Moving to Texas to take advantage of the deaf college tuiton exemption; Worth it?

Then that makes you a texas resident.. meaning your eligible for this waiver

No, that means I live in Texas. I never established residency in Texas. I am still classified (as of Fall '08 semester) as a non-resident at Texas State University.

Go visit a major college campus. You will see hundreds of foreigners. They obviously live on campus or nearby, but yet, they are still non-residents. Therefore, how are United States residents any different?

No, that means I live in Texas. I never established residency in Texas. I am still classified (as of Fall '08 semester) as a non-resident at Texas State University.

Go visit a major college campus. You will see hundreds of foreigners. They obviously live on campus or nearby, but yet, they are still non-residents. Therefore, how are United States residents any different?

Dave, Did you find it challenging to get accepted into the Texas State University?
From what I am reading on here, it is difficult to get into these universities as there is a lot of competition among top grads.

Okay, I need to correct myself. Apparently, I was wrong. I HATE being wrong, but I'm wrong a lot. :roll: You do have to be a resident of Texas to apply for the Certificate of Deafness. I established residency by registering to vote. Once I was registered to vote, I applied for, and qualified for, the Certificate of Deafness. Sorry about my misinformation.

Don't worry about the challenge of getting into a 4 year college. Apply first at a community college (San Antonio College is recommended because of their ASL programs). Then, apply at a 4 year. It'll be much easier that way.

David

Okay, I need to correct myself. Apparently, I was wrong. I HATE being wrong, but I'm wrong a lot. :roll: You do have to be a resident of Texas to apply for the Certificate of Deafness. I established residency by registering to vote. Once I was registered to vote, I applied for, and qualified for, the Certificate of Deafness. Sorry about my misinformation.

Don't worry about the challenge of getting into a 4 year college. Apply first at a community college (San Antonio College is recommended because of their ASL programs). Then, apply at a 4 year. It'll be much easier that way.

David

LISTEN TO A WOMAN FOR ONCE!:roll:

A friend of mine is going back to college using the tuition waiver program. She wears a HA in one ear and has a CI in the other. I was told by a DARS person I would qualify for tuition waiver if I decided to go back and I have a sloping moderate to profound bilateral loss. I wear aids in both ears and do quite well with them. I don't believe HA's have any bearing on qualifying for the waiver. It only pays for tuition, though, not books or anything.

Someone asked about how hard it is to get into Texas schools. The OP mentioned University of Texas. Someone else mentioned Texas State. I just wanted to clarify those are two different schools. UT is one of the top colleges in the nation and *very* competitive. I am a graduate of our other big state school, Texas A&M (whoop!) so it's hard for me to say, but UT is a good school. Texas has a lots of great state colleges and universities where the waiver could be used. One benefit about UT for those on this list is that in Austin, there is a large Deaf community. (Texas State School for the Deaf is also located in Autin.)

Aw, too bad I didn't know while I was investigating going to veterinary school. A dean at Purdue University Veterinary School actually told me of a deaf veterinarian in California. To go there because that school could help me, and being a resident of California for lower tution.....

I decided not to go for another four years of school and being in debt. It's a good thing I didn't because I've changed in ways that I am glad I am not a large animal veterinarian I once wanted to be. I majored in Biomedical Photogrpahic Communications at RIT for this very reason. I watch E-Vets and love it. I got two weeks of E-Vet backed up in my DVDR thanks to the Olympics:giggle:

It's awesome for a deaf person going to Texas free! I'd JUMP at this!

A friend of mine is going back to college using the tuition waiver program. She wears a HA in one ear and has a CI in the other. I was told by a DARS person I would qualify for tuition waiver if I decided to go back and I have a sloping moderate to profound bilateral loss. I wear aids in both ears and do quite well with them. I don't believe HA's have any bearing on qualifying for the waiver. It only pays for tuition, though, not books or anything.

Someone asked about how hard it is to get into Texas schools. The OP mentioned University of Texas. Someone else mentioned Texas State. I just wanted to clarify those are two different schools. UT is one of the top colleges in the nation and *very* competitive. I am a graduate of our other big state school, Texas A&M (whoop!) so it's hard for me to say, but UT is a good school. Texas has a lots of great state colleges and universities where the waiver could be used. One benefit about UT for those on this list is that in Austin, there is a large Deaf community. (Texas State School for the Deaf is also located in Autin.)

They recently found two skeletons in a closet at Texas A&M. They were the 1939 Hide and Go Seek Champions.

Back