MP3 Players ??

With the CI, I use the personal audio cable - the only irk I have is I cannot block out background noise like with t-coil

Have you got the telecoil set up yet on your map? It's possible your audie hasn't got around to it yet since you are newly activated?

When you get the telecoil on the Freedom, you'll be able to block out background noise with the personal audio cable. I like it that way too.

We can blast music all day long and we can't damage anything(hopefully).

Correct. No one with a CI can damage their hearing with one. There is a "governor" in the device that restricts the upper limit of input.

I was recently on an aircraft carrier as part of an all day cruise. They did a little airshow with the jets landing and blasting off. I didn't bother with earplugs as I have no hearing anyway. ;) It was wonderful to hear the roars of the jets so close to you. They were LOUD as in LOUD! I loved every second of it!!! Best part was absolutely no "ringing" in my ear like in my HA days.

Have you got the telecoil set up yet on your map? It's possible your audie hasn't got around to it yet since you are newly activated?

When you get the telecoil on the Freedom, you'll be able to block out background noise with the personal audio cable. I like it that way too.

Yeah the Tcoil is fine, but if I'm using the personal Audio cable that's attached to the CI, It's on EA setting, but I still can hear the background noise. That's what I meant. Or did you mean I can put it on T-coil mode and still use the audio cable? I'll have to try that. :)

With the CI, I use the personal audio cable - the only irk I have is I cannot block out background noise like with t-coil - and with the personal cable, NO ONE can hear my music, so I can blast it as loud as I want. ;-)

Try turning your sensitivity down to 0 and it should block out most background noises...it works for me! I don't like to have background noises while I'm listening to my mp3 player. :)

Yeah the Tcoil is fine, but if I'm using the personal Audio cable that's attached to the CI, It's on EA setting, but I still can hear the background noise. That's what I meant. Or did you mean I can put it on T-coil mode and still use the audio cable? I'll have to try that. :)

Yes, that's correct. When you get to EA mode, press the two buttons together again to get telecoil and hey presto! You should now see "T" on the LED. If you still hear the background noise then you might have telecoil mix rather than 100% telecoil.

Yes, that's correct. When you get to EA mode, press the two buttons together again to get telecoil and hey presto! You should now see "T" on the LED. If you still hear the background noise then you might have telecoil mix rather than 100% telecoil.

I've tried using 100% Telecoil. When I do, I cannot hear the background noise. All I hear is that familiar buzzing noise (which is normal as i'm used to it from HAs), BUT the personal Audio cable did not work. Yes, I've tried to turn off my processor first, to plug in the cable, then went to the EA mode, and then went to T-coil. Doesn't work. Maybe it's something that the audiologist have to set? I didn't know they could change the T-coil setting.

However, when I did Lucia's method of going to the EA mode, and turned my sensitivty to 0, works perfect.

Thanks! I enjoy learning new things with my spanky new toy. :-D

My hearing is naturally deteriorating - I'm not going to get hung up on preserving a db or 2 - actually or even 10 ... and I have 120 Db loss (or whatever "off the meters" is ) on my deaf side

The reality is that I could quite possible wake up one morning with 100db on my "hoh" side ~ meh ... I'd rather have a bit of fun - people always tell me I "THINK DEAF" anyway lol

not concerned in the slightest

I suppose everyone has a different attitude. People like you obviously have a positive attitude towards their hearing loss, which I admire. Yes, I think it is a great attitude to have. :)

I can't say that I have the same attitude, because as much as I enjoy listening to music and gadgets, I fear further damaging my hearing. So, I have avoided purchasing an mp3 player.

We CI users have no hearing left to lose! :giggle: Many of us are completely deaf already!

PS just noticed you are an Aussie! :)

Doh! You are right. I totally forgot..:)

Good to see another Australian btw :)

I've tried using 100% Telecoil. When I do, I cannot hear the background noise. All I hear is that familiar buzzing noise (which is normal as i'm used to it from HAs), BUT the personal Audio cable did not work. Yes, I've tried to turn off my processor first, to plug in the cable, then went to the EA mode, and then went to T-coil. Doesn't work. Maybe it's something that the audiologist have to set? I didn't know they could change the T-coil setting.

Yes, the telecoil setting is added on via the mapping software. It's not physically on the processor the way it is with a hearing aid. It could be that the audie hasn't yet added it to your map thinking that you would not need it right now. Mine didn't put the telecoil setting on my map until I was about 3 months post activation I think.

Anyway, it's great that Lucia's method works for you for the time being!

My hearing is naturally deteriorating - I'm not going to get hung up on preserving a db or 2 - actually or even 10 ... and I have 120 Db loss (or whatever "off the meters" is ) on my deaf side

The reality is that I could quite possible wake up one morning with 100db on my "hoh" side ~ meh ... I'd rather have a bit of fun - people always tell me I "THINK DEAF" anyway lol

not concerned in the slightest

i've got a 105 dB loss on my "HOH side" and an 85 dB loss on my "deaf side". kind of backwards, yeah, but what I mean is that my good ear is the one with the loss that is technically greater, but I have better speech discrimination in that ear. i listen to my ipod on my left ear with the 105 dB loss.

but just to let you know, i WOULD be concerned about losing more hearing. a BTE can only amplify so far (i have THE most powerful BTE that Phonak makes). I no longer get the proper amount of amplification on the side with the 105 dB loss and I can't hear normal conversation sounds (60dB or lower). i'm waitlisted for a cochlear implant ... but the wait list is 1 and a half years. you're in canada too, so i'd take note of that if i were you. you should still be careful about losing your hearing.

I have a 1st generation iPod Nano. I still use the earphones that came with it. i'm too lazy to buy new ones so i just wrap them a little bit around my ear and kind of tuck them behind my BTE so that they are as close to the microphone as possible. the nano is nice and loud, i usually listen to it on 50% volume, but always on telecoil setting.

I have a 1st generation iPod Nano. I still use the earphones that came with it. i'm too lazy to buy new ones so i just wrap them a little bit around my ear and kind of tuck them behind my BTE so that they are as close to the microphone as possible. the nano is nice and loud, i usually listen to it on 50% volume, but always on telecoil setting.

just to get this right ... you plug the standard headphones into the nano ... then you set it up so the headphones are close to the BTE mic, and flip to T-coil???

I've tried that and I can't hear anything (I only have OTM, not a M/T) ... you're not using it with the DAI then ??

I'll see if I can borrow a MP3 player from my sis (hearing) ... odd stuff

P.S. thank you :ty:for the concern re the hearing thing ... I don't mean to seem unconcerned ... my hearing is much more complicated than I explained - I even manage to confuse my Audies lol
- I'm not interested in CI ... so that's not really an issue ... I wish you the best of luck with yours though

thats amazing, i never knew mp3 players would work well on Telecoil. I have Oticon Sumo and I had the normal apple earphones, but it obviously means taking the hearing aid out to listen to music!! or are you using headphones?? But I can tell you music would probably be best on M (if you have OTM). I have M1,M2,T, so I always put mp3 and FM system on M2. Otherwise its always M1.

I'm not sure where to post this ...

I'm sort of debating trying an MP3 player to try listening to music and audiobooks, and to maybe watch movies on -???

I'm 'technically' Hoh (I can use an amplified phone if needed) ... and have a BTE and Audio boot ... but I'd still need something that went loud.

Soooo my question - for HAers and CIers what MP3 Players have you tried, what worked what didn't ... is it even worth bothering ??

suggestions ??

If its to loud you'll destroy some of the hearing you have left and you wont be getting that hearing back, ever. if its not lound enough you wont be hearing much of anything and you will be wasting your money.

If its to loud you'll destroy some of the hearing you have left and you wont be getting that hearing back, ever. if its not lound enough you wont be hearing much of anything and you will be wasting your money.

Yup - that's my balancing act ...

I have an IPOD Apple. It's my husband's own. I wish I can hear but I am profoundly deaf. My husband is hearing. I always play with Ipod for games, Photo, podcast, video and more. It's so Amazing! Also IPOD have Closed-Captioned. Is that cool?

If you guys saw my iPod Shuffle you'll laugh your head off. You see I used that pod so much (everyday) that it is all worn out. I mean it is falling apart. I have rubber bands holding it together! :eek: :laugh2:

I'm going to get a new one soon though! :wiggle:

I do also own an iPod Nano. I never use that one because the battery life is poor. It has to do with the display- it uses too much juice unlike the Shuffle that plays on forever.

Back