movies that accurately portray the Deaf?

wembley75

Reaction score
hello all :)
i am hearing and have started studying ASL and am interested in learning as much as i can about Deaf culture. can any of you recommend some good movies for me to watch that accurately portray Deaf characters and Deaf culture? or television shows? i would really appreciate it!

thanks in advance

hmm as far as i am concerned there's none, children of the lesser god is crap. the best ive seen so far, which shows a reality to the closest autheticity it can get, was an episode of "Super Nanny" which a nanny visits a home with parent(s) struggling with unruly children, to help devise a means to impose control to restore order. Well there was one with a deaf couple (they were USELESS) with 4 children one eldest whom was conveniently used as a 24/7 babysitter/step-in parent to grapple with the youngest three. 9this is a problem with CODAs - Children Of Deaf Adults) This was very revealing in my opinion but it also requires some level of education or suitable background knowledge to appreciation the problem. Said this, the problem displayed or suggested was indeed multi diminensional in a lot of ways, so it is still subjective! but its still a hell of alot more realistic than the flaky hollywoodised "children of the (sic) god" geez...
i cant think of anything, im not from UK or USA so we have very limited access to film/television media on this subject.
lastly, this is my opinion, I make no apology if this offends anyone, it is just I can be blunt so get over it.

How about "Love Is Never Silent"? It is a great movie in my opinion.

hmm as far as i am concerned there's none, children of the lesser god is crap. the best ive seen so far, which shows a reality to the closest autheticity it can get, was an episode of "Super Nanny" which a nanny visits a home with parent(s) struggling with unruly children, to help devise a means to impose control to restore order. Well there was one with a deaf couple (they were USELESS) with 4 children one eldest whom was conveniently used as a 24/7 babysitter/step-in parent to grapple with the youngest three. 9this is a problem with CODAs - Children Of Deaf Adults) This was very revealing in my opinion but it also requires some level of education or suitable background knowledge to appreciation the problem. Said this, the problem displayed or suggested was indeed multi diminensional in a lot of ways, so it is still subjective! but its still a hell of alot more realistic than the flaky hollywoodised "children of the (sic) god" geez...
i cant think of anything, im not from UK or USA so we have very limited access to film/television media on this subject.
lastly, this is my opinion, I make no apology if this offends anyone, it is just I can be blunt so get over it.
I agree. I was looking forward to seeing how Super Nanny turned out since I've often thought that it was the deaf parents that struggled the most with hearing children. But when I watched that episode, I was actually disappointed in how the parents turned this thing into something else. It started out good, but then they turn around and "assigned" their oldest daughter to be the babysitter while they go on a cruise (without actually talking to her). Even the others at the table just sat there with facial expressions like they were okay with it instead of being against it. Now, it makes me think that there are actually a lot more deaf parents who aren't really trying as they say they are. :roll:

"The Heart is a lonely Hunter" is a good movie about two deaf friends I am not sure how accurately it portray the deaf , but it does show a very moving story about two deaf men . I love this movie and book.

Back