I should blend in, which I've been trying to do for years and it hasn't worked yet, so I don't know if/when she's planning on pulling a magic wand out of her ass to magically make it all better... And nope, I don't have an IEP, although they're talking about getting me one.

jil, if you live more than 12 miles away, you can live there, so I qualify. Transportaion wouldn't really be an issue.

Cool. That works our to your advantage. My son qualified as a residential student, as well. It was my preference to have him attend as a day student.

Hey,is your current school kinda whitebread? Do other kids who are "different" not fit in too well?
You could make the case that the lack of diversity is really inhibiting your academic acheivement. Are there other dhh kids there? Are most sped kids LD? You could argue that the resource room cannot provide the resources that a dhh kid needs to suceed.
I really honestly think that a lot of adults (35+) don't realize or have forgotten how awful high school can be, if you don't really fit in.

There is a state school, but I live in Northern Virginia a couple of hours outside of DC, and it seems to make more sense because it's a lot closer.

Hey shel, I'm wondering a lot about the social life, as well as how strong an arts program they have (I'm really into computer graphics). Also I'm interested in overall experiences other people have had with the school. Thanks. :ty:
(I'm also wondering if they'll eat me alive for being the random goth kid who sits in the corner... :eek3:)

I am going to say something I ordinarily wouldn't have any business saying but I can see that you are badly wanting to change your life and if you go some place like MSSD, and immerse yourself into the deaf culture, ummm, maybe you can leave the "gothiness" behind? :giggle: I'm serious, tho.

Not to put you down or force you to conform, but perhaps Tousi does have a point about the goth thing. Just tone it down a tad, but yeah, you should go to MSSD as you have indicated that's where you desire to be.

Be strong. And use all the weapons you can use at this point. Take care

People, I was goth a long time before I was hard of hearing. And for god's sakes, it's not like I run around in heavy black eye makeup every day. I think that people who choose to judge me based solely on my appearance aren't worth my time.

Me:
mm1.png

bench.png

Makeup here was only done for a Christmas party.
prezzie.png

Yeah, I look really dangerous. :roll:

People, I was goth a long time before I was hard of hearing. And for god's sakes, it's not like I run around in heavy black eye makeup every day. I think that people who choose to judge me based solely on my appearance aren't worth my time.

Me:
mm1.png

bench.png

Makeup here was only done for a Christmas party.
prezzie.png

Yeah, I look really dangerous. :roll:

Yes, you're right, of course and you're very pretty. I just thought what I suggested would improve your percentages in the very small world of the deaf, and proportionally, this population isn't much different than the greater one.

Back