Moving to DC area in June - need advice

shastagrimes

Reaction score
I went through an interpreter program about 8 years ago but never got certified. I got my BA in Sign Language and then moved to my rural hometown where there was no one to interpret for or spend time with. I started teaching and got the high school to offer ASL which I've taught for the past 4 years. I really want to follow my passion of interpreting and we are at a place in life where we can move so I want to move to the DC metro area. We plan on heading up in June.

I need advice on several things:

1. I will be attending the NIC Exam review workshop at Gallaudet this summer to help prepare me for the actual test but until I take it are there jobs I would be able to pick up without certification since I have my BA already?

2. I would really like to find a mentor and I have e-mailed many agencies/interpreters only to be told they don't do mentorships or they just haven't responsed yet. Do any of you know interpreters willing to mentor or are any of you willing? (SLA is on hold b/c of the merger with Purple)

3. Can I get around to jobs with the metro system or will I need to drive? I do have a vehicle if I need it.

4. What are nice, safe but cheaper areas for me to find housing? I've been looking on Craigslist and doing general searches online but I'm sure you can give me some good input.

Thank you for all your help. Any and all advice is welcome.

Shasta Grimes

me again. sorry for not responding to your other questions, im not from usa so i am not sure if i can give you any advice. im sure many will respond to your msg.

im still shocked a hearing person can teach our language? in canada, only deaf people teach asl.

hearing people can teach ASL????

Hi there - Yes, hearing people can teach ASL. I'm on an e-mail list of many ASL teachers across the country and this is a "hot topic". Here are my thoughts on it:
1. BEST CASE - ASL teachers would be Deaf and good teachers (you can have a Deaf person who knows ASL but can't teach just as much as you can have a Hearing person who can teach but doesn't know great ASL)

2. Middle - You have a hearing teacher who is passionate about ASL and instills a love and respect for the Deaf culture and their language - may not be perfect ASL but most kids don't speak and write perfect English 18-36 weeks.

3. Worst - there are no deaf to teach and hearing aren't allowed so thousands of kids go through high school and learn about every other language and culture and miss one of the most important and amazing ones of all

Soooo....there are tons of arguments back and forth and I understand and respect both sides but I don't feel bad that I offered my students the opportunity to learn ASL even though I'm hearing.....I would feel bad if I took the job from a Deaf teacher but there were none applying.

Hope this helps. :)

good point. im trying to keep an open mind here.

BUT... why teach ASL and our culture to a bunch of hearing people in a small town, where they wouldn't be able to use or apply their learning? you know the saying, if you dont use it, you lose it.

also, many deaf people are willing to move or travel for work. did you try to advertise the posting?

again, i know you mean well. i might come across a bit possessive about our language and culture, we have endured many years of oppression and abuse. so please don't take it personal.

good luck with your move.

up in June.

I need advice on several things:

1. I will be attending the NIC Exam review workshop at Gallaudet this summer to help prepare me for the actual test but until I take it are there jobs I would be able to pick up without certification since I have my BA already?

2. I would really like to find a mentor and I have e-mailed many agencies/interpreters only to be told they don't do mentorships or they just haven't responsed yet. Do any of you know interpreters willing to mentor or are any of you willing? (SLA is on hold b/c of the merger with Purple)

3. Can I get around to jobs with the metro system or will I need to drive? I do have a vehicle if I need it.

4. What are nice, safe but cheaper areas for me to find housing? I've been looking on Craigslist and doing general searches online but I'm sure you can give me some good input.
Thank you for all your help. Any and all advice is welcome.
Shasta Grimes

I only can answer number 3.
From my own witness, lots of interprters came to see me for any kind of workship or any places. They did mention that they use cars only if they can drive to MD or VA. I assume some of them are free lancers. I think getting a small car is good enough to fit in the crowded parking in dc. If you live in DC and plan to work any where in DC then use the metro subway system.

#4 i wish i could help but i left DC 8 years ago. I don't know what's up with DC since now. Some of members still live in DC. hope they can be able to help you. Last time I lived, and loved that area. Its on east capitol st and 11 street south east. I lived in the tiny apartment in front of the lincoln park. My opinion is to living in front of the lincon park was the best thing in my life! I can watch those peeps bring their dogs to hang out there and i used to jog there too. Mind you, yes its full of bad air pollution because of the cars around the lincon park. Odd enough for the nice spot where are next to the busy cars. hope others will answer you about the plave to live.

good point. im trying to keep an open mind here.

BUT... why teach ASL and our culture to a bunch of hearing people in a small town, where they wouldn't be able to use or apply their learning? you know the saying, if you dont use it, you lose it.

also, many deaf people are willing to move or travel for work. did you try to advertise the posting?

again, i know you mean well. i might come across a bit possessive about our language and culture, we have endured many years of oppression and abuse. so please don't take it personal.

good luck with your move.

Since I've started teaching I've had a handful of students decide to go into interpreting. We've also impacted the entire community by working with the few deaf kids at the elementary schools and putting on a sign language concert. Families with deaf kids who didn't even know sign language was an option becuase they've only had the medical side shown to them now either incorporate sign language are are looking at better options in a different community for their kids.

I know the job posted was on the Fl. Dept. of Ed. site and on the district site but I'm not sure if any Deaf applied. It would be a lonely place for a Deaf person to live at least an hour commute from any decent Deaf community. I'm not sure what the statistics are either for certified Deaf teachers but I think they are hard to come by and the states have gotten really strict on how to obtain a teaching certification and it's impossible to teach in a public school without it.

I'm not offended and I know that I don't do the ASL class justice but I'm not trying to oppress the Deaf community by taking a job they should have. I'm hoping that with all I've taught my students that they will be the ones that make a difference and act different in the future towards and with the Deaf members of society when they do graduate and move into the real world. Without this education and basic knowledge they would be like everyone else, ignorant. And while you are correct that ideally it should be someone Deaf teaching the course I just can't see witholding this knowledge because there was no one else available to teach it.

It's okay for you to disagree and I appreciate your honest thoughts and questions. I know many hearing people mean well and do more harm than good or are just trying to control the Deaf so it's just natural to have your belief system shaped by that.

Hi there. Hoping someone will post soon. :) I have another question. I am submitting a video of myself voicing and signing to an agency to see if I am skilled enough to work. She told me after viewing my videos she would tell me if I could work staff or freelance. I understand the basic differences but what other differences are there as far as pay and flexability or anything else you may know. I didn't want to ask too many questions until I get offered something. (fingers crossed that I'll get offered something)

Thanks!!!

me again. sorry for not responding to your other questions, im not from usa so i am not sure if i can give you any advice. im sure many will respond to your msg.

im still shocked a hearing person can teach our language? in canada, only deaf people teach asl.

Actually, the first ASL course I took was at Mount Royal College In Calgary, Alberta and it was taught by a hearing person.

Back